WORLD POOL CHAMPIONSHIP (6-10 June2021) Champion $50K

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Most of the misses that I recall were really long shots from on or near the rail. I don't recall Shane missing any super easy shots, unless anyone chimes in to correct me. After Oliver missed, many times Shane was either hooked, or he had a really long, tough shot. But I will admit, some of those tough shots he normally would have made anyway.
Thanks for that. Obviously, I didn't see much of it. More than anything else, I'm relying on his own review of the match in which he says he played poorly.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most of the misses that I recall were really long shots from on or near the rail. I don't recall Shane missing any super easy shots, unless anyone chimes in to correct me. After Oliver missed, many times Shane was either hooked, or he had a really long, tough shot. But I will admit, some of those tough shots he normally would have made anyway.

He missed some tough shots and some easier shots, like this one that you would expect most pros to make.

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He missed some tough shots and some easier shots, like this one that you would expect most pros to make.

It was not too hard shot but there was interfering ball close to bridge hand. Add some pressure and it is really missable to all guys. Also crossing the line to next position zone need more focus to speed. All these invisible little things add up and can cause misses to all level players.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
The 5 ball that he missed which turned the match around was a routine shot.

CaleAYS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Other than the tables and sometimes unapologetically biased commentary, Matchroom put out another great show. Thier already great production quality is consistently getting even better. Well done to Albin for grinding out the win. Would have loved to see the hard working and class guy Omar take the title but it wasn’t meant to be.
I’m still not a huge fan of the single knockout stages, but it does make a much more exciting 3 days of viewing. Something just seems wrong about two players in the finals having a loss, while giants like Gorst, Kazakis, SVB and others were eliminated with one loss and don’t get the chance for a larger payday and opportunity to claim the title. I think the single elim later rounds is the best format for growing viewership, but does make one wonder what some of those players would have done with the extra bullet.

Last edited:

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
I’m still not a fan of the single knockout stages, but it does make a much more exciting 3 days of viewing. Something just seems wrong about two players in the finals having a loss, while giants like Gorst, Kazakis, SVB and others were eliminated with one loss and don’t get the chance for a larger payday and opportunity to claim the title. I think the single elim later rounds is the best format for growing viewership, but does make one wonder what some of those players would have done with the extra bullet.
I really hadn't thought of that. Good points.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think single elimination is fine as long as the races are long enough.

Races to 11 are good. Although I wouldn't mind seeing 13 in the Semi's and 17 in the finals.

CaleAYS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think single elimination is fine as long as the races are long enough.

Races to 11 are good. Although I wouldn't mind seeing 13 in the Semi's and 17 in the finals.
Same here. I wouldn’t mind the whole tournament being single elimination with long races. But it is what is. Matchrooms doing good things and making it entertaining.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wouldn't be surprised if MR has someone that reads some of the critiques on here. I remember Day 1 a few people complained about commercials between racks not being relevant and not being kept up to date with other scores. Then on Day 2, we started seeing a ticker showing scores of other matches, and we would get more frequent footage of the outer tables.

So with enough people complaining about the larger pockets, I imagine we'll see them go back to the 4" corners for future events.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m still not a huge fan of the single knockout stages, but it does make a much more exciting 3 days of viewing. Something just seems wrong about two players in the finals having a loss, while giants like Gorst, Kazakis, SVB and others were eliminated with one loss and don’t get the chance for a larger payday and opportunity to claim the title. I think the single elim later rounds is the best format for growing viewership, but does make one wonder what some of those players would have done with the extra bullet.

Ironically, APA does that all the time their catchphrase is "every player gets the opportunity to play twice". Not a fan but as someone mentioned, with longer races it's not as bad.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
I wouldn't be surprised if MR has someone that reads some of the critiques on here. I remember Day 1 a few people complained about commercials between racks not being relevant and not being kept up to date with other scores. Then on Day 2, we started seeing a ticker showing scores of other matches, and we would get more frequent footage of the outer tables.

