Public figures and professional pool

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Does he play? I used to go to the bca open in Chicago and saw Fred Astaire there as well as actor Forest Tucker. I think Astaire did play. Oddly enough he was friends with DiLiberto as was James Caan.
He is only there as a spectator. If memory serves, he is a close friend of Shannon Daulton.

JC

Coos Cues
Joe plays good, he has taken the time to work on his game over the last 20 years.

Simple thing is when your stacking up $ and are very busy, pool is very very time consuming to play at a high standard. There are a few guys-count them in one hand who can “play” with out playing much, but even then they had to pay their dues and that takes years.

The ROI on pool just is not there to give up 30-50% of the time you are awake to play good when your busy. It’s that demanding. Like chess, or anything you want to be exceptionally good at. If there was enough money to make up for the lost time, then pool would be like golf-it’s not and not likely to happen (I’m not sure but maybe that’s been a topic here on AZB)

The misspent youth statement is accurate.

And even if there was a public figure who could play, where is the platform to see that person play. Pool has no infrastructure to deliver any wide spread presentation showcasing a public figures playing.

A intermission at the Mcup to watch Putin play Biden between matches? Unlikely.

I’m glad no public figures play pool, let them go do their thing. I’d rather be away from all that nonsense and immerse myself in pool with pool players

Best
Fatboy
I would pay several hundred PPV to see Putin in the octagon with Hunter Biden.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Does he play? I used to go to the bca open in Chicago and saw Fred Astaire there as well as actor Forest Tucker. I think Astaire did play. Oddly enough he was friends with DiLiberto as was James Caan.
Fred Astaire was an excellent pool player, as was Walter Alston, the former mananger of the Los Angeles Dodgers. Both were said to have run over 100 balls. Leo Durocher was a strong player and a good hustler as a kid in New York. He had to make a decision whether to stick with baseball or pool as a young man. I played pool with Jerry "The Actor" Orbach in New York long before he became famous. He played okay, maybe C+. Paul Sorvino has always been an avid pool player. I also played several times with Jimmy Caan in L.A. He got the eight and the break for fifty a set and never won! David Brenner loved to play pool and he was a partner in the original Amsterdam Billiards in New York. Jackie Gleason was perfect for the part of Minnesota Fats. He hung out in the poolrooms in New York while he was an aspiring actor. He could play to, from what my friend Danny D. told me.

The best celeb players today would be Joe Rogan and Manny Paquiao. I've seen both of them play and they are close to the same speed. Mark Kendall of Great White fame is better than either of them.

phreaticus

Artie Lang, Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods, Jackie Gleason, Mark Twain. All said to play pool for $$, but who really knows?

wakuljr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fred Astaire was an excellent pool player, as was Walter Alston, the former mananger of the Los Angeles Dodgers. Both were said to have run over 100 balls. Leo Durocher was a strong player and a good hustler as a kid in New York. He had to make a decision whether to stick with baseball or pool as a young man. I played pool with Jerry "The Actor" Orbach in New York long before he became famous. He played okay, maybe C+. Paul Sorvino has always been an avid pool player. I also played several times with Jimmy Caan in L.A. He got the eight and the break for fifty a set and never won! David Brenner loved to play pool and he was a partner in the original Amsterdam Billiards in New York. Jackie Gleason was perfect for the part of Minnesota Fats. He hung out in the poolrooms in New York while he was an aspiring actor. He could play to, from what my friend Danny D. told me.

The best celeb players today would be Joe Rogan and Manny Paquiao. I've seen both of them play and they are close to the same speed. Mark Kendall of Great White fame is better than either of them.
Mark came thru Missoula MT with the band in the 90's and lost some cabbage to several players. Incredible guitar player( my favorite band) but didnt play very well up here. Enjoyed hanging out with him at the pool hall, everyone had fun.

wakuljr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great story about Jackie in Willie Masconi s book "Willies game" about Jackie playing Willie. Toots introduced Willie to Jackie as a travelling coat salesman. They played a set to 100 for $50, Willie won, played a 2nd set to 100 for $100, Willie ran 70 right handd and the last 30 left handed. Willie recommended Jackie cor the part of Minnesota Fats. Great read, I recommend it.

middleofnowhere

Registered

Funny you mention Paul Sorvino. He bought some pool memorabilia from me on ebay. When I saw the name I emailed asking if the was Paul Sorvino the actor.
He answered right back saying yes.

