How do you go about suing a cue builder? Just want to get my cue back.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You mean Trayvon would have been locked up for nearly killing Zimmerman if Zimmerman didn't have a weapon to defend himself, right?
Not being political here- IN Florida you do NOT need to be assaulted by a person with a weapon to use your own legally registered weapon to defend yourself against great bodily harm that you perceive as possible a threat to your life.

SO- if I have a registered handgun on my possession, I am not the known direct physical cause of a fight with you that begins for any reason, you are kicking my ass to the point that I reasonably perceive a possible danger to my life ( which can have a wide range of interpretation); I can use my weapon at that point to stop the threat with out being charged with a crime.

A weapon does not have to be in the hands of the person who gets shot- choking, banging someone's head against a hard surface, slamming someone to the ground, striking repeatedly with fists or feet ALL can constitute physical threats to one's life.

So whether the guy with the gun obtains immunity from prosecution under stand your ground or somehow gets charged ( not likely in Florida based on recent history) - the guy with no gun is dead - not worth the price of a pool cue- that is all I am saying- risk/reward basics.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I do not know the person holding the cue personally. I tried to have work done and never got calls or emails returned so I dismissed him. My gut is he is too busy, lazy, stopped caring or sick and does not respond to his customers. (no excuse). My .02 is if someone showed up at this door he would embarrassingly return the cue (and hopefully it was not chucked up in a state of repair). I'd bet it's sitting getting dusty and nothing was done to it. Interesting... if someone owed him money he'd probably be their door. At this point I'd only send a high end cue to Proficient Billiards. His work speaks for itself. He commits and returns in more than a reasonable amount of time.

middleofnowhere

Registered
Not being political here- IN Florida you do NOT need to be assaulted by a person with a weapon to use your own legally registered weapon to defend yourself against great bodily harm that you perceive as possible a threat to your life.

SO- if I have a registered handgun on my possession, I am not the known direct physical cause of a fight with you that begins for any reason, you are kicking my ass to the point that I reasonably perceive a possible danger to my life ( which can have a wide range of interpretation); I can use my weapon at that point to stop the threat with out being charged with a crime.

A weapon does not have to be in the hands of the person who gets shot- choking, banging someone's head against a hard surface, slamming someone to the ground, striking repeatedly with fists or feet ALL can constitute physical threats to one's life.

So whether the guy with the gun obtains immunity from prosecution under stand your ground or somehow gets charged ( not likely in Florida based on recent history) - the guy with no gun is dead - not worth the price of a pool cue- that is all I am saying- risk/reward basics.
That was the reason for my comment about doorcams. We don't know what really happened. The girlfriend who Martin was on the phone with said some guy was following him. It was Martin who was in fear. Problem is, we only have Zimmerman's story.

Turned out the kid was pretty tough. There have already been cases where self defense has not held up when the one claiming self defense started the events. In fact we just saw it a few weeks ago with the three guys who got life.

That case was pretty close in facts to the Martin case. A guy being pursued (as he told his girlfriend in contempory time) who finally defended himself and was killed. In Martins case, no video just a one sided story from a guy who history has shown to not be a very honorable person.

middleofnowhere

Registered
You mean this one?

State of Florida v. George Zimmerman was a criminal prosecution of George Zimmerman on the charge of second-degree murder stemming from the killing of Trayvon Martin on February 26, 2012.

After sixteen hours of deliberations over the course of two days, on July 13, 2013, the six-person jury rendered a not guilty verdict on all counts.
I was referring to your comments that were just speculation. It would have been nice to have had a video of what really happened. There is little doubt Zimmermans description of events are suspect but in that light the jury had not choice.

Zimmerman has proven to be let's say, not the most honest of people.
By the way, it is a good thing it is hard to convict someone.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was referring to your comments that were just speculation. It would have been nice to have had a video of what really happened. There is little doubt Zimmermans description of events are suspect but in that light the jury had not choice.

Zimmerman has proven to be let's say, not the most honest of people.
By the way, it is a good thing it is hard to convict someone.
Well let's just say that NBC's version of what happened were proven false but I agree with you on the bold part. I don't want to distract this tread any more. Sorry to the OP.

middleofnowhere

Registered
Well let's just say that NBC's version of what happened were proven false but I agree with you on the bold part. I don't want to distract this tread any more. Sorry to the OP.
The thread went this way for a reason. Regarding the cue, you can't just show up at someone's house possably with I'll intent. The cue situation needs a legal solution. This thing with cue makers not responding to customers has to be stopped, and not by threatening violence.
In most all these cases the complaining party just wants their property back regardless repaired or not. It sounds pretty simple. A judge would just order that, end of story. It should not take a judge, just do it.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
i know of a guy that couldnt get paid what he was owed. so he calmly told the guy if he didnt square up his car would get at least that much damage until he got paid. the guy paid up. no personal threat needed.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The thread went this way for a reason. Regarding the cue, you can't just show up at someone's house possably with I'll intent. The cue situation needs a legal solution. This thing with cue makers not responding to customers has to be stopped, and not by threatening violence.
In most all these cases the complaining party just wants their property back regardless repaired or not. It sounds pretty simple. A judge would just order that, end of story. It should not take a judge, just do it.
Yes agree with you here- this thread started bc the OP was asking if he should fly to (Fl.) and just show up at someone's home to demand a cue - some people here said YES that they suggest he should in fact do that- fly here and show up at the guy's house or business making demands - they claim that they were, in fact, successful doing just that. Fine for them.

