Ohio Open, US PRO SERIES

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
SVB can afford to pick-n-choose his spots. He is a RARE case. Most 'pros', those that derive the lion's share of their $$ from pool, are so fkng broke they will go anywhere and play any format. I hope the ProSeries prospers but i'll never stop saying the format is a joke. MIGHT be ok for a local/regional deal but not if you're touting it as world-class pool. Just my $.02 on this.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And, like others have said, Shane is in a category by himself. After all, when they put him up against this guy, he has to be good.
20210913_234814.jpg

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shane may be the exception and not the rule but at the end of the day, it is the format holding him (and others) back from playing. I'm pretty sure Shane would still like to cash in but all things considered, he feels it's not worth the time and financial investment to participate. I'm sure if given a choice the players that do play in the events would prefer a Race to 9. I appreciate what Predator and CSI are trying to do and certainly appreciate the free stream. It is formatted in a way (on purpose, I'm sure) so it could translate to television. Again, bravo! Perhaps this is the thinking behind the format as well but we had the Camel Pro Tour televised on ESPN and those events were longer races. They really had a good thing going until the players got in the way. Hopefully they grow it to a point where it garners huge sponsorship dollars that will force those not playing to participate. If not, they may have to change to a more popular format to increase participation.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The current event is the 4th in the series. Shane played in the second one (finishing 3rd/4th) but not in the first, third, or fourth.

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Great! Do you which Facebook page that was?

One of Corey's posts (attached). He complains about many things. I'm glad Predator posts the matches for free at least.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211014-110114_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20211014-110114_Facebook.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 108

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I posted this on a different thread but I'll post it again here...

Mark Wilson said in one of his videos pool is not run on money... It is run on passion. We all agree and disagree on many things. But the one thing we all have in common is a passion for the game. Even if I disagree with you, I would love to play a game of pool with each and every one of you.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Agree with those that say this format doesn't mean we should expect lots of upsets between players of very different skill levels. I also agree in principle that the cream will rise to the top in any format over time in pro pool, for history has proven this time and time again.

It is in matchups of similarly skilled players that I don't like this format. Ten ball is a test of skills in breaking, offensive shot selection, offensive shot execution, defensive shot selection, defensive shot execution, and general tactical play. Why should a match be decided by a test in just one of these six foundational skills (offensive execution)? Two players may have exactly equal skills on balance, but the better ball pocketer becomes the favorite in this format, in which equally matched players will reach a tiebreaker about half the time. That's not as it should be. A race to two tiebreaker (lag for break, alternate break) in ten ball would continue to test all the skills of the players while offering a similarly dramatic finish.

It seems simple enough. A ten ball tourney should be decided by playing ten ball. Spot shot contests are great at carnivals, but not so much at pro events.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
That could end up being real drama if you had two players alternating BNR for a while during the tie breaker. Once you got to four a piece butts would be sliding toward chair edges.

Maybe if no one gets up by 2 after a certain amount of OT games you could do a spot shot deal but that’s more of old school television thinking. These days there’s no reason to have to cut off something exciting like that.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Agree with those that say this format doesn't mean we should expect lots of upsets between players of very different skill levels. I also agree in principle that the cream will rise to the top in any format over time in pro pool, for history has proven this time and time again.

It is in matchups of similarly skilled players that I don't like this format. Ten ball is a test of skills in breaking, offensive shot selection, offensive shot execution, defensive shot selection, defensive shot execution, and general tactical play. Why should a match be decided by a test in just one of these six foundational skills (offensive execution)? Two players may have exactly equal skills on balance, but the better ball pocketer becomes the favorite in this format, in which equally matched players will reach a tiebreaker about half the time. That's not as it should be. A race to two tiebreaker (lag for break, alternate break) in ten ball would continue to test all the skills of the players while offering a similarly dramatic finish.

It seems simple enough. A ten ball tourney should be decided by playing ten ball. Spot shot contests are great at carnivals, but not so much at pro events.
I think there's room for both this format, and the one you described. Why not? Mix it up a little bit. Something a little different.

Let the people who are putting up the money decide. And we can also have a format with what you described. Somebody just needs to put up the money and they will come.

