World Cup Of Pool (9-14 May2021) $250K Prizemoney

Jimmorrison

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Scotch doubles is a different kind of animal. Highest skilled individual players don’t necessarily have a big advantage. A team that meshes well can go far. The best players will still prevail, but Sky and Billy could be included in that upper tier.

CaleAYS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Of course, it's possible you are right.

Still, my thinking here is that they're making a statement here in not inviting SVB, and the choice to replace him with Billy Thorpe may well be the result of the fact that Billy is the more accomplished of the two American players that supported their new Predator Championship League event by participating. I think it unlikely that Matchroom gave any thought at all to whether Billy and Sky would mesh as a team. I'm not buying the argument that they feel a need to promote other American players. Plain and simple, the World Cup of Pool is a more marketable product with SVB in it.

Although it would greatly please me, it's hard to imagine Sky and Billy winning the event. On the other hand, if Team Taiwan and Team China leave their best players at home the way Team Philippines did, things get quite a bit easier.
At first glance I thought the same thing about SVB not attending the CLP, but remember Sky also withdrew from the CLP. As well as Jayson and Fedor who are both playing. It’s very possible the CLP may have played a factor but I don’t think it’s the main reason.
I do think that SVB doesn’t have the best relationship with Emily for whatever reason though. Even before CLP she’s made numerous sly remarks about him and his social media being more about fishing than pool among other things.
SVB is our best player and has been for over a decade and very well will be for the next decade. Matchroom knows that and I think they are making a good choice in getting exposure to other American players in a big international event.
I totally agree however that Matchroom doesn’t care if they would mesh as a team, but lucky for us they are great friends and should be comfortable and hopefully have a decent showing. But I also think they like the idea of the two fun loving good ole boys with the mullets for TV.

Last edited:

PoolPlayer4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Of course, it's possible you are right.

Still, my thinking here is that they're making a statement here in not inviting SVB, and the choice to replace him with Billy Thorpe may well be the result of the fact that Billy is the more accomplished of the two American players that supported their new Predator Championship League event by participating. I think it unlikely that Matchroom gave any thought at all to whether Billy and Sky would mesh as a team. I'm not buying the argument that they feel a need to promote other American players. Plain and simple, the World Cup of Pool is a more marketable product with SVB in it.

Although it would greatly please me, it's hard to imagine Sky and Billy winning the event. On the other hand, if Team Taiwan and Team China leave their best players at home the way Team Philippines did, things get quite a bit easier.
I've been all on board with Matchroom leading the way for growth in U.S. pool. For the first time, I went to the last two in-person Mosconi Cups. I bought all the world events I could. So, I really want to give Matchroom the benefit of the doubt and be supportive.

BUT, I didn't buy the CPL because of the situation with the logos and, especially, Emily's comments about SVB. I was planning to buy a new Predator cue that very week as a backup to my Revo and decided not to and to look at alternatives. It just didn't sit right with me for our best players to be excluded. And, I thought the extent of the logo requirement for a direct competitor to the player's sponsors was unjustified and a modest and reasonable adjustment on Predator or Matchroom's part would have solved the issue.

I can only interpret inviting Billy instead of Shane for the World Cup as Emily playing hardball with SVB. He's still the best U.S. player and Shane and Sky is clearly a stronger team. Shane doesn't need to be bowed to, but I believe she is mishandling this and I'm offended at her insulting him. For me, it has exactly the feel of Dana White trashing any of his stars who don't toe the company line. It turned me off the UFC and I don't watch anymore. That won't happen with pool since it is my true passion. But, I don't like it. It is raising concerns about what pool will be like here if Matchroom's role in the U.S. increases.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been all on board with Matchroom leading the way for growth in U.S. pool. For the first time, I went to the last two in-person Mosconi Cups. I bought all the world events I could. So, I really want to give Matchroom the benefit of the doubt and be supportive.

BUT, I didn't buy the CPL because of the situation with the logos and, especially, Emily's comments about SVB. I was planning to buy a new Predator cue that very week as a backup to my Revo and decided not to and to look at alternatives. It just didn't sit right with me for our best players to be excluded. And, I thought the extent of the logo requirement for a direct competitor to the player's sponsors was unjustified and a modest and reasonable adjustment on Predator or Matchroom's part would have solved the issue.

