How do you go about suing a cue builder? Just want to get my cue back.

stevelomako

President Jefferson Davis library, Beauvoir
Silver Member
44 special jhp. 9mm jhp, good quality. I live in Florida
You’re not using hollow points at the range are you?

I’ve got tons of .223, .380, 9mm and 22lr

All fmj though.

I’m near pt charlotte. I love the outdoor ranges at some of the state parks.

middleofnowhere

Registered
There’s lots of bad advice in this thread with good intentions Duc.

Number one the police don’t care. This is a civil matter not criminal, so all that’s out the window.

The BBB complaint while it might make you feel good will have no negative effect on his biz and he can respond to it and squash it. When he gets over 100 complaints a month then the cue maker has a problem. Until then-nothing.

During in small claims court is your best course of action. But is it worth the time and effort? Remember it’s easy to sue anyone at anytime. Winning is another thing-I think you have the best of it. But the HARDEST part is getting a enforcement in any judgment you may win. And to obtain that judgment and win it you have to show your damages. If he just didn’t do the job-what’s the “real loss” you incurred? Not much. Unless I missed something.

This is a case where handling your own biz is better than going through the system.

Fatboy <——knows a good bit about this topic
Not so sure. A case could be made it is a thieft. Even fraud or even mail fraud. Something once started can take on a life of it's own.

I cashed a check for a guy for $1000.00 only to find it was written on a closed account. After no luck getting hold of the guy I went to the cops. Here's what happened.

They followed up on it. Turned out the account was in the wife's name. They lived in a city about 200 miles away. The wife was arrested at her job, she was a nurse. She was taken away in handcuffs.

I got my money and all was dropped. I could not believe how it took on a life of it's own. There is no way of knowing what may happen to this cuemaker if this is persued legally. It could snowball.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not so sure. A case could be made it is a thieft. Even fraud or even mail fraud. Something once started can take on a life of it's own.

I cashed a check for a guy for $1000.00 only to find it was written on a closed account. After no luck getting hold of the guy I went to the cops. Here's what happened.

They followed up on it. Turned out the account was in the wife's name. They lived in a city about 200 miles away. The wife was arrested at her job, she was a nurse. She was taken away in handcuffs.

I got my money and all was dropped. I could not believe how it took on a life of it's own. There is no way of knowing what may happen to this cuemaker if this is persued legally. It could snowball.
Ok, sure

middleofnowhere

Registered
You’re not using hollow points at the range are you?

I’ve got tons of .223, .380, 9mm and 22lr

All fmj though.

I’m near pt charlotte. I love the outdoor ranges at some of the state parks.
No, I may shoot a few rounds. I just want more self defense stock. The 44 I have almost none. That used to be my carry gun. Now I carry a Beretta PX4, with the mods. I love that gun. When I go to the range most have never seen one in person.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why would it solve nothing? I had the exact same situation with the exact same builder (Dennis Searing). Flew over, visited his shop unannounced and got my cues with not so much as a bad word spoken by either of us. Shame it had to come to that but it sure solved the issue.
The guy lives in NY- I guess that decision is up to him to fly there or not- I do not know this guy Searing, I am just going by what is possible and not possible in this state of Fl. where I live now. Your outcome was good- happy for you - but not every outcome has to turn out that way,

I do not know either one of these parties- one may just "lose it' during the "meeting" - in a normal case that is just part of life and it may get resolved peacefully. However, and again, I don't know either of these parties, in Fl. - a "stand your ground" state, and vehemently so, by the way- if the "out of towner" " loses it" and things get ugly - the business owner at his own place of work or home has nothing to lose in defending his person or property at that moment in a legal way that could turn out very bad for the other guy.

So let the guy decide if he wants to fly here- but every possibility should be weighed to make that decision and I think he ought to know how much the laws here in Fl. may work against him if things somehow do get out of hand.

Look, before I moved to Fl. 4 years ago I did not know myself how powerful the "stand your ground" laws are defended here, now that I do, I am very, very careful about how I react to situations, even though I am armed myself here now. Treyvon Martin case was only one of many here, where one person, even though unarmed, can be taken out legally by the other guy with a registered pistol.

I am NOT taking a political stance on this - but the OP needs to be informed before "jumping on a plane" and knocking on a door demanding reparation.

stevelomako

President Jefferson Davis library, Beauvoir
Silver Member
No, I may shoot a few rounds. I just want more self defense stock. The 44 I have almost none. That used to be my carry gun. Now I carry a Beretta PX4, with the mods. I love that gun. When I go to the range most have never seen one in person.
Ok. Got it.

