Best player ever for the cash?

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
I’ve heard very few would play Louis Roberts for the $ when he was at his best.

GREAT 2 shot foul 9B player, however, he couldn't get there against Kieth, Buddy or Carella (sp?). imo he was the best shot maker,esp thin cut shots from hell, of his era

Kieth had a higher gear
Buddy banked better and had whitey on a string
Carella displayed a stronger overall game during his brief career, might have been a contender for goat

Thecoats

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I never read that book, didn’t know there was one. I’d read it for sure. What’s it called? Thx Bruce
I read this book and enjoyed it a lot.

HustlerDays.jpg

gypsy_soul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sure I'll play you. I don't typically gamble though. What does me clarifying his statement for you have to do with me liking gambling AND pressure?

Jaden
Nothing at all but see , I was right about you , you do like pressure and gambling! It’s a good thing Jaden 💯
1633464552635.png

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Getting off track here.
Just pick one horse for your $100,000
You don't know what the game is or the table.
Who holds up the best? That's the real question.
Who has the best nerves for your cash?

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Of current people Alex is arguably the strongest. I’ve played him 50-60-70+ hours of high stakes backgammon and he’s a monster. I’ve had big leads on him more than once, he handles pressure good as anyone I ever gambled with. I couldn’t imagine playing pool with him-his Backgammon is strong but it’s not his best game.

Pool being his best game-God only knows how strong he is. I felt it playing backgammon plenty of times. Looking forward to the next time we play. He’s a gentleman to play as well. Class top to bottom. We never have a argument or disagreement he’s a great guy and has all my respect.

Best
Fatboy
So you think he holds his speed as good as anyone ever?
Tough question I know.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
GREAT 2 shot foul 9B player, however, he couldn't get there against Kieth, Buddy or Carella (sp?). imo he was the best shot maker,esp thin cut shots from hell, of his era

Kieth had a higher gear
Buddy banked better and had whitey on a string
Carella displayed a stronger overall game during his brief career, might have been a contender for goat
The question is not who is the best but who holds up better under pressure.
The goat is another thread.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So you think he holds his speed as good as anyone ever?
Tough question I know.
I seen him get weak once playing SVB in cue club about 10 years ago. SVB won 40-20.

my own personal experience with him playing BG is no matter how much I’m up, he’s capable of coming back. He doesn’t go away. I’ve played many stronger players in BG, had good dice for myself and watched strong players collapse. I’ve never seen Alex get weak playing BG ever. Not once, frustrated yes. Did it effect his play? For a minute or 2 and he resets and is just fine. He handles the variance in BG good as anyone I’ve ever played, including many many world class players. He’s tough action. I’d rate him the “strongest” gambler I’ve played BG with.

We have played high as $500/point which is like $10K-$15K pool. It’s kinda hard to compare them directly. 30 point swings happen, I’ve had them with Alex. From +26 to -10 I think being the biggest so that’s a $18,000 swing in a few hours. That was at the Derby one year. We aren’t playing social $. I think $300 is the cheapest we played a point.

I’m going to play him again soon, he’s fun to play. Great action. Cool guy win or lose.

best
Fatboy

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
The question is not who is the best but who holds up better under pressure.
The goat is another thread.

Buddy would be my pick of who holds up best under heat because of his cue ball control in conjunction with the positional patterns he played leads to LESS heat to fade

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Lets try this and have some fun.
There is a mystery player coming to town.
You have to put up $100,000 of your own money to back your horse.
You don't know what game is to be played.
You can pick any player from any era with no more information,no questions just pick.

My pick would be Wimpy.
Harold challenged Wimpy in the back room at Johnston City....Wimpy declined.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
My interpretation of this post is that it does not ask for who matched up best, for the art of game making is an entirely different question. I also feel it does not ask who made the most money gambling at pool, for that is also another question. I believe the question posed is who was best at playing at the highest possible level and maintaining that level in a big action match.

Strong vote for Jose Parica here, who handled the pressure of big action better than any player I've ever watched. Nobody could stay with Parica in ten ahead or twenty ahead races. He was just too tough and was able to sustain his highest level for hours and hours when he was at his best, which means the 1990's.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I have some that may not be considered by anyone else.
These are players that bet their own money...which is my criteria for who can play under heat.
Gary Nolan, the Bushwhacker...he had what in martial arts is know as the spirit of a rock.
Richie Florence....addicted to the pressure...if you dogged it, he got sulky.
Freddie Salem....he might be my ideal player....never saw him lose his calmness....
...I had a lot of faith in him...I was going to play a partner game I never played before with the condition that Freddy could coach me....$5,000 a corner...against two champions....that’s how much faith I had in Freddy.
...I was committing nine barrels. The other guys liked the game till they heard the price.