So with enough people complaining about the larger pockets, I imagine we'll see them go back to the 4" corners for future events.
I did actually notice that. Glad it wasn't just in my head...lol

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Other than the tables and sometimes unapologetically biased commentary, Matchroom put out another great show. Thier already great production quality is consistently getting even better. Well done to Albin for grinding out the win. Would have loved to see the hard working and class guy Omar take the title but it wasn’t meant to be.
I strongly disagree here. Compare it to having the qualifying rounds in advance at other locations. For those who qualify through such events, should a distinction be made between those that took a loss along the way? I think that would be silly. Qualifying is qualifying.

The truth is that one can pay a steep price for that first loss in the qualifying tournament at the WPC, because it gives them poor seeding in the main event. Poor seeding may or may not cost them due to luck of the draw. Ask Jayson Shaw, who drew SVB in the first round of the knockout stage. If he had won both his qualifying matches, he could not possibly have drawn anyone who did the same.

This is not double elimination, and thankfully, pool is slowly evolving past the double elimination era in its biggest events. Speaking as a fan, a do or die match offers the greatest possible drama and entertainment. Matchroom understands this, and thankfully, they have no double elimination events, understanding that two stage events are far more exciting. Even the International Open has adopted this format to the betterment of the event. At Matchroom events, Stage 2 is always played as single elimination, and it's electrifying to watch.

Forget about that second bullet. The greatest champions don't need it. In pro pool, double elimination is on the endangered list at the most significant events. It's a step forward for the sport.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The way Albin closed the set on Skylar was so dominant...I couldn't see him losing. He plays some great pool. Has high expectations on every shot.

The production of Matchroom is perfect. Getting the players in the booth to do play by play while letting fans learn their personalities. Great recipe that can keep American pool going.

They should partner with Derby City Classic and produce that for streaming...could be amazing.

CaleAYS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I strongly disagree here. Compare it to having the qualifying rounds in advance at other locations. For those who qualify through such events, should a distinction be made between those that took a loss along the way? I think that would be silly. Qualifying is qualifying.

The truth is that one can pay a steep price for that first loss in the qualifying tournament at the WPC, because it gives them poor seeding in the main event. Poor seeding may or may not cost them due to luck of the draw. Ask Jayson Shaw, who drew SVB in the first round of the knockout stage. If he had won both his qualifying matches, he could not possibly have drawn anyone who did the same.

This is not double elimination, and thankfully, pool is slowly evolving past the double elimination era in its biggest events. Speaking as a fan, a do or die match offers the greatest possible drama and entertainment. Matchroom understands this, and thankfully, they have no double elimination events, understanding that two stage events are far more exciting. Even the International Open has adopted this format to the betterment of the event. At Matchroom events, Stage 2 is always played as single elimination, and it's electrifying to watch.

Forget about that second bullet. The greatest champions don't need it. In pro pool, double elimination is on the endangered list at the most significant events. It's a step forward for the sport.
I’m sure you read my post so you would know I totally agree that single elim is much more exciting and a much better product for audiences. And yes I understand how two stage events work, I was just giving a personal observation when I look at the event in its entirety, pretty easy to do since it’s played continuously, and wondering what could of been if it was double elimination like most tournaments were for most of my life. So very sorry.

TheLoneSilencer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
World championships should be double elimination. Stop with the bullshit of it being better for tv, audiences etc... Players are not thinking about that bullshit when trying to win a world title. I'd be pissed getting knocked out by someone who lost earlier than me & goes on to win a world title with one loss while I was sent packing. Get real & stop being so foolish about single elimination being so great.

Matchroom and their pro Euro bias especially in commentary is a damn joke too. I will never support a thing that company does.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
World championships should be double elimination. Stop with the bullshit of it being better for tv, audiences etc... Players are not thinking about that bullshit when trying to win a world title. I'd be pissed getting knocked out by someone who lost earlier than me & goes on to win a world title with one loss while I was sent packing. Get real & stop being so foolish about single elimination being so great.
What other sports have double elimination?

I will never support a thing that company does.

I'm sure they'll be fine.

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A groups stage followed by single elimination is the best. The group stage gives players time to find their game before they progress (or not) to stage 2. I prefer double elimination to round robin, as it means there are no dead games in the group stage.

For non pro/Tv tournaments, double elimination has its place - it keeps more players involved for longer, and gives the better players a better chance of going deep while at the same time giving the weaker players another shot and more value for their entry fee.