Pool Tournaments During COVID Pandemic

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Question for JAM -- Out of curiosity I wondered whether Keith (whose game I've admired for many years) still sometimes plays in these tournaments, and does he wear a mask when he attends now?

Thanks for any reply.

Arnaldo
Keith wears a mask every time he steps out of the house. Every single time.

The point of this thread when I initiated it was truly not about the pros and cons of wearing masks. It's about pool tournaments and weekly league events happening during this pandemic. Unfortunately, many of tournament-goers and league-goers are not social distancing and/or wearing masks. Either they don't think the pandemic is serious or they want to exercise their "personal choice."

I have many friends who own pool rooms, and I can empathize with their stance for economical reasons to remain open and provide a venue for pool events. It helps them financially stay afloat, and we need pool rooms more than ever in USA. So many have gone under in the past decade, actually ever since the smoking ban. Pool is not popular with mainstream America. We are, indeed, a small microcosm in the world of sports.

In this regard, should pool tournaments and leagues be happening during a global pandemic, one in which the United States has the highest rate of infection and deaths? That's the pool-related question that initiated this thread.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The World Grand Prix Snooker championship sponsored by Matchroom.live is in progress. Look at the staff that comes out between each and every match in the audience-less stage. They sanitize everything: the rails, the tables, the mechanical bridges, the tables, the chairs, the stage wall railings, every single thing that anyone would touch. Players are tested daily before they are allowed to compete. If they have a temperature, they are not allowed to play and are forfeited.

At one recent pool tournament, a competitor was tested because he was coughing profusely and felt ill. It turned out he had a fever, according to the fever meter the tournament staff used on him, yet he was allowed to continue participating in the tournament. This is shocking to me. Personal choice? Hogwash. This lies on the edge of lunacy.

Attachments

• covid CREW.png
    covid CREW.png
    785.1 KB · Views: 107

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At one recent pool tournament, a competitor was tested because he was coughing profusely and felt ill. It turned out he had a fever, according to the fever meter the tournament staff used on him, yet he was allowed to continue participating in the tournament. This is shocking to me. Personal choice? Hogwash. This lies on the edge of lunacy.
Here's an alarming example of gov't lunacy . . . if this article is shown to be accurate. In terms of deviously-fostered attitudes, it describes some tragically bad and now traceable executive decisions, Jennie, relating to some of the many infections -- including obviously -- pool players young and older alike regularly socially engaging absent all recommended precautions:

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/12/16/trump-appointee-demanded-herd-immunity-strategy-446408

Last edited:

Chembry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Statistical analysis performed on metadata from medical/clinical/scientific studies with citations so you can go pull the studies firsthand.
Ivermectin is an interesting molecule. However, clinical trials would need to proceed with great caution. In vitro studies showed some promise, but at 10,000 times higher doses than what was traditionally used in humans. This would need to be very carefully vetted out. A recent meta-data found only weak evidence. Here is a direct quote from the article

"However, this should be inferred cautiously as the quality of evidence is very low. Currently, many clinical trials are on-going, and definitive evidence for repurposing this drug for COVID-19 patients will emerge only in the future."

One other point of caution on Ivermectin. CNS toxicity is well known to occur and has been observed in humans as well as rats.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Johnny Archer just tested positive for COVID after competing in the 5 Rivers Holiday Classic 9-ball event at Jac's All American Billiards & Brews in Tennessee. He has a fever and is in pain from coughing. I pray for Johnny to have a full recovery.

Everybody on-site at that event should get tested. It is a shame folks did not wear masks and practice social distancing. Photos below are from the event in Tennessee. When you play pool, you touch the rack, the balls, the table, the bridge, et cetera. COVID germs can be transmitted on surfaces. One person can infect thousands and not know it, and some people get COVID but are asymptomatic and never know it, yet they can transmit the virus to others who can get deathly sick.

Pool events continue to happen daily, yet I read pool people are getting sick and/or dying from COVID daily. Do you think it is okay to have pool tournaments like this during the pandemic? I realize this is a difficult and contentious issue. Pool rooms are suffering from the economy, and pool players, social shooters and pros, have nothing to shoot for anymore. Weekly leagues are ongoing, but I see very few people social distancing or wearing masks.

Share your thoughts.
No surprise here. The Covid numbers are higher per capita in Tennessee right now then anywhere else in the United States.