I told him I had read his asthma book and he again answered back saying if I needed any help just get in touch with him. He has an asthma foundation. Nice guy.

I always thought pool needed celebrity tie ins. He would be a good one. Something like "The Paul Sorvino 9 ball open" benefitting his charity. All other sports have celebrity connections, golf in pertecluer.

We all know what happened with Dwight Eisenhower and golf. Imagine a President who played pool and had meetings around a pool table. Fantasy of course.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is golf, tennis, gymnastics, swimming, chess or any one of a number of youth activities all misspent time? Why do you single out pool?
Pool normally takes way more time for one to become decent than those Sports. I had a 2 handicap (old system} in golf by 16 just playing nights during the fairly short NY summers-No lessons. I still cant play pool though I have put in thousands of hours.

middleofnowhere

Registered
Pool normally takes way more time for one to become decent than those Sports. I had a 2 handicap (old system} in golf by 16 just playing nights during the fairly short NY summers-No lessons. I still cant play pool though I have put in thousands of hours.
That's true, it's not too many things you do where when you say I've only been playing for 2 or 3 years the it's an excuse for stinking at it. But if you even try to compare it to like Olympic sports, something like gymnastics requires almost a lifetime of commitment through the age of competition.

Last edited:

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it was Justin Rose (pro golfer) who said he plays in a pool league. I don't know how well he plays pool though

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played some with John D. Waiheʻe III when he was the Governor of Hawaii.

He used to stop in Hawaiian Brian’s pretty often and he would gamble cheap with the lady who worked in the pro shop.

He didn’t play very well, but he liked playing.

He bought a beat-up Balabushka in the pro shop for $8,000.

Last time I ran into him was in an elevator in Las Vegas.

I forgot to ask him if he still had the cue.

4CF04689-09B8-46A1-AB52-1470EAD5732A.jpeg

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Peter Falk “Columbo” could play as well
You're right about Falk. He loved to play pool and could often be seen at the big tournaments in L.A. He was good friends with many of the top players of his era; Ed Kelly, Lou Butera, Jersey Red and Danny Diliberto you might see hanging with Peter.

Phil Spector also used to hang around with some of the players and act as their backer. I never saw him pick up a cue, but he just impressed me as a little man with a big mouth. He always carried a gun and pocketfuls of money. He may have been a talented record producer but I never cared for the guy. I was secretly glad when the pool players took him off for a big score.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You're right about Falk. He loved to play pool and could often be seen at the big tournaments in L.A. He was good friends with many of the top players of his era; Ed Kelly, Lou Butera, Jersey Red and Danny Diliberto you might see hanging with Peter.

Phil Spector also used to hang around with some of the players and act as their backer. I never saw him pick up a cue, but he just impressed me as a little man with a big mouth. He always carried a gun and pocketfuls of money. He may have been a talented record producer but I never cared for the guy. I was secretly glad when the pool players took him off for a big score.
I’ve seen specters Bushka. Rick ummmmm owns it now. I can’t remember his name right now. Senile. Grrrrrrr nice guy.

middleofnowhere

Registered

Peter Falk had a show in the 60s called Trials of OBrian and he would play in the show. I am sure it was his idea to showcase his skill at the game.

middleofnowhere

Registered

I just remember an interview I saw with Jerry Orbach where you talked about playing pool in New York. He mentioned all of the crazy characters that he knew and out of nowhere he says yeah one of them this guy Poncho was really something.

I'm assuming it was probably the Poncho we all know or knew. I remember Poncho talking about a lot of the actors he used to play pool with in New York.

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The obvious one would be Joe Rogan, right?
I remember watching a Flip Wilson show one night and I think he had either Wilt Chamberlain or Bill Russell as a guest . They rolled out a pool table ,racked the balls they flipped, with Flip woofing at the guest mercilessly , Flip wins the toss and breaks and runs out! That would be hard to do for anybody , no matter how good they play.