For format of the CSI ten-ball was complete rubbish.

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
I was just talking to my buddy about this. It's a shit format and seems like they're trying to emulate tennis. Well I said that if they want to emulate tennis, then REALLY emulate tennis. 5 races to 6, win by two games.

Jaden

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Likely, everyone else is better informed and more knowledge than me and certainly everyone else is a better pool player but observing the myriad of problems involved with promoting and conducting pool events, it seems the complete inconsistency of rules from event to event is the primary culprit. Professional events are the same as bar table events throughout the country: "We put on the tournaments and we make the rules; period. It seems to me that cannot/will not, change until players and vendors organize and sanction only events who abide by an accepted set of rules. Have no idea how or if this can happen. In the meantime I'll choose the "organized" I want to watch.
And you SHOULD have the right to choose what you want to watch. I just don't happen to believe this is the level of Professionalism for Professional Pool Players playing today, trying to earn a living!!

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
A similar display of affection for this format was made after the first US Pro Billiards event back in July. Mike Page started a thread about the format, and indicated that it seems to discriminate between the better and lesser player to about the same degree that single races to 9 would. But the belief is that the 4's format holds greater "fan engagement" than would single, longer races.

Mike may post about it again, to let us know whether this second event strengthened or weakened that initial thinking. Here's Mike's thread about the first event: https://forums.azbilliards.com/threads/races-to-4-for-the-pros.533735/#post-7023605

realkingcobra

Silver Member
A similar display of affection for this format was made after the first US Pro Billiards event back in July. Mike Page started a thread about the format, and indicated that it seems to discriminate between the better and lesser player to about the same degree that single races to 9 would. But the belief is that the 4's format holds greater "fan engagement" than would single, longer races.

Mike may post about it again, to let us know whether this second event strengthened or weakened that initial thinking. Here's Mike's thread about the first event: https://forums.azbilliards.com/threads/races-to-4-for-the-pros.533735/#post-7023605
The only true test of fan engagement, is if the fans are willing to PAY for this kind of entertainment!

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And nobodies interested in watching a bunch of dead money players playing each other. Players don't have contracts prohibiting them from playing in any money events, sorry!
Matchroom has such a contract. Were you sleeping through the whole discussion?
So Predator is going to tell them NO, you can't play in a PRO event NOT sponsored by Predator???? Last time I checked, the US Open 9B event is NOT sponsored by Predator, yet LOTS of players with Predator ENDORSEMENT contrats are playing in it!!! See, where you're confused is Predator DON'T pay players unless they sign a SALES ENDORSEMENT CONTRACTwith Predator, which still DON'T pay the players for NOT winning events, thats ON THEM!
They would be foolish to do so. They are In billiard sales. They want their exposure wide and far.

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was just talking to my buddy about this. It's a shit format and seems like they're trying to emulate tennis. Well I said that if they want to emulate tennis, then REALLY emulate tennis. 5 races to 6, win by two games.

Jaden
That would take way too long unless you are playing 7 ball with only 1 safety allowed per rack like espn did 20 years ago

Brain71

Railbird
Silver Member
What is the purpose of two races to 4 with a bullshit shoot out of spot shots to determine the winner? The only purpose for this that I can think of it to give the dead money a chance to win since if you go to eight the cream will always rise to the top. I watched the Polish guy play Alex and he damn near blew him off the table and it still went to a shoot out which thankfully, and I like Alex, lost. Are they doing this so that the dead money fills the field because there is no way in hell Grabe and Wu are better than Chang, Shaw, SVB, Filler etc.
Agreed. Crappy format. A race to 7 would not have taken longer. Thank you to CSI and Predator for putting on the event, nothing against them but I wish more money was there. Congratulations to the winner. Good luck to all next week.

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
That would take way too long unless you are playing 7 ball with only 1 safety allowed per rack like espn did 20 years ago
Ok then 3 races to 6, win by 2 games. Or even 3 races to 4 or 5. But eliminate this single shot sudden death crap.

