Ideas that haven't saved pool

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Instead of looking for a sponsor it has to get the attention of a cable TV entity. They're the ones "crafting" shows, because they know what gets ratings. Pool should appeal to sports junkies because they can bet on it. If an endless series of house hunter/home improvement/real estate agent shows and The Laundry Guy get produced (https://www.hgtv.com/shows/the-laundry-guy) why not pool? I have no idea how to make that happen, but that's my take on it.
I've been told that somewhere in the past the pool players fixed a tournament and pissed off Vegas, maybe enough time has passed that they'd give the sport another chance.
As long as pool tournaments are funded by players entry fees, nothing will ever change. As far as TV or Cable as you put it goes, the game has to attract advertisers, and that's done with viewer ratings, because the first about of money spent is to the networks doing the broadcasting, and that's a lot of pockets to get filled first before anyone else sees any money. Those shows you mentioned didn't end up on air by luck, all shows go through a screaning process in front of a test audience first, then based on their ratings, they continue on being rated by advertisers. No advertisers, no TV/cable show!

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
I took a small group of young adults to a local pool hall. One had experience the other didnt.

The experienced player went full shark mode from blowing chalk at the table to aggressively talk. The inexperienced player was confused so I gave instructions on what to do. Both players were in early 20s, i tried to form a pool club.

Some people change when they get to the pool room.

I took the experienced player to steinway. there are lots of people in this country that just want to hang out and relax.

Younger players feel more comfortable part of groups. They need to know they arent the only beginner.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
I took a small group of young adults to a local pool hall. One had experience the other didnt.

The experienced player went full shark mode from blowing chalk at the table to aggressively talk. The inexperienced player was confused so I gave instructions on what to do. Both players were in early 20s, i tried to form a pool club.

Some people change when they get to the pool room.

I took the experienced player to steinway. there are lots of people in this country that just want to hang out and relax.

Younger players feel more comfortable part of groups. They need to know they arent the only beginner.

That's really how it's done....one at a time.

Another good call, justnum.

Jeff Livingston

justnum

Silver Member
That's really how it's done....one at a time.

Another good call, justnum.

Jeff Livingston

When I was younger I decided to invest a lot of time into my at home pool table.

Youth of every generation have many ways to invest their time.

The pool world has demands for statisticians, commentators, billiard writers, billiards story tellers, billiard advertisers, photographers, artists, lighting engineers, computer staff, billiard organizers, and sponsors.

Several users on this forum have been given awards for their efforts like Bob Jewett and DrDave.

When school ends most people either have their group of friends or are searching for groups to be part of.

I started with just taking photos at pool events, now I am trying to transition into short videos.

The pool room doesn't have to only be about who can pocket the 9 ball, or whether it was a fluke or not.

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As long as pool tournaments are funded by players entry fees, nothing will ever change. As far as TV or Cable as you put it goes, the game has to attract advertisers, and that's done with viewer ratings, because the first about of money spent is to the networks doing the broadcasting, and that's a lot of pockets to get filled first before anyone else sees any money. Those shows you mentioned didn't end up on air by luck, all shows go through a screaning process in front of a test audience first, then based on their ratings, they continue on being rated by advertisers. No advertisers, no TV/cable show!
If pool is destined to be a fringe sport in the US I’m just glad we have a few guys out there making a living offering live streams of the good matches. My income isn’t determined by the billiard industry so I look at it a little different than you and the other folks who make a living in pool, so I’m not even sure I want pool to go mainstream. As far as I’m concerned pool is just fine where it is.

justnum

Silver Member
If pool is destined to be a fringe sport in the US I’m just glad we have a few guys out there making a living offering live streams of the good matches. My income isn’t determined by the billiard industry so I look at it a little different than you and the other folks who make a living in pool, so I’m not even sure I want pool to go mainstream. As far as I’m concerned pool is just fine where it is.

It is a fringe sport and anyone that plays it can either be the only person in town to play.

Or the person that wants other people to join in on the fun.

Being the person that wants other people to join means getting a lot of rejection.

Imagine all those home bound people, looking for a place to hang out.

How to make the pool room a destination? Thats my next video.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
There is a certain low threshold level where stuff just disappears for good.

We don't want that.

Bring someone to the Cue Expo in Des Moines next week, for example.

Jeff Livingston

eg9327

How about a strict dress code. No hats. No flip flops. No shirts without collars. No baggy shorts. The people that post videos on-line look like thugs or ex-cons the way they dress. Josh Filler and his wife are the exception to the rule but everyone they play in Roy’s Basement look like they are homeless at best. Clean up the image.
I agree. This filthy street look is taking down civility in many places already. When I'm out the last thing I want to see or be confronted by is some swaggering thug. That is one reason a lot of malls closed.

Cuedup

Amazon/internet is why malls are on the decline, not because of the way people dress.

People have more choices and opportunities now.

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Amazon/internet is why malls are on the decline, not because of the way people dress.

People have more choices and opportunities now.
You're probably mostly right. No argument that internet shopping was what killed them, but I quit taking my family to the mall because it became a hang out for the thuggy and disgusting people to loiter, the elderly or extremely bored people to speed walk, or some other BS.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
This subject is like cockroaches, keeps coming back.

People have ideas, but nothing works.

If it did pool rooms, pool bar, and sports bar with pool table would not be closing faster then new one open.

Phoenix AZ is closing more, then opening new.

People can do other thing with extra income besides pool.

jmho.

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree. This filthy street look is taking down civility in many places already. When I'm out the last thing I want to see or be confronted by is some swaggering thug. That is one reason a lot of malls closed.
Malls are the haven for the unwashed, poorly dressed And criminal. What’s dangerous are the parking, garages and the parking lots. There is a lot of crime against persons and property. I represented real estate developers in Houston and often saw the incident reports when defending personal injury claims and assaults. Developers like to keep that information under wrap. It’s dangerous at anytime but more so at night. i advise women to be very cautious when shopping particularly at night and more so in parking garages.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
All pool needs is leadership, the right sponsors, elimination of player funded events, and simultaneously ran PRO only events in multiple locations around the world at least once a month, so that even if a PRO loses the first match in a single elimination event, they're still drawing a minimum pay of $1,000.

justnum

Silver Member
I am trying to develop a mockumentary.

"The sports industry that almost could"
Then I would provide narration through the investors and failed marketing campaigns.
The sport as a multinational, distribution system across the globe, mostly Euro, Asia, and North America
The sport is growing slowly and keeping most of its fans.

The last clip will be about growing pocket clusters in the sport.

The motivation is pool is an established community and no one is marketing products through their system.
The pool hall is a community place ask any pro pool player, they know at least 10 people from every profession and walk of life.

Then I end the video on the best social media personalities to follow, mostly pool players or room owners.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Well I use to joke about if some local Pool organizer took potential sponsor to a local pool room.

The potential sponsor would take one look, and say pass.

Because most of the players look like they are homeless.

Pool player don’t like to dress like other pro athletes.