I can only interpret inviting Billy instead of Shane for the World Cup as Emily playing hardball with SVB. He's still the best U.S. player and Shane and Sky is clearly a stronger team. Shane doesn't need to be bowed to, but I believe she is mishandling this and I'm offended at her insulting him. For me, it has exactly the feel of Dana White trashing any of his stars who don't toe the company line. It turned me off the UFC and I don't watch anymore. That won't happen with pool since it is my true passion. But, I don't like it. It is raising concerns about what pool will be like here if Matchroom's role in the U.S. increases.
What were Emily’s comments about SVB?

PoolPlayer4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What were Emily’s comments about SVB?
Before the CPL, she made flippant on-air comments including how Shane was only interested in ice fishing and she thought he was retired. I believe she made similar comments about him another time but I've forgotten exactly when it was.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When you say "flippant" comments are you referring to what some Americans call "English humour"? I'd just call it humour.
I am on the fence on this. The British do have a dry sense of humor, and I am going to give Emily Frazier the benefit of the doubt. I have never met her, but she just seems genuinely nice to the players. I think she may have been trying to be funny on the air.

Yes, it was in poor taste, speaking as an American, but as an American, I am very sensitive to anything the Brits and European entities say about our players.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I can definitely see the logic in your thoughts. Matchroom is in control of the direction pool is taking on a global scale right now. We Americans can either come along for the ride or be left at the station. Our regional tours and one-off events are great for local players, social shooters, weekend warriors, and the like, but they don't even compare against what Matchroom is doing for pool as a professional sport. As such, I'm going to try to enjoy what Matchroom has to offer, with Emily Frazer leading the way. I think she is trying very hard to make something good happen for pool.

With Barry Hearn leaving the control of the entire operation to his son, who most definitely is a boxing enthusiast, I worry about pool continuing on the trajectory it is now. He may decide pool is not worth it because it's not a money-maker like snooker, darts, and boxing. I hope I am wrong.

Matchroom is the only game in down for professional pool, and as such, we Americans must climb aboard the Matchroom train if we want our professional pool to survive. We have less than a handful of professional-caliber players, as the existing lot of pro players has dwindled tremendously, and there's not much new blood entering the scene. I don't like the way Matchroom is handling the broadcast, with Americans required to use DAZN. It's not about the money. As most know, DAZN coverage sucks. The broadcast is fraught with problems of buffering, freezing, and outages. But it's better than no pool, I guess.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I think the inclusion of new countries is great. Perhaps it will help to popularize pool in these countries.

PS So far, China and Taiwan, two of the favorites, are missing from the field. It wouldn't be the World Cup of Pool without them!
Marco Fu has been stranded in Hong Kong for a whole season of snooker.
The Chinese snooker players in England are stranded from their families in China.
...perhaps there’s some regulations we don’t know about.

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Marco Fu has been stranded in Hong Kong for a whole season of snooker.
The Chinese snooker players in England are stranded from their families in China.
...perhaps there’s some regulations we don’t know about.
It's almost impossible to get into China, or back into China at the moment.

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
When you say "flippant" comments are you referring to what some Americans call "English humour"? I'd just call it humour.
I remember her comments. I absolutely think she was trying to be humorous. I've seen her interact with the players so much, in person and on streams. She's very witty, sarcastic, and funny. I think she's cute too. :)

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
With Barry Hearn leaving the control of the entire operation to his son, who most definitely is a boxing enthusiast, I worry about pool continuing on the trajectory it is now. He may decide pool is not worth it because it's not a money-maker like snooker, darts, and boxing. I hope I am wrong.

Matchroom is the only game in down for professional pool, and as such, we Americans must climb aboard the Matchroom train if we want our professional pool to survive. We have less than a handful of professional-caliber players, as the existing lot of pro players has dwindled tremendously, and there's not much new blood entering the scene. I don't like the way Matchroom is handling the broadcast, with Americans required to use DAZN. It's not about the money. As most know, DAZN coverage sucks. The broadcast is fraught with problems of buffering, freezing, and outages. But it's better than no pool, I guess.
Take a deep bow, JAM, for one of the best posts of the year on this forum. Let's hope American pros see the big picture as clearly as you.