3 races to 5, win by 2 games, winner break first two sets, alternate break the last set if there is one. That would have engagement, should favor the better player and doesn't rely on a stupid spot shot to determine the winner. Lag for first set, other player breaks first second set...Man, I'm starting to like this format I'm coming up with. Lag again for tie breaker set.

Jaden

Me and this dude did spot shots on a snooker table and neither of us missed for 30+(15 each) shots and finally gave up.

Last edited:

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Matchroom has such a contract. Were you sleeping through the whole discussion?

They would be foolish to do so. They are In billiard sales. They want their exposure wide and far.
I guess you were sleeping through the Matchroom update, there's NO conflict with players playing in ANY other events NOT promoted by Matchroom, El
Emily Frazier clearly explained that!! So you're wrong!

JessEm

AzB Goldmember
Silver Member
I say, the more tournaments the better.
The more formats/variations, the better.
The more people that pool appeals to, the better.
Something for everyone.

Nobody has to like EVERY format. Personally, I think arbitrary races to twenty-five hundred that take 4 days are like watching paint dry, AND I LIKE pool. The attention spans of casual viewers ain't having it.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Ok then 3 races to 6, win by 2 games. Or even 3 races to 4 or 5. But eliminate this single shot sudden death crap.

3 races to 5, win by 2 games, winner break first two sets, alternate break the last set if there is one. That would have engagement, should favor the better player and doesn't rely on a stupid spot shot to determine the winner. Lag for first set, other player breaks first second set...Man, I'm starting to like this format I'm coming up with.

Jaden

Me and this dude did spot shots on a snooker table and neither of us missed for 30+(15 each) shots and finally gave up.
Why not just a single elimination race to 21, 3 hour match time limit! Who ever is in the lead at the end of 3 hours wins, or get to 21 first!!

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
Why not just a single elimination race to 21, 3 hour match time limit! Who ever is in the lead at the end of 3 hours wins, or get to 21 first!!
That works for die hard fans, but I can see the appeal of not knowing (or strongly suspecting) who was gonna win after 45 minutes of play.

Seeing a nailbiter where they trade racks in the final set a few times could be exciting to anyone or watching someone dominate the first set, see the other player dominate the second set and then trade racks past the 5 games in the last set before a crucial error determines the ultimate winner.

Jaden

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I say, the more tournaments the better.
The more formats/variations, the better.
The more people that pool appeals to, the better.
Something for everyone.

Nobody has to like EVERY format. Personally, I think arbitrary races to twenty-five hundred that take 4 days are like watching paint dry, AND I LIKE pool. The attention spans of casual viewers ain't having it.
When have you EVER watched a race to 2500???

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess you were sleeping through the Matchroom update, there's NO conflict with players playing in ANY other events NOT promoted by Matchroom, El
Emily Frazier clearly explained that!! So you're wrong!
Then what was the whole point of the contract? Just to start a shit storm?

MJB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
People have been bitching about there not being an organized pro tour, and now that there's at least an organized pro series, people want to bitch about the format.

But then again, pool players are always going to bitch about something...race length, winner break, alternate break, template rack, triangle rack, 1 on spot, 9 on spot, jump cues, no jump cues, pocket size, table type, payouts, pay per view, free stream..... Did I leave anything out?

And y'all wonder why US Pro pool stinks.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
People have been bitching about there not being an organized pro tour, and now that there's at least an organized pro series, people want to bitch about the format.

But then again, pool players are always going to bitch about something...race length, winner break, alternate break, template rack, triangle rack, 1 on spot, 9 on spot, jump cues, no jump cues, pocket size, table type, payouts, pay per view, free stream..... Did I leave anything out?

And y'all wonder why US Pro pool stinks.

There will NEVER be a consensus among pool players about anything. That's why there is a variety. Something for everyone. Live and let live