What's The Shot? 14.1

8cree

Reverse Engineer
Silver Member
Green as they come with straight pool. Knocking some balls around, ended up here.
What would you do? Rather what should I do?
Did someone give me a bad rack? Lol

809b68f95212099dd2f3c9a902f67185.jpg
3a861055370769684bd39260b189ece8.jpg

Last edited:

8cree

Reverse Engineer
Silver Member
Shot the 9 hard to come off the rail to the stack, knicked off the 5 and scratched haha. Running it back now, got a little time to kill.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First sequential thing I see is take the 2 and get on the 15. From there, come back for the 9 in the side. You want enough angle above the 9 so you can go off the side rail into the stack; medium or less speed - hitting anywhere except square on the 11. Breaking the stack from this side sends balls into the empty space on the far side - more shots. Oh, and if you it it just right, the cueball should stay in line for the 10.

14.1 is about ideals.

8cree

Reverse Engineer
Silver Member
First sequential thing I see is take the 2 and get on the 15. From there, come back for the 9 in the side. You want enough angle above the 9 so you can go off the side rail into the stack; medium or less speed - hitting anywhere except square on the 11. Breaking the stack from this side sends balls into the empty space on the far side - more shots. 14.1 is about ideals.
Thanks, I can see that now. I got in a hurry I guess and went for the break out.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Green as they come with straight pool. Knocking some balls around, ended up here.
What would you do? Rather what should I do?
Did someone give me a bad rack? Lol

809b68f95212099dd2f3c9a902f67185.jpg
3a861055370769684bd39260b189ece8.jpg
Looks to me like the angle you have on the 9-ball in the corner right now may be your best chance to break out the cluster of 5 balls in the rack area. High center ball, but don’t hit it too hard or you would likely miss the pack on the right side and possibly even scratch in the right corner. Of course, even if you do get into the pack, there’s no guarantee exactly what you’ll have after this break shot, but this might be your best opportunity, unless you see a dead ball in the pack.

The other option I see is the 2-ball in the corner setting up an angle to play the 9-ball in the side bringing the cue ball off the side rail into the left side of the pack. The good thing about that shot is you likely will have the 10-ball as a safety ball if the cue ball sticks too much to the pack. The bad thing is the angle you’ll have on the 9 in the side is not that easy shot particularly when hit at a harder pace.

Last edited:

TheBasics

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Howdy All;

Shoot 2 to Right hand corner, stun CB over for 1 to same corner.
Now you can shoot 15 to corner at head of table. From
there you can shoot the 10 into the left corner and rebound
off the Foot rail to break open the pack. I'd save the 9 for now
as a possible Key Ball.

hank

8cree

Reverse Engineer
Silver Member
Looks to me like the angle you have on the 9-ball in the corner right now may be your best chance to break out the cluster of 5 balls in the rack area. High center ball, but don’t hit it too hard or you would likely miss the pack on the right side and possibly even scratch in the right corner. Of course, even if you do get into the pack, there’s no guarantee exactly what you’ll have after this break no shot, but this might be your best opportunity, unless you see a dead ball in the pack.

The other option I see is the 2-ball in the corner setting up an angle to play the 9-ball in the side bringing the cue ball off the side rail into the left side of the pack. The good thing about that shot is you likely will have the 10-ball as a safety ball if the cue ball sticks too much to the pack. The bad thing is the angle you’ll have on the 9 in the side is not thaat easy shot particularly when hit at a harder pace.
Yessir, that's what I went for. Put a little too much on it. Getting a good break out shot is harder than you think too... working on it though

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Wasn't in love with that shot, saw it but don't know if I could have got it to the 13 from that angle
The key is you just can’t hit it hard, which is the natural tendency to want to do for a breakout shot.
Yes, and it's hard to tell from the camera angle whether soft even works (it's close). You considered it - that's the important thing.

Confirming that it will work is a job for Dr. Dave's Rolling Carom Angle system:

pj
chgo

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yes, and it's hard to tell from the camera angle whether soft even works (it's close). You considered it - that's the important thing.

Confirming that it will work is a job for Dr. Dave's Rolling Carom Angle system:

pj
chgo
Knowing where a rolling ball is going to go on a fullish shot is pretty much in the top five things you have to know for playing position. On the shot shown you need to know whether you can hit the 13 from the 9. If you don't, there's a real good thing to practice.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think shooting that 9 and trying to hit 8 is my first choice.

Second choice is shoot the 9 to play position on the 1 in the side but come off 2 rails , out of the corner , into the stack. May land right off the 9 to play the 10 and 1 rail into the stack also.

I may consider drilling that 2 in with high left and swinging at stack to begin with.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Knowing where a rolling ball is going to go on a fullish shot is pretty much in the top five things you have to know for playing position. On the shot shown you need to know whether you can hit the 13 from the 9.
Especially with that other corner pocket looming in the background...

pj
chgo

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
The other option I see is the 2-ball in the corner setting up an angle to play the 9-ball in the side bringing the cue ball off the side rail into the left side of the pack. The good thing about that shot is you likely will have the 10-ball as a safety ball if the cue ball sticks too much to the pack. The bad thing is the angle you’ll have on the 9 in the side is not that easy shot particularly when hit at a harder pace.
This is the approach I like and for exactly the reasons you indicate.