Matchroom is, indeed, doing some special things in pool, but the landscape of the pro game has been enhanced in some other ways, too. CSI's Diamond 10-ball in Las Vegas is a nice new event, CSI's World 10-ball Championship looks like a winner, and Pat Fleming's International 9-ball is another relatively new event that has a bright future. American (as well as European and Asian) pros must buy in to these superb events and support the event producers. As a result of all these and other efforts, more players will earn a decent living from pro pool than at any time in the recent past.

• Love
Reactions: JAM

PoolPlayer4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can definitely see the logic in your thoughts. Matchroom is in control of the direction pool is taking on a global scale right now. We Americans can either come along for the ride or be left at the station. Our regional tours and one-off events are great for local players, social shooters, weekend warriors, and the like, but they don't even compare against what Matchroom is doing for pool as a professional sport. As such, I'm going to try to enjoy what Matchroom has to offer, with Emily Frazer leading the way. I think she is trying very hard to make something good happen for pool.

Agree completely. That's why I prefaced my comment by saying I've been 100% supportive and enthused that Matchroom can do something great with pool in the U.S. I don't think I'm misinterpreting the situation with Shane and I hope Emily adjusts her approach on that and a couple other things (the CPL logo issue, DAZN, etc.). But, at the events I've been to, she is a visible presence making sure it is well run and obviously is very invested in making this a success for Matchroom. I can only applaud that aspect and will keep attending and watching.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Agree completely. That's why I prefaced my comment by saying I've been 100% supportive and enthused that Matchroom can do something great with pool in the U.S. I don't think I'm misinterpreting the situation with Shane and I hope Emily adjusts her approach on that and a couple other things (the CPL logo issue, DAZN, etc.). But, at the events I've been to, she is a visible presence making sure it is well run and obviously is very invested in making this a success for Matchroom. I can only applaud that aspect and will keep attending and watching.
Very well said!

You are clearly not being intolerant here, but instead buying into Matchroom's vision, while expressing that you're not on board with every single step they've taken. Agreed that they're not perfect, but as JAM noted, at the moment, it is Matchroom and Emily Frazer steering the ship that is pro pool, and those that stand to gain the most need to do everything in their power to give Matchroom a chance to realize their vision for pool.

While I agree with you that DAZN is a substandard stream product, I don't want Emily to change her style at all. She has an aggressive vision, a work ethic to match, and she will be the one calling the shots (pun intended). That's as it should be, and while I'm sure she'll solicit input and feedback from the players as she sees fit, she'll be the one making the big decisions and won't be bullied by the players into actions that in any way compromise her agenda for pro pool.

Emily is the perfect woman for the job. Personally, I hope she'll rule with an iron hand. Strong, assertive and aggressive leadership is what's needed at this moment in the history of pool. Like every effective leader, she'll sometimes have to play hardball with those that obstruct the accomplishment of her goals, but that's just as it should be. She's got my fullest support.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
taiwan then? it would be a weird world cup (and world championship, us open) without any of them
It would be a shame, but we can rest assured that Matchroom will offer the best possible pool product that these times allow. If the logistics are, in some way, against them, that's unfortunate, but they will find a way to produce a great event one way or the other.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
3 more countries (Iceland, Serbia, Slovakia) added to bring total to 30 teams. Only 2 slots left
Iceland Zophonias Arnason & Magnus Arnason
Serbia Aleksa Peceij & Andreja Klasovic
Slovakia Jabub Koniar & Jaroslav Polach

30.JPG

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Final 2 teams (Belarus Margarita Fefilova & Yana Halliday, South Africa Richard Halliday & Vincent Halliday) added so all 32 teams complete.
Interestingly, Belarus sending all female team. (Margarita Fefilova is Tyler Styer's other half.)
2 of the 4 most successful teams (Taiwan , China) are absent https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Cup_of_Pool#Performances_by_nation
Will still be good event cos WCOP always deliver on the drama and action. :ROFLMAO:

32.JPG

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here is the full draw from a Matchroom press release....

Full Draw copy.jpg

Australia?!?