This spot shot bullshit has got to stop

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
I've never seen a football, baseball or basketball match allotted that little time on TV.
Well yeah, that's because they are football, baseball and basketball... :ROFLMAO:

They draw millions of viewers... I was watching a couple random matches of this tournament live on occasion and the viewer count was a steady 2000. That 2000 is high for a pool event, it being a free stream I'm sure contributed to that.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
I've never seen a football, baseball or basketball match allotted that little time on TV.
Football, Baseball and Basketball have huge contracts with the TV networks that air them, networks that want their (paid) commercials run as often as possible.

Get sponsors lined up and you can have pool on tv in any format you want, you just need to purchase the time. ESPN will set you up tomorrow if you have the $$$.

Icon of Sin

Silver Member
The other thing is the formatting of a pool tournament. Football, Baseball, Basketball are all aired LIVE. With Football there are multiple games aired on any given Sunday on multiple different channels, then that is pretty much it until the next week (not counting the single games on Monday and Thursday.

A pool tournament can take 5+ days with 3-5 matches a day on the streaming table. Looking at an average of 1hour30mins per match and let's say commercials and everything else all fit into that 1hour 30min time frame, you are looking at 6 hours of TV time a needed to broadcast 1 days worth of a pool tournament... that over there course of 5 days... if you want to broadcast a pool tournament live, you are looking at roughly 30 hours of pool spread over the course of 5 days.

I doubt 30 hours of pool total has been broadcast on TV in the last 7 years...

tomatoshooter

Didn't the USTA tennis association at one point do a sudden death win by two? Or they may still do it??
I think tennis is pretty much win by two. Individual games must be won by two, if a set isn't won by two games, it must go to a tiebreaker game that is also win by two but serve switches after every odd point. I think tennis sets and scoring are a good system and it would be interesting to see pool draw some influence from them.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
The other thing is the formatting of a pool tournament. Football, Baseball, Basketball are all aired LIVE. With Football there are multiple games aired on any given Sunday on multiple different channels, then that is pretty much it until the next week (not counting the single games on Monday and Thursday.

A pool tournament can take 5+ days with 3-5 matches a day on the streaming table. Looking at an average of 1hour30mins per match and let's say commercials and everything else all fit into that 1hour 30min time frame, you are looking at 6 hours of TV time a needed to broadcast 1 days worth of a pool tournament... that over there course of 5 days... if you want to broadcast a pool tournament live, you are looking at roughly 30 hours of pool spread over the course of 5 days.

If you caught it later, I can understand. Arizona Open was streamed live, just like other sports.

Icon of Sin

Silver Member
If you caught it later, I can understand. Arizona Open was streamed live, just like other sports.
Dude, you are kinda missing my point.

Arizona Open was STREAMED live on the internet. No TV station is going to broadcast that much pool, live, over the course of the tournament.

Banger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In my case it was streaming, but I got the whole tournament on FTF television.

Edit: Just checked, and 3 cushion billiards is live on FTF, right now, for another 2.5 hours (it's been on for 1.5 hours, already).

Double Edit: 3 cushion is over, and now it's replay of the Ohio Open.

Last edited:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not to be too persnickety, but these aren't spot shots in the CSI tournaments. The object ball is placed a couple of balls below the foot spot (where the 10 ball would be in a 10 ball rack).

No worries. I thought the pool forum would enjoy the video about "spot shots." I have deleted my post and won't make that mistake again.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member

Interesting....Jewett will answer that I'm sure.
He Was in that conversation back then.
Annual air time. ???????
You jogged my brain on that one. I kinda remember around 45 hrs a yr of televised pool at one time.

Icon of Sin

Silver Member
That's why, rack your own might

Interesting....Jewett will answer that I'm sure.
He Was in that conversation back then.
Annual air time. ???????
You jogged my brain on that one. I kinda remember around 45 hrs a yr of televised pool at one time.
42 hours of it was ESPN Trick Shot Magic. The other 3 hours were the Semis and the Final of the ESPN Challenge of Champions LOLOL

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
42 hours of it was ESPN Trick Shot Magic. The other 3 hours were the Semis and the Final of the ESPN Challenge of Champions LOLOL
ProBilliardTour used to be on quite a bit. That was before the CoC and trick shot stuff. I don't know what the yearly hrs. were but they showed quite a bit of pool back then.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
I'd much rather see the gals, dressed sharp rackin'.
And the ladies.
They too, would enjoy watching the young up and coming male players racking, like the #1 Worlds Jr. player.) Good lookin man.
This IS part of OUR game.
An example....
90's....Janette Lee rackin' balls in a dark pool room wearin' a White mini skirt.
THAT..... was something to behold.
And nowadazzzzzzzzzzzzzze with.... this/that & rock and roll, it would be a natural.....Because it is.

IF you wanna tell it yah ''gotta sell it'' in life.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Dude, you are kinda missing my point.

Arizona Open was STREAMED live on the internet. No TV station is going to broadcast that much pool, live, over the course of the tournament.

You are right, the current quality of streams is not acceptable to any of the networks. While camcorder and cellphone streams are good enough for pool nits, it's not acceptable for TV. CSI and Predator have a joint vision to grow viewership, on par with other sports. They consulted with the TV industry. They are producing a higher quality product that the stations will want for broadcasting.

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Actually I don´t like this spot shot stuff here but i played first match on WPS back in 2017 and we got 12-12 and shoot out. I was 6-0 down before i did have a shot. 3 dry breaks + opponent ran out his own breaks too.
Pressure is huge on this kinda situtations. I just would like to see it done something like Darrens if we gonna see this kinda format!
Here was my shootout :