Others, like myself warn against the approach of showing up at a home here in Fl. to make demands on the homeowner - I lived in NY and now in Fl. this is 2022, not 1865. The OP asked the question about flying here- my answer is that it could be not only a waste of time but just not a very smart thing to do anymore. Glad that most of us here also think that flying down here to "settle" this is utter nonsense.

middleofnowhere

Registered
i know of a guy that couldnt get paid what he was owed. so he calmly told the guy if he didnt square up his car would get at least that much damage until he got paid. the guy paid up. no personal threat needed.
You lose the higher ground once you do something like that. The other party will call the cops. Now you are the one in trouble. Not to say, no matter what you do you will get caught.
A guy was just arrested at his house 200 from where he committed his crime. He was picked up on traffic cams and followed home. Today most of the past bad guys would all be in jail.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Go down there, go find the DA and buy him a REALLY nice lunch and explain the situation. Ask if he can contact the guy or post a notice on his shop door. Now, go buy the DA a REALLY nice dinner(maybe a bottle of single-malt) and thank him for his time. Lastly, drive to Nitti's shop and get a cue. ;)

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Go down there, go find the DA and buy him a REALLY nice lunch and explain the situation. Ask if he can contact the guy or post a notice on his shop door. Now, go buy the DA a REALLY nice dinner(maybe a bottle of single-malt) and thank him for his time. Lastly, drive to Nitti's shop and get a cue. ;)
FYI...there is no corruption in Florida. choke choke cough cough gag

middleofnowhere

Registered
You are pretty much right. Not the DA but the States Attorney. I can guarantee they will look into it. I had a States Attorney help me once when I was having police harassment. It ended quick.

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
You are pretty much right. Not the DA but the States Attorney. I can guarantee they will look into it. I had a States Attorney help me once when I was having police harassment. It ended quick.

The police don't even investigate murders anymore let alone elderly woodworkers who lose pool cues. Please see the comment from the actual criminal defense attorney above.

Shuddy

Diamond Dave’s babysitter
Silver Member
Dude runs a business, right? I’ve heard other people talk about going to visit for tips, work, etc. I really don’t see why turning up to his place of business and saying, “Hey man, remember that cue I sent you a while back? This one, in the photo? I happened to be in your area and thought I’d pick it up. It’s cool if you haven’t finished the work,” would result in guns and police and violence and DAs and SAs and Jean-Claude Van Dam split-kicking someone’s head off.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The police don't even investigate murders anymore let alone elderly woodworkers who lose pool cues. Please see the comment from the actual criminal defense attorney above.
What post are you referring to? Saying police don't invest. murders sounds a little wacky to me. Glad i live in a city with a great PD. Tulsa has about 65-80 homicides/yr and TPD's arrest and clearance rate is over 90%. Not that many are random so it doesn't take long to find who did it.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The guy lives in NY- I guess that decision is up to him to fly there or not- I do not know this guy Searing, I am just going by what is possible and not possible in this state of Fl. where I live now. Your outcome was good- happy for you - but not every outcome has to turn out that way,

I do not know either one of these parties- one may just "lose it' during the "meeting" - in a normal case that is just part of life and it may get resolved peacefully. However, and again, I don't know either of these parties, in Fl. - a "stand your ground" state, and vehemently so, by the way- if the "out of towner" " loses it" and things get ugly - the business owner at his own place of work or home has nothing to lose in defending his person or property at that moment in a legal way that could turn out very bad for the other guy.

So let the guy decide if he wants to fly here- but every possibility should be weighed to make that decision and I think he ought to know how much the laws here in Fl. may work against him if things somehow do get out of hand.

Look, before I moved to Fl. 4 years ago I did not know myself how powerful the "stand your ground" laws are defended here, now that I do, I am very, very careful about how I react to situations, even though I am armed myself here now. Treyvon Martin case was only one of many here, where one person, even though unarmed, can be taken out legally by the other guy with a registered pistol.

I am NOT taking a political stance on this - but the OP needs to be informed before "jumping on a plane" and knocking on a door demanding reparation.
Really?? the guy's a fkng cuemaker not Charles Manson. I think going to his shop and politely asking for his property back would end this deal.