Judd Trump to play U.S. Open.................

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Why would matchroom bother? Becuase he's got tons of fans in the UK and other parts of the world that follow snooker that will watch just to see how he does against the yanks...

Jaden
Plus, this will add that extra something for the event/sport and hopefully the game itself.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
Any thoughts? Shoots straighter than Dick Tracy. Can he win a match or two?
You'd be a fool to underestimate him. The guy is a natural with a cue. Winning the tournament? I think he'd need a couple of years (which obviously he'd never waste on such a low payoff). Winning matches? Yes, he probably will with the right draw.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Short video of Judd giving Emily the last 4

The break definitely needs some work. Also interesting to see him not having his chin on the cue.

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
You'd be a fool to underestimate him. The guy is a natural with a cue. Winning the tournament? I think he'd need a couple of years (which obviously he'd never waste on such a low payoff). Winning matches? Yes, he probably will with the right draw.
Here's the thing. It might not be a pay off for him directly from the tournament, but the US professional billiards is a completely untapped market. If, and that's a big if, Barry is looking to tap into that market, it's potentially feasible that he would pay someone like Trump to play pool in order to help build it up and market it for the start of a viable professional tour. Which, if ran correctly, could eventually be worth 100's of millions.

Jaden

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Why would matchroom bother? Becuase he's got tons of fans in the UK and other parts of the world that follow snooker that will watch just to see how he does against the yanks...

Jaden
"he" was the key word you may have missed from my post... Matchroom's design is obvious

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
"he" was the key word you may have missed from my post... Matchroom's design is obvious
There are a couple reasons I think. Judd has been pretty vocal about being more creative about promoting snooker and appealing to new and younger audiences. I think he has been given the chance to put his money where his mouth is and take the lead. He was also a guest commentator/talking head during this years World Championship along with Jack Lisowski.

And then just more generally I wouldn’t be surprised if he is getting a free vacation courtesy of matchroom or the WST. That in or itself may be enough of an incentive.

chenjy9

Watch those old Mosconi Cup matches, a very young Ronnie O demolishes Earl Strickland. These snooker guys are dangerous!
Skill is skill. Now please don't take it as that's all that matters because we all know that is not the case. All I am saying is that the man knows how to play and that is something that will always translate across games.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here's my overall prediction on Trump's chances playing in major 9-Ball or Ten Ball tournaments. He will NEVER win one! He may win some matches and occasionally beat a top player, but just like American champs who have tried to learn snooker, he is too far behind the curve to ever be a top pool player. Of all the snooker players, so far Chris Melling has had the greatest success at pool, and Karl Boyes won a World Eight Ball title I believe. Both of them devoted a lot of time to playing pool and became regulars on the pool circuit for several years. I seriously doubt that Trump will ever do that. Why would he? He would be taking a pretty big pay cut.

mista335

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's my overall prediction on Trump's chances playing in major 9-Ball or Ten Ball tournaments. He will NEVER win one! He may win some matches and occasionally beat a top player, but just like American champs who have tried to learn snooker, he is too far behind the curve to ever be a top pool player. Of all the snooker players, so far Chris Melling has had the greatest success at pool, and Karl Boyes won a World Eight Ball title I believe. Both of them devoted a lot of time to playing pool and became regulars on the pool circuit for several years. I seriously doubt that Trump will ever do that. Why would he? He would be taking a pretty big pay cut.
Karl Boyes was never a professional snooker player.

CanadianGuy

Alex P was born and bred into pool

he took up snooker here and dominated and is likely still the best player in both Canada and the USA at Snooker

Canada had the largest snooker talent pool outside of England for decades

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, but finishes out of top 32.
I think he has a good chance to get a round further in, although not a pool player his position and spin use on the snooker table is more similar to 9 ball than most other top snooker players. This should at least put to rest all the flame wars on YouTube on pool videos about how any snooker player will beat any pool player once we see how he does. He may have issues vs a top 20 world pool player but the rest should be at least an even game if he practices on the 9 footer with the 2 1/4 ball sizes up till the event starts. Pool is not just all ball pocketing and position play at the top levels, there are funny off angle banks, advanced safety plays, kicking, etc.. that snooker players don't see in their game and a month of practice won't make up the years of play the pool players see with those shots.

Geosnookery

Watch those old Mosconi Cup matches, a very young Ronnie O demolishes Earl Strickland. These snooker guys are dangerous!
A teen Ronnie defeated Strickland but Strickland made some bad shots. I like Ronnie and can’t stand Strickland’s immaturity but admit Strickland would have beat Ronnie over a longer set. More mature players like Alex Higgins and Jimmy White were just in the Mosconi Cup for fun but still won.

Snooker players at nine ball are like the Yankees playing softball against the best team. Likely lose for a month or so but then completely dominate once they adjust.

Geosnookery

he took up snooker here and dominated and is likely still the best player in both Canada and the USA at Snooker

Scotland was far more represented as was Wales and Ireland. I played in both the UK and Canada…in Montreal which was a Snooker centre.

Today in order:

England
China
Wales
Scotland
Northern Ireland
Thailand

Per capita Wales produces the most pro players.

Last edited:

mark187

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

That's not really true. Most recent Canadian pro I can think of was Alain Robidoux, and he fell off the tour about 20 years ago. Majority of tournaments over the past few decades have been won by players from England, Scotland, Ireland, Northern Ireland, Wales, China and Australia. 365 out of 378 ranking tournaments since 1977 have been won by players from those countries. 3 have been won by Canadians- Cliff Thorburn won the World Championship and Scottish open in the 1980s and Bob Chaperon won the British Open in 1990.

Last edited: