J. Shaw's wife...................

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
We lost much more than that.

Better get used to substandard care, part of building back you know.
Our health care system has been forever altered/co-opted, some might say damaged, by the manipulations of Big Pharma and the Health Insurance industry. Just as big money controls our government/congress so does the above two control our health care industry. Now, back to Pool. Who do you like to win the MC? With or without Jayson?

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wives and girlfriends are distractions.

When you are playing pool for money, you don’t need distractions.

Gail has accompanied me to numerous pool tournaments -- 9ball, 8ball, 14.1, and even 1pocket -- she knows how to act.

Now, playing for dough, I'd probably agree with you and leave her home.

Lou Figueroa
sorry, Baby :-o

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
I just don't understand why everyone thinks they need to know the facts. None of it is anyone's business but Jason and his wife's. If they choose to share any or all of it is their business and their business only.
That would have been true until they started making accusations that can affect someone's reputation or business. The fact that they probably shouldn't have been making those kinds of accusations without any real evidence to begin with aside, once they did they now have a moral obligation to release any information they become aware of that points away from that if/as they discover it so as to prevent somebody's reputation or business from unjustly being harmed.

Last edited:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is why you don’t bring wives, or girlfriends, with you when you go play pool for money.
Though I totally get where you're coming from, with a stereotype of pool player girlfriend and/or pool player wife of action pool players, there is another school of thought worthy of consideration. If the wife or girlfriend is a part of the backers committee or is, in fact, the stakehorse themselves, they have every right to be present during the action match. Not all pool player girlfriends and wives are green to action etiquette on the rail, though I do know some may sweat the match harder than others, which could be a distraction. There are some, however, that do have good sweating etiquette when present on-site at an action match.

Of course, I know I am in the minority with this opinion. :p

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Though I totally get where you're coming from, with a stereotype of pool player girlfriend and/or pool player wife of action pool players, there is another school of thought worthy of consideration. If the wife or girlfriend is a part of the backers committee or is, in fact, the stakehorse themselves, they have every right to be present during the action match. Not all pool player girlfriends and wives are green to action etiquette on the rail, though I do know some may sweat the match harder than others, which could be a distraction. There are some, however, that do have good sweating etiquette when present on-site at an action match.

Some significant others are savy and make a good corner person. Being help rather than distraction.

• Love
Reactions: JAM

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Most pool players don’t have to sleep with their backers (except for the broke ones, maybe).

There is a difference.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most pool players don’t have to sleep with their backers (except for the broke ones, maybe).

There is a difference.
Speaking for myself, if I'm betting my dough, I'm going to be on-site and on that proverbial rail sweating it, whether I'm sleeping with the player, married to the player, or just a member of the backers committee. 🙃

But I don't ever bet large sums of money, such as is the discussion of this thread. I can't afford to lose that much, so I only bet what I can afford to lose, which ain't much. :giggle:

There's been a wee bit of prejudice in pool towards women in times gone by. I'd like to think that's changed with the advent of pro players like Kelly Fisher, Allison Fisher, and our new up-and-comer, April Larson. You don't see too many female backers or stakehorses. In fact, I can't think of any at the time of this writing. Could be that females know the value of a dollar and don't want to engage in games of high stakes. ;)

I do recall a time in the '80s at the Golden Cue in Bladensburg, Maryland, when Jack Cooney's girlfriend was shot. I don't know all the particulars, but he was gambling, and I'm thinking somebody wanted to rob them of their stew. I had a gun pulled on me in Valencia, Georgia, during an action match with Geese when we were on the road in the '80s. I didn't handle it well, ran behind the bar, and started crying. The bartender was very nice and told us not to worry about it. He walked Geese and me out to our car so we could leave without incident. If I was that girl today, I'd agree with the school of thought that girlfriends and wives should not be on-site and sweating the match. 🤪

Most of our lady players today are tournament soldiers, more so than action players. I think the days of action and challenge matches might not be quite as mainstream in the future as it is today. With Matchroom providing more opportunities for a player to earn a decent living, this would be a good thing for the industry, the sport, and the game. :cool:

In sum, the main reason for challenge matches and action games today is a way for the live streamers and room owners to earn money, bring entertainment to the pool enthusiasts (railbirds and virtual attendees), and put a little dough in the pockets of the competitors. But I think the popularity of these types of pool exhibitions will decrease if Matchroom can effect a change for the better to make pool a legitimate sport. 🤩

Last edited:

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is why you don’t bring wives, or girlfriends, with you when you go play pool for money.

first time i took mine to the pool hall, they were shooting up heroin in the ladies room. second time, the guy i played threatened me with a knife and took a runner for the table rent. pure coincidences as i haven't seen much like that since, but needless to say it's not hard to keep her away from pool rooms. she enjoys the mosconi cup though.

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

There is a difference.
H.E. said: "Most pool players don’t have to sleep with their backers (except for the broke ones, maybe)."

Upon reading that accurate comment I had the amusing thought that it concisely describes the situation facing all Hollywood wannabes -- of both genders -- arriving there daily by the busloads, for more than 100 years.

Arnaldo

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member

One good, quick example (of many) is Barbara Reid, Jack Cooney’s road partner for decades.

Will Prout