Unless you (anyone) are willing to put up the time, the effort, the money, and put up with the criticism of what you've done, let the people who are actually putting it together decide that. If no one shows up, they'll change it. But I don't see that being a problem for the time being.

Let's ask ourselves the question of why professional pool took a nosedive to begin with. It's because of the lack of money. And the lack of money is because advertisers stop sponsoring. Advertisers stop sponsoring because no one was interested. And no one was interested because of boredom.

Now we're not talking about the hardcore pool players like on azbilliards. We're talking about Regular Joe Schmo sitting in front of his TV drinking a beer. He's not watching anymore. So Budweiser stopped advertising. Is trying something new, at the very least, worth the effort?

Wouldn't it be great if we could make pool so interesting the even Tampax tampons would want to sponsor it? Boy, I dont know if I would anyone to give me a "spot" In that one!

Last edited:

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
Some of you guys crack me up! Why, some of you guys are talking like you are Shane Van Boning's agent. When, in fact you are only spouting your own opinion.

Let's do it this way... post the link to the Facebook page of the pro that has said anything bad about this format. Then we will have it from the horse's mouth, not a bunch of pool cue hacks.( before anybody gets all pissy, I include myself in that "hack" group). If you find enough Pros to count up to fingers on one hand, (that would be five unless you were in a sawmill accident), I would be very surprised. And even then the opinions of only five Pros isn't going to change a damn thing.

When some of you are saying this format"has no place in pool", what you are saying is there is no place in pool for growth or change. Only death.

So there's the challenge for you... I want to hear it directly from the pro... Not somebody telling me what a pro said. Because guess what, there's at least a 50% chance you're full of shit. Why do I say that? Because everything you read on an internet forum should be considered 50% bullshit.
LOL. Talk to some privately, they aren't going to come out and say it publicly, unless they're Doucheaine and you saw what happened with him... Burning bridges and all...

Jaden

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hate to have to point this out, but the screenshot that was posted was from 10 weeks ago. BEFORE he played the event in Vegas.
My mistake. His opinion was formed after the first event had been held in AZ July 28-31. To Shane's credit, he gave it a shot and apparently realized it wasn't for him.

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
Nothing on Pro Billiards Facebook page, or on the CSI Facebook page.
You do realize that if it was in one of those posts that CSI or the owner of the page CAN delete it and it would be in their best interest to do so.

Jaden

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
Shane may be the exception and not the rule but at the end of the day, it is the format holding him (and others) back from playing. I'm pretty sure Shane would still like to cash in but all things considered, he feels it's not worth the time and financial investment to participate. I'm sure if given a choice the players that do play in the events would prefer a Race to 9. I appreciate what Predator and CSI are trying to do and certainly appreciate the free stream. It is formatted in a way (on purpose, I'm sure) so it could translate to television. Again, bravo! Perhaps this is the thinking behind the format as well but we had the Camel Pro Tour televised on ESPN and those events were longer races. They really had a good thing going until the players got in the way. Hopefully they grow it to a point where it garners huge sponsorship dollars that will force those not playing to participate. If not, they may have to change to a more popular format to increase participation.
It's the start of a good idea, with a few tweaks it could be awesome.

So think of this format. 3 races to 5. First set lag for break, second set other player breaks first, winner break first two sets. If third set needs to be played, lag again, alternate break, win by 2 games.

I think that THAT could be the ultimate format.

Match doesn't have to be long, gives both players opportunities at the table, first two sets allows for each player to run out the set.

Imagine a match where both players bnr their starting set, then they trade racks till someone finally breaks dry... Perfect play the whole way through.

Jaden

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's the start of a good idea, with a few tweaks it could be awesome.

So think of this format. 3 races to 5. First set lag for break, second set other player breaks first, winner break first two sets. If third set needs to be played, lag again, alternate break, win by 2 games.

I think that THAT could be the ultimate format.

Match doesn't have to be long, gives both players opportunities at the table, first two sets allows for each player to run out the set.

Imagine a match where both players bnr their starting set, then they trade racks till someone finally breaks dry... Perfect play the whole way through.

Jaden
That could work but I still prefer a winner break long race. It seemed to work pretty good at the US Open.