I’ve done special orders for friends in FLA and Mi.

I take round trips from Florida to Kansas to Michigan and back to Florida.

Mississippi, Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas are ammo hotbeds. I can usually find the hard to find, depends on if I hit all the places when I’m traveling.

If I made a profit it would be sweeter but like I said I’m just looking for the stuff friends can’t find.

I’ll keep my eyes open when I hit the road again and let you know.

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

It’s a bailment issue.

middleofnowhere

Registered
The guy lives in NY- I guess that decision is up to him to fly there or not- I do not know this guy Searing, I am just going by what is possible and not possible in this state of Fl. where I live now. Your outcome was good- happy for you - but not every outcome has to turn out that way,

I do not know either one of these parties- one may just "lose it' during the "meeting" - in a normal case that is just part of life and it may get resolved peacefully. However, and again, I don't know either of these parties, in Fl. - a "stand your ground" state, and vehemently so, by the way- if the "out of towner" " loses it" and things get ugly - the business owner at his own place of work or home has nothing to lose in defending his person or property at that moment in a legal way that could turn out very bad for the other guy.

So let the guy decide if he wants to fly here- but every possibility should be weighed to make that decision and I think he ought to know how much the laws here in Fl. may work against him if things somehow do get out of hand.

Look, before I moved to Fl. 4 years ago I did not know myself how powerful the "stand your ground" laws are defended here, now that I do, I am very, very careful about how I react to situations, even though I am armed myself here now. Treyvon Martin case was only one of many here, where one person, even though unarmed, can be taken out legally by the other guy with a registered pistol.

I am NOT taking a political stance on this - but the OP needs to be informed before "jumping on a plane" and knocking on a door demanding reparation.
The Martin case was not stand your ground, It was never used. It was only discussed in the news. Stand your ground is a hearing before a judge. If it is determined to be, you are not charged with anything. Zimmerman went to trial claiming self defense. It predated doorcams. Today it may have been different. Nice to have no witnesses.

PROSECUTORIAL IMMUNITY​

Florida’s Stand Your Ground law provides potential immunity from prosecution for an accused whose actions are shown to fall within the provisions of the statute. The potential for immunity marks another significant departure from self-defense claims at common law.

In the Zimmerman case it didn't even remotely apply. He was out in the open essentially hunting that kid much like those three guys that were just convicted couple weeks ago. All trayvon Martin needed was witnesses and Zimmerman would have been locked away.

They had one witness the girl that he was on the phone with at the time it happened but when they put her on the stand she was so bad almost illiterate she didn't help at all.

Last edited:

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
bass pro shop had a ton if it yesterday. 9mm no 44. so do the gun shops.
the better stuff is like 1 to 1.5 bucks a round still. but range fmj is about 40 cents now.

DryFlyTrout

Maybe this is the wrong way to view this situation, but from my point of view...
OP should name the cuemaker causing him problems so we may make an informed decision on doing business with that cuemaker or OP should find others to ask for help until he is willing to return the courtesy. It's almost like he wants us to experience his misery.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Maybe this is the wrong way to view this situation, but from my point of view...
OP should name the cuemaker causing him problems so we may make an informed decision on doing business with that cuemaker or OP should find others to ask for help until he is willing to return the courtesy. It's almost like he wants us to experience his misery.
He's already been named

jazznpool

Superior Cues--Unchalked!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I had my cue send in to a cue builder for a pin repairs and it's been almost 3 years now. I have pics and text confirmation of him receiving the cue and also had several conversation over the phone on delivery time line, all this was prior to the covid pandemic. I've been trying to reach the builder for over 1 year now and he hasn't responded to my calls or email. The cue value is under 3K and I'm wondering if it worth it to pursue legal action. I'm thinking of first creating a police report in his state for the stolen item and then take legal action via small claim court. Anyone had any successful experience with trying to get their cue back from the cue builder through legal action? Is it even worth the time and effort?

I'm thinking of also flying down to his shop and just surprised him to pick it up. At this point, I'm sure he hasn't fix the pin issue so all I'm asking for is my cue back and I'll have the pin fix elsewhere. This has been one of the worst experience that I had with any cue builder over the last 25 years plus that I've been around this industry. It's just a shame how one of the best recognized name in our cue world conduct his business this way and I'm sure am not the only one that had this experience.

Thanks,
Duc.