There is no winning in a thread like this. Some of us believe the medical experts and are taking the necessary precautions, and some of us do not believe anything they are being told about the virus (and even worse believe what Trump has been telling them for the last nine months). That is the world we live in today and why the United States is the epicenter of the Covid-19 virus worldwide. I doubt that anything will change in the near future since people appear to have their minds made up one way or the other. What may ultimately bring this to an end is the introduction of enough vaccines to diminish significantly the threat this disease poses to all of us. I suspect by late Spring to early Summer things will have ramped down enough that we can began to live a semi normal life and not be as concerned about getting ill. Life will slowly return to the way it was before with all the other disparities to argue about that we've been fighting over for decades. Ah, such is life.

Last edited:

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The World Grand Prix Snooker championship sponsored by Matchroom.live is in progress. Look at the staff that comes out between each and every match in the audience-less stage. They sanitize everything: the rails, the tables, the mechanical bridges, the tables, the chairs, the stage wall railings, every single thing that anyone would touch. Players are tested daily before they are allowed to compete. If they have a temperature, they are not allowed to play and are forfeited.

Hi Jen, Thank you for starting this thread and attempting to warn folks about the dangers of Covid. The one time I went into a pool room since mid March was to see what it was like. They had a tournament in a 10 table place, it was packed. I had on a mask and one other person I saw. I left in under 60 seconds and have not returned. The idea that people would believe they know more than medical professionals such as Dr. Fauci is not surprising but idiotic non the less. Maybe they are like people that shoot fentanyl and think it won't happen to me.. Good luck to them.
Luckily for us we live in Orange County, N.C. and have managed to do quite well with Covid. We are surrounded by counties with far higher numbers...

Hope you and Keith are well and stay well!

Chembry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This second paper on cautioning the use of Ivermectin is comped due to using data collected through the WHO. The WHO is a globalist bureaucratic organization that is beholden to the CCP and other interests. As you are aware...WHO also cautions against use of HCQ for it being so dangerous....so dangerous that it is sold Over The Counter in countries where malaria is prevalent. These same bureaucrats are decrying results seen in treatment with HCQ or Ivermectin as anecdotal evidence but meanwhile push the studies for masking which are ALL based on anecdotal evidence with absolutely no double-blind, clinical trials. We are learning that even the most revered peer-reviewed journals were not immune to publishing flawed studies or worse when it came to dangers of HCQ and lack of efficacy as both the NEJM and The Lancet had to retract studies publiahed in their respective journals.

Doctors prescribe medications for "off label" use all the time. Only when it came to treating COVID has the government and its bureaucratic agencies in the United States and abroad along with their propaganda MSM taken to putting a stop to it.
People can choose for themselves. I am simply sharing my opinion and trying to provide the information where others can read or liaten sirectly for themselves and make informed decisions. Hospitals and healthcare in general are businesses. They are in business to make a profit. Even non-profit businesses have to pay their employees and gibe incentives for increasing treatments and procedures. Those providers who work for them have to answer to the directors and executives (executive management who are typically not even doctors)...thus they are going to publicly toe the line and not go against the corporate response or the policy for treating COVID patients...typically it is get fluids, plenty of rest, and call 911 or go to the ER if symptoms ge lt worae or you have difficulty breathing. Unless you are willing to participate in a clinical study which the hospital is participating. Of course then tou get in-patient treatment and the hospital double dips...likely getting fundimg for tbe study AND they get to bill you and your inaurance for in-patient care. You notice you only hear from ICU or ER doctors....why are we not hearing from primary care physicians at these same institutions? It's because they have been told to tell them the above...go home and see how it goes.

I am well aware doctors prescribe off label use all the time. I am also well aware of HCQ, and it's obvious we come down on very different sides of that argument. I also agree that people should have the right to make informed decisions.

I have first hand experience with the use of Ivermectin and avermectin in a potential development program. I can't get into the details, but it was a very similar situation where in vitro activity was in the same range as it was for COVID (mircomolar range). The program never made it to the clinic and failed due to CNS toxicity.

There are also some other drug repurposing efforts that haven't paid off:

Chembry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will need to read the papers you have linked. I see

I will read the additional links. It looks like you may be a chemist. I am as well although I have not worked in the lab in years and the bulk of my experience has been in the food ingredient industry.
You are perceptive. Yes, I have a PhD in Medicinal Chemistry.
Nice. I don’t know much about the food industry. Always good to talk to another chemist. Cheers!

