This spot shot bullshit has got to stop

soyale

Look, a LOT of us here are not fans of the tie-break deal. All i can say is contact CSI/Pred/Fargo and let your opinions be known. I've msg'd a couple and am waiting to hear a reply. That being said, i'll take well run, free-streamed pro pool over no pro pool any day. Don't like it don't watch it.
this. for sure.
H

Here is what Anthony Beeler tells his students.... "Sometimes you can do EVERYTHING right, and still lose"!

That's with spot shots, or not.
i'm not complaining. i just put forth the situation where you lose a game of 9 ball because of a spot shot. losing because the other guy is getting better breaks than you is part of 9 ball. losing because the other guy made more spot shots than you is not part of 9 ball. it is, however, part of this event, which i am happy as hell to have provided to me for free! i'm not good enough to play in something like this but if i was i could see myself being dissuaded by the spot shots. maybe that's what they're going for? thin out the field a little bit, who knows? nothing but love over here though, cheers to all who give a damn about pool enough to get upset about it i suppose haha.

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
It's a stupid ass format. Take 2 players with the same Fargo rating. A player can actually win in this format with less rack wins and their fargo will go down lololol
So you don't like the multiple set format because you can lose while having more rack wins, yet you don't have a problem with the format where you can lose without ever even getting to play (winner breaks). Where is the logic in that?

Last edited:

VVP

Registered
Nice shootout between Albin and Souto ... better than any single game in my opinion and maybe the 3,000 people watching the stream.

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice shootout between Albin and Souto ... better than any single game in my opinion and maybe the 3,000 people watching the stream.
Sitting there watching the only thing that came to mind is why don't they just have a spot shot tournament. (n):poop:

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
I loved the kid looking up and practically praying that Albin would miss first.
That's was the moment it became apparent that Souto's mental state had broken and Albin was heavily favored to win from there. The pressure from the shootout had finally gotten to Souto and broken his nerves, resolve, and confidence as was very evident in his face, actions, and body language from there.

Reactions: VVP

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Naoyuki Oi won his match against Jesus Atencio after making 14 spot shots in a row. The entire convention center broke into cheers. One of the pros here said this is the essence of pool. This was the 2nd to last match for the night, and the last match (Biado and Grabe) will end in a shoot-out.

realtor1618

Registered
Naoyuki Oi won his match against Jesus Atencio after making 14 spot shots in a row. The entire convention center broke into cheers. One of the pros here said this is the essence of pool. This was the 2nd to last match for the night, and the last match (Biado and Grabe) will end in a shoot-out.
I was there. For the most part, maybe a dozen or two dozen people would be watching a match at any given time. Kinda sad with the quality of some of the matches. However, when a match went to a shootout, the place came alive and people started to watch from everywhere. Love it or hate it, the shootouts were very popular with the people in attendance. It drew the most eyes and produced the loudest applause

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe it. I can remember a time when guys would go head to head gambling on shooting spots shots....sometimes even a little ring game would break out at it. This was back when 2 shot roll out 9 ball was still a thing.

Here is an old post with a nice synopsis of how 2 shot roll out 9 ball was played by a respected and now sadly gone member here:

Ironman:

If you broke and scratched, all balls spotted and the incoming player had the option of shooting or passing with the cue ball behind the head string. If he fouled agin, you had ball in hand.
If you hooked yourself in the course of the game, you called,Push and he had the option. If he passed it to you and you scratched/fouled, he would recieve ball in hand.
Anytime during the game if there was a ball made and a scratch, the ball spotted and the cue balll was behind the line, of course with the option of shooting or passing.
Many games in those days were won or lost with spot shots.
There was actually some stategy in the game back then instead of all the kicken and prayen.

We miss ya Buddy.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe it. I can remember a time when guys would go head to head gambling on shooting spots shots....sometimes even a little ring game would break out at it. This was back when 2 shot roll out 9 ball was still a thing.

Here is an old post with a nice synopsis of how 2 shot roll out 9 ball was played by a respected and now sadly gone member here:

Ironman:

If you broke and scratched, all balls spotted and the incoming player had the option of shooting or passing with the cue ball behind the head string. If he fouled agin, you had ball in hand.
If you hooked yourself in the course of the game, you called,Push and he had the option. If he passed it to you and you scratched/fouled, he would recieve ball in hand.
Anytime during the game if there was a ball made and a scratch, the ball spotted and the cue balll was behind the line, of course with the option of shooting or passing.
Many games in those days were won or lost with spot shots.
There was actually some stategy in the game back then instead of all the kicken and prayen.

We miss ya Buddy.
2-shot roll-out was a way better game.

That is what was played when I grew up in a pool hall.

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
You'll see that when sets are so short. If they were racing to 11-13 the lower FR players are rarely going to win. This is what FR/CSI/Predator are hoping for, semi-pro/amat. players getting a chance to play the big dogs and possibly win.
I don't think a low 500 player is ever supposed to beat Albin in a set. Then dude drilled his first spot shot! Albin wasn't super happy. :)

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
$25k for first place! Not too shabby. That shoot out last night with Oi and Atencio was great. Jesus and Nick DeLeon are buddies. Nick yelled out "Mac and cheese!" every time Jesus made his shot (no clue why). Next time Oi made is shot he yelled out "Mac and Cheeeeeeeese!" He was so excited. Dude might be my favorite player.

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
$25k for first place! Not too shabby. That shoot out last night with Oi and Atencio was great. Jesus and Nick DeLeon are buddies. Nick yelled out "Mac and cheese!" every time Jesus made his shot (no clue why). Next time Oi made is shot he yelled out "Mac and Cheeeeeeeese!" He was so excited. Dude might be my favorite player.
How many shots did they end up shooting??

In soccer matches the best part is always the shootouts if they happen.

KAP1976

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
“We need a pro tour!” - Pool fans for the last two decades

*Predator and CSI literally create a tour*

“Oh I hate the format. I’m not watching this,”

It’s like wanting to win the lottery, winning the lottery and saying you don’t want to pay the taxes.