I had my cue send in to a cue builder for a pin repairs and it's been almost 3 years now. I have pics and text confirmation of him receiving the cue and also had several conversation over the phone on delivery time line, all this was prior to the covid pandemic. I've been trying to reach the builder for over 1 year now and he hasn't responded to my calls or email. The cue value is under 3K and I'm wondering if it worth it to pursue legal action. I'm thinking of first creating a police report in his state for the stolen item and then take legal action via small claim court. Anyone had any successful experience with trying to get their cue back from the cue builder through legal action? Is it even worth the time and effort?

I'm thinking of also flying down to his shop and just surprised him to pick it up. At this point, I'm sure he hasn't fix the pin issue so all I'm asking for is my cue back and I'll have the pin fix elsewhere. This has been one of the worst experience that I had with any cue builder over the last 25 years plus that I've been around this industry. It's just a shame how one of the best recognized name in our cue world conduct his business this way and I'm sure am not the only one that had this experience.

Thanks,
Duc.
Hey Duc, Sorry to hear you are having an unfortunate situation. Just a suggestion. Write a very simple letter and offer to pay to have your cue shipped back to you "as is" right now. Your repairs sound as though they are not complicated and could be addressed in a more timely way with someone else possibly local to you. It is senseless to incur extra expense and live with ongoing stress over this. Sometimes networking can also be helpful but I think it is absolutely key that you take your cue back in whatever condition it is in right now. Best of luck to you and hope to see you at SBE in April!

Cuemaster98

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your signature block says you are a cue maker.

If that is the case, why didn't you do the work yourself?
Builder said it was his early conversion cue and he used thinner ca so that the pin can be easier to remove and/or replace if needed. I could of replace or fix the radial pin myself but doing so will de-value the cue. Who do you know that have sneeky Pete selling for 2-3k? The cue plays very solid and I really want it all to be original from the builder. thanks

Cuemaster98

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey Duc, Sorry to hear you are having an unfortunate situation. Just a suggestion. Write a very simple letter and offer to pay to have your cue shipped back to you "as is" right now. Your repairs sound as though they are not complicated and could be addressed in a more timely way with someone else possibly local to you. It is senseless to incur extra expense and live with ongoing stress over this. Sometimes networking can also be helpful but I think it is absolutely key that you take your cue back in whatever condition it is in right now. Best of luck to you and hope to see you at SBE in April!
Thanks, Martin. I like your suggestion, I’ll send a letter to his shop with the shipping cost and see if he’ll respond.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Builder said it was his early conversion cue and he used thinner ca so that the pin can be easier to remove and/or replace if needed. I could of replace or fix the radial pin myself but doing so will de-value the cue. Who do you know that have sneeky Pete selling for 2-3k? The cue plays very solid and I really want it all to be original from the builder. thanks
Duc, you made a mistake and trusted the wrong guy. In your case a simple letter from an attorney may work for you. Somehow hearing from an attorney can often cause people to take action. There have been many other suggestions made on here, some good and some not so good.

When I was a young man I handled similar issues personally, including confronting people and using force. In my more mature state of life I will avoid acting in this manner in almost all cases. Someone would have to pose a threat to me or my wife to see that bad side of me.

A couple of years ago I bought a classic car for 19K, when it was represented to me with very low mileage. The seller offered me some "proof" in documents he forwarded to me. I put another 3K+ into the car and drove it for a year or so, before deciding to sell it. I put it on a popular online site for classic cars hoping to just get my money back or close to it. Someone who worked for the site did some digging and discovered a shop where the car had been worked on. On their documentation the mileage was MUCH higher, which adversely affected the sale price. I ended up selling the car for 10K. I contacted the man who sold me the car and like you got no response. He lives about 200 miles away and the thought of visiting him crossed my mind. But for what purpose? What can I hope to accomplish? He is a big man, so should I go armed? Of course not! I've got too much to lose. In truth 10K won't change my life or affect my living conditions in any way.

I discussed all this with my attorney and he convinced me it was not worth the trouble. I wrote it off as a mistake in judgement on my part. Lesson learned. My advice to you is just this. Try a letter from your attorney and see what happens. If that fails, let it go and move on with your life. I suspect 2-3K is not life changing money for you. I sure hope so.

P.S. You would be doing a service to others by posting this here (and amplify his name) and on other billiard web sites. At least it may inform others of what to expect in dealing with him.

Last edited:

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the Zimmerman case it didn't even remotely apply. He was out in the open essentially hunting that kid much like those three guys that were just convicted couple weeks ago. All trayvon Martin needed was witnesses and Zimmerman would have been locked away.
You mean Trayvon would have been locked up for nearly killing Zimmerman if Zimmerman didn't have a weapon to defend himself, right?