Jeremy Jones taking over for Earl on team

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jason Shaw posted on FB that 9 of the 10 players were vacinated. Earl sadly put himself at risk of this happening. If your going to travel and play international events you should be innoculated so this doesn't happen. Nothing is for sure but Earl made the decision not to get the shots
Not sure I'd believe everything he posts.

Likely to be taken down in next few days!

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
I will say again:
Dammit….
This genuinely sucks for Earl.
In an odd way, I was looking to Earl like Fast Eddie in The Color of Money,
and this was his unbelievable chance to “Be Back”!
Could’ve been the story of the century, causing a positive shift in pool tectonic plates.
I will be pulling for the American team. Daily.

Will Prout

Last edited:

Idiot Savant

I'm disappointed Earl won't get to play. I've never seen him play in person but he seems like a real, genuine person, with emotions and all that that entails. I've never watched a Mosconi Cup before but I was looking forward to this one mostly because of Earl. I like players who show real genuine emotions.

I know everyone in this thread knows more about it than me, but I was looking forward to seeing Earl play. A real bummer, but go USA!

Reactions: bbb

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
  • Not sure why they did not get over there much earlier to make sure there was buffer in case this happened. Added benefit, acclimate to the time zone, bond further with the team, and do nothing but play massive amounts of pool\practice.

i would guess this is on MR. they pay the expenses and a longer hotel stay would make them bleed even more $$. i personally doubt the pool is profitable for MR yet. it will be, but i don't think it is now. especially with the limited ticket sales they've had due to the pandemic.

prize money is the indicator for the profitability of the promoters. in their first venture into pool, before the stock market crash, the WC first prize was 100k iirc.. were not there yet, obviously

punter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pretty stupid of Earl not to get vaccinated. That would have made this all a lot easier for him and the team.
I think it is pretty stupid to make a statement like that when you have no knowledge of Earl's medical history. It is a PERSONAL decision based on many factors. It has been widely reported that if you have had Covid and recovered then you have the antibodies and they are much better at protecting you from Covid than any of the vaccines. But you have disliked Earl for many years and miss no opportunity to put him down.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You know what's interesting about this thread that blossomed into 8,000 hits in less than a 24-hour period? Americans here arguing about whether to get vaccinated to not. Americans now criticizing Matchroom and Emily Frazer, professionally speaking, that they suck for not letting Earl play, and by golly, let's all boycott Matchroom and not watch the Mosconi Cup. The new tables and gray cloth suck a big weeny, and the pockets aren't tight enough. No, wait. The pockets are too tight.

Meanwhile, on the other side of the pond, you do not hear this negative vitriolic chatter coming from the Europeans or anywhere else in the world for that matter about Matchroom, Emily Frazer, and the Mosconi Cup? Nope. They're grateful to have professional pool showcased the way Matchroom does it.

Matchroom is the best thing to happen to American pool in a long time. They are planning on hosting more events for pro players and have even added the UK Open Championship next year, a simulation of the US Open Championship. For the first time in a very long time, professional pool has been given a chance to grow. And what to Americans do? Bite the hand that's trying to effect a change for the better—no, not bite the hand. Stomp it, rip it apart, and do everything we can to destroy the Matchroom mission.

If I was Matchroom, I'd concentrate on a market where professional pool has a chance to grow and flourish. Unfortunately—and it hurts me to say this—the United States market is not conducive to professional pool anymore, and Matchroom should eliminate United States events from here on in. They should treat professional pool like they do snooker and ban Americans from even watching it. If American pool wasn't circling the drain before this Mosconi Cup, it's now making it way to a permanent self-destruction. USA, all the way down the crapper!

Enjoy the leagues and regional tours in USA because that's all there is hope for in the future. Professional pool is dead in the water.

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the vaccine works the unvaccinated are not putting the vaccinated at risk.

It's impossible.

Is there no logic trees left in the world with branches on them?

You know what the difference between conspiracy theories and reality? About 4-6 weeks since this stuff began, on average.

that's not the point..there's no vaccine that's 100% effective
vaccines are meant to lower individual and collective health risks
and they do. hooray for logic- ?

edit (more logic): the more people that take vaccines, the more effective vaccines are...

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
Just saw this post.
FB_IMG_1638870082207.jpg

Reactions: JAM

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wish Americans would stop shooting themselves in the foot. Here's the latest from Earl. I understand he is bummed out. I get that totally. In fact, my other half, Keith, is definitely on Earl's side about this whole issue, though my other half has had both his vaccines and will get his booster this month.

My question is why is Earl the only Mosconi Cup player who did not get vaccinated? Should Matchroom have ensured all players were vaccinated? Is it their responsibility or Earl's? I don't know how he boarded an airplane for international flight without a vaccination card. It's baffling. If he chooses not to be vaccinated, of course, that's his right, but if he travels internationally, will be on a plane with someone who tested positive, then he has to pay the consequences. It sucks for everyone involved. I'm still pulling for Team USA.

33.JPG

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is pool. Why would any thought to anything beyond the short term be considered?

Playing Monday Morning QB, Matchroom (Emily) should have made the players arrive early to meet the UK requisite 10 day isolation mandate or required the players be vaccinated to participate. I'm actually quite surprised more proactive measures weren't taken given the stringent rules in the UK.

Oze147

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wonder if this whole story has any other consequences for Earl, besides not playing and not getting prize money.

Many years ago there were still some Proam snooker tournaments and some friends and I entered just for fun and the experience.
And I tell you, the players contract we had to sign for entering a World Snooker event, was...let's say without any wiggle room.
I can imagine that Matchroom handles things with the same strictness and if they do so, Earl having to quarantine is the smallest inconvenience he will have to face.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The action begins at 1 p.m. Eastern today. I wonder who's coming out of the gate first. I'd love to see Jeremy Jones lead the way, but it will probably be Shane.

imageedit_19_7948166699.gif

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wish Americans would stop shooting themselves in the foot. Here's the latest from Earl. I understand he is bummed out. I get that totally. In fact, my other half, Keith, is definitely on Earl's side about this whole issue, though my other half has had both his vaccines and will get his booster this month.

My question is why is Earl the only Mosconi Cup player who did not get vaccinated? Should Matchroom have ensured all players were vaccinated? Is it their responsibility or Earl's? I don't know how he boarded an airplane for international flight without a vaccination card. It's baffling. If he chooses not to be vaccinated, of course, that's his right, but if he travels internationally, will be on a plane with someone who tested positive, then he has to pay the consequences. It sucks for everyone involved. I'm still pulling for Team USA.

View attachment 618967
Earl doesn't know what happened to the other folks on the plane with him and he has no right to know either.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On
He's saying he was singled out as a result of his nationality because he does not know what consequences the other passengers saw as a result of the flight and potential contact.
Ignorance is bliss, I guess. Who travels internationally during a global pandemic and not know what's happening around the world?