The only video you need about aiming.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Screenshot from 2021-05-19 09-13-04.png

Some day when I pony up for a membership here, I'll make this my avatar :)

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
As
Precision and Accuracy
goes
So does your pool game
Jmho

claymont

JADE
Gold Member
Silver Member
Nicely done video, but the content is only part of the equation for playing effectively.

duckie

GregH
Silver Member
Hmmm, course I got comments......

Aiming line........is really CB direction of travel line

A cue stick has a center line. The only time the cue stick center line can be on the CB direction of travel line or aiming line is a center ball shot or just using the vertical axis of the CB.

When spin is used, the cue stick center line is not on the CB direction of travel line.

When shooting jacked up over a ball, it is impossible to know if the cue tip is pointed correctly like mentioned.

duckie

GregH
Silver Member
Oh ya, this video provides a prime example of the difference between a objective aiming method and a subjective aiming method.

Semantics...?

Mind explaining your thoughts here...? Speaking for myself I know where my cue tip is pointed when jacked up over a ball.

In the video, it shows just the cue tip being pointed toward the OB and using that as a reference.

There are shots where the OB is not in your field of vision, like shooting jack up over a ball.

And since the cue is pointed at a downward angle toward the table, the “ aiming line "is pretty useless.

Not semantics.....better definition.

I bring alot of real world pool playing experiences into the mix.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
There are shots where the OB is not in your field of vision, like shooting jack up over a ball.
And since the cue is pointed at a downward angle toward the table, the “ aiming line "is pretty useless.
Except for the portion of the aiming line that still in your field of vision. Blind shot 101 is to only aim the CB down the first 6 to 12 inches of the aim line. If your fundamentals are solid the rest really shouldn't matter.
Not semantics.....better definition.
You kinda responded to my post out of order. The example of semantics was you correcting "Aiming line" with "CB direction of travel line". It's the same thing. Well hold on, let me recant that.... Your "aim line" may differ from the actual direction of travel if you're applying enough spin to develop squirt. However I don't think you're digging that deep.
I bring alot of real world pool playing experiences into the mix.
Who doesn't....? Do you have the decoder ring..?

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Around the 12min mark, in reason #5, "aiming is easy", he shows a trial and error "quadrant" system/method of practicing in order to develop a good eye for cut shots. Prior to that point in the video he also mentions the importance of developing "sight pictures" in your mind to help visualize shots.

He says no aiming system can do this for you, but apparently he has never seen Poolology. The sole intent of the system is to help players develop a good eye (sight pictures) for cut shots. It does this by providing a known fractional aim line without having to guess, without having to rely on trial and error within one "quadrant" or another.

I agree with every point he makes in the video, except how he stacks all aiming systems into the same junk pile, with the exception of "quadrant" ghostball aiming. The same type of quadrant practice can be used with traditional fractions or contact points. It's called rote, or HAMB, all based on trial and error and guesstimation. Eventually, with enough practice, your brain figures out where to aim, and that's when you finally start building a visual database of "sight pictures" (as he calls it) in your mind. There is a quicker way to reach that point, he just doesn't know it.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
Does this mean you have come to a conclusion about the $100 you just spent?
Possibly. I think the $100 system will work, but who the hell has time for that when you can already make make-able shots? If I miss, it's because I couldn't leave an "interesting" shot alone and instead shoot a higher percentage shot or play safe. Missing for me isn't aim related, it's that I asked too much, attempted "trick shots", lost concentration/focus, had bad form, or couldn't figure out a way to recover from a bad table situation. Even on days I feel my "aim" is off, it's not that, it's usually bad stance from back pain and takes more concentration to have good form from a goofy tight muscle position/stance.

If I were starting out from scratch I think the $100 system would be a very good starting point. I started with ghost ball at 12 and outgrew it, perhaps it would take longer to outgrow the $100 system, but eventually if all you're doing is focusing on aiming systems, something is lacking in your pool game. Eventually this stuff should be so rote that you shouldn't have to think much about the mechanics of aiming/throw/gearing etc. It becomes more the feel of the leave at some point unless you've become stunted in your pool growth. Your cue ball ought to be as much of an extension of your body as your pool stick is. At some point I'd hope all players experience the feeling of dead stroke and not thinking about aiming. Many ideas there like "stepping" and slight head turning have their merits, but when I know how to shoot and aim, it's not worth fully rebuilding and reprogramming my brain for diminishing returns. Time spent learning a new system would be much better spent practicing other aspects of the game. Different strokes for different folks, but I feel an aiming system is pretty much there for backup reference once you know how to shoot. I'd guess that if you consider yourself an intermediate or better player, you would get more value from playing $5 sets with better players. Pool is such a complex game that focusing too much on aiming systems could probably hinder your growth. This sounds kind of ignorant, but the last time you were in dead stroke, did you feel every shot, every leave, and already have the "puzzle" solved, or did you spend the majority of the time visualizing aiming systems?

I honestly don't want a lot to do with the $100 system because of the people pushing it (not Stan, but his disciples). IMHO for $100, it's a good system and worth the price. Is it worth it for you? I don't know, it depends how much you want to get your feet wet. I don't regret spending the money on it in any way, but I just want nothing to do with the practitioner's insanity and victim hood complex. So I guess that's my "review" in a nutshell. It has a lot of good stuff, but like any aiming system, you have to put the work in (practice) and know when it's time to switch into play mode and not suffer from over-analysis-paralysis.

I agree with every point he makes in the video, except how he stacks all aiming systems into the same junk pile, with the exception of "quadrant" ghostball aiming. The same type of quadrant practice can be used with traditional fractions or contact points. It's called rote, or HAMB, all based on trial and error and guesstimation. Eventually, with enough practice, your brain figures out where to aim, and that's when you finally start building a visual database of "sight pictures" (as he calls it) in your mind. There is a quicker way to reach that point, he just doesn't know it.
Yeah I agree with this. I've not used Poolology (looks interesting), but I've done lessons with Gene and the Perfect Aim System, you're 100% right, there are quicker ways to build the database and not all systems are "junk". I find good systems sort of like a force multiplier, gets you on track and on target quicker and makes your practice much more valuable. Instead of a million balls, you might only have to hit a hundred thousand :). If you liked this video at all, I'd highly recommend his "Efrin's Elbow" video, it's presented very well. I think he is more of a practical teacher and assumes we are good enough players to evaluate and adapt what he's saying to our own play style. I find his content a breath of fresh air, good advice and some things to think about.

Last edited:

JC

Coos Cues
In political terms, aiming systems are democrats and this video is the republican rebuttal.

Apparently the CTE crew either missed this thread or the cat's got their tongue.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In political terms, aiming systems are democrats and this video is the republican rebuttal.

Apparently the CTE crew either missed this thread or the cat's got their tongue.
Or maybe this is a democrat making a video to push there agenda through. You know the kind they make, like CNN, doesn't matter if it's true or not. Besides it's kinda funny so who really cares.
Should we add you to the list of those that know nothing about CTE but have become obsessed with it anyways. Now there are some funny individuals on that list, believe me.

JC

Coos Cues
Or maybe this is a democrat making a video to push there agenda through. You know the kind they make, like CNN, doesn't matter if it's true or not. Besides it's kinda funny so who really cares.
Should we add you to the list of those that know nothing about CTE but have become obsessed with it anyways. Now there are some funny individuals on that list, believe me.
Sure put me on that list. My pleasure.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sure put me on that list. My pleasure.
Consider yourself on the list. Have fun wasting the next 20 years on AZ bitching about something you know nothing about. That is what people on the list do.