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Perhaps if doctors were permitted to actually treat patients there would be fewer severely ill people and deaths. Private practice doctors who are not beholden to a behemith health conglomerate can actually use their judgement without fear of losing their job. Pharmacists who receive scripts from doctors but who have received guidance from state pharmacy boards not to fill HCQ or Ivermectin scripts for suspected COVID treatments are also to blame. The medical and scientific industrial complexes who are in turn owned by the global financial elites have used COVID to influence politics, destroy locally owned private businesses and push for mandates regarding vaccinations that will then be required annually. Pfizer and Moderna stand to make $32 billion in the first year with their mRNA COVID vaccines. There would be no need for vaccines with effective treatments...thus the suppression of any existing, generic drug that works. Fear is a great motivator....especially the fear of death. More and more info is leaking out about the outright lies surrounding the virus. You wont hear about it on TV or in the local newspapers either...but the info is out there. There are brave doctors and scientists willing to risk it all to speak the truth.
the problem with the "covid exaggerated by the healthcare industry" theory is that it doesn't hold water outside the US. in the rest of the world most hospitals are not owned by private business conglomerates, and healthcare isn't a private enterprise, yet COVID deaths and hospitalizations are rampant, in sweden, belgium, russia, UK. no matter what healthcare system we have in place it all comes down to the fact that the number of intensive care patients cannot exceed the number of available intensive care beds.

Maxx

AzB Platinum Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I will need to read the papers you have linked. I see

I will read the additional links. It looks like you may be a chemist. I am as well although I have not worked in the lab in years and the bulk of my experience has been in the food ingredient industry.
Clark, is that you? Did you ever get that pool? :)

Doug

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Those who are frontline essential workers, and pool players, are understandably confused and upset when reading comments like these. They are the ones working double shifts 7 days a week and watching first hand people dying. Naturally there is no agreeable answer and won't be. What would force the issue towards resolution, but not eliminate debate, is if people seeking hospitalization with covid-19 had not been taking recommended choices that frontline workers could choose to or not to treat them. Not suggesting this but trying to illustrate the point that all precautions should be taken even by those who disagree with them. Small inconvenience it seems.

Patrick53212

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the problem with the "covid exaggerated by the healthcare industry" theory is that it doesn't hold water outside the US. in the rest of the world most hospitals are not owned by private business conglomerates, and healthcare isn't a private enterprise, yet COVID deaths and hospitalizations are rampant, in sweden, belgium, russia, UK. no matter what healthcare system we have in place it all comes down to the fact that the number of intensive care patients cannot exceed the number of available intensive care beds.

Corruption. Period.

Patrick53212

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are right. No way that all the governments can be corrupt. That is crazy talk.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Johnny reported on Facebook that he is Ok with a little residual cough. He thanked all for their prayers.
JA also said that COVID is "no joke" and that his cough was brutal for days.

COVID affects people differently. Some people are asymptomatic and show no symptoms at all, yet they are carriers and can transmit COVID in the pool room they frequent, exercising their "personal choice." Somebody in the pool room gets COVID from this asymptomatic person, gets very sick, and in some instances, they and/or their loved ones could die. This happened because some asshole went in a pool room that did not wear a mask or social distance themselves, and it was like pulling a trigger to the life of others, unbeknownst to them. No masks and no social distancing means they are carriers and they are murderers by choice; that is, personal choice.

I see posters every single day from pool rooms hosting league nights and pool tournaments. I guess it's a personal choice, right? People are dying, and it is getting worse, yet it's a personal choice being exercised by stupid Americans.

USA, all the way? I think not anymore. America is failing miserably, and I'm ashamed for the stupidity of those pool players, pool rooms, and others exercising their "personal choice."

Allison Fisher was right. She said the reason nobody wanted to fly to America to attend a Vegas event a while back is because the entire world recognizes USA is not doing much to prevent the transmission.

To those who think it's a personal choice and exercise it by playing pool without social distancing and wearing a mask, SHAME ON YOU!

Last edited:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is no proof of asymptomatic carriers. None.A positive COVID test and no symptoms is not proof. A test is used after diagnosis of symptoms. It is that way for every illness.
You have no idea what you're talking about. I can go on Google and post up thousands of links, just like you. There are people that are asymptomatic. For every link you post, I can post better. I do research for a living, and as well, I have worked on NUMEROUS jobs pertaining to this topic in recent weeks. NUMEROUS! Anybody who thinks nobody is asymptomatic is a fool.