Statement from The Legends of Pocket Billiards

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Something occurred to me about Schmidt and the 626 that I haven't seen mentioned before. It's kind of like the 4 minute mile. It was considered impossible until someone did it and then a lot of people followed suit. I think being the first to break Mosconi's official record is a big thing, and might have helped grease the skids for others to follow. Just wanted to throw that out there.

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But the size of the cups on the greens are the same.
So you’re saying if you shoot a 69 at Augusta it’s the same as shooting a 69 at some cow pasture course? Of course not. Just like running 714 balls on a 4 1/2” pockets isn’t the same as 5” pockets, but for me it doesn’t detract from the accomplishment. If it’s such a big deal and so easy why didn’t Shane shoot a higher number?

It seems to me most of the people screaming the loudest would be the last to actually try to do something about getting BCA to adopt standards for tournaments and record breaking attempts. As a longtime room owner who’s worked hard and studied the equipment to protect your investment I don’t lump you in this category, but to me it just seems odd to argue over something where it’s impossible to have a clear winner. I think everyone agrees it was a gully bucket of a table and I wouldn’t want to play one pocket on it, but for an attempt to break John Schmidt’s record run I think it was a very similar set up table.

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
Something occurred to me about Schmidt and the 626 that I haven't seen mentioned before. It's kind of like the 4 minute mile. It was considered impossible until someone did it and then a lot of people followed suit. I think being the first to break Mosconi's official record is a big thing, and might have helped grease the skids for others to follow. Just wanted to throw that out there.
I had the same thought here.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
So you’re saying if you shoot a 69 at Augusta it’s the same as shooting a 69 at some cow pasture course? Of course not. Just like running 714 balls on a 4 1/2” pockets isn’t the same as 5” pockets, but for me it doesn’t detract from the accomplishment. If it’s such a big deal and so easy why didn’t Shane shoot a higher number?

It seems to me most of the people screaming the loudest would be the last to actually try to do something about getting BCA to adopt standards for tournaments and record breaking attempts. As a longtime room owner who’s worked hard and studied the equipment to protect your investment I don’t lump you in this category, but to me it just seems odd to argue over something where it’s impossible to have a clear winner. I think everyone agrees it was a gully bucket of a table and I wouldn’t want to play one pocket on it, but for an attempt to break John Schmidt’s record run I think it was a very similar set up table.
Then not one person should have a negative thing to say when I set up a 9ft with 6" corner pockets and 6 1/2" side pockets, install a cloth on the table that helps provide the balls the ability to slide across the playing surface before they start rolling, and John runs past 714 with little effort, balls IN the pockets, right?😉

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Yes, standards for record breaking attempts would be good. For tournaments, not such a big deal since everyone is playing on the same table.

It would just be a nice fantasy if the BCA requested the pocket specs be provided for this record run. Then, (as I believe we can all agree they were certainly on the generous side) those specs could be used as the maximum pocket specs allowable for future attempts at breaking the current high run.

realkingcobra

Silver Member

You miss the point of the cups being the same size no matter what course golf is being played on, but if that makes a difference to you, then the same can be said about the different levels of skills being played on 7ft, 8ft, 9fts, and 10fts. There's your comparison of golf course differences, same cup, same pockets.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Then not one person should have a negative thing to say when I set up a 9ft with 6" corner pockets and 6 1/2" side pockets, install a cloth on the table that helps provide the balls the ability to slide across the playing surface before they start rolling, and John runs past 714 with little effort, balls IN the pockets, right?😉
That's the truth. That's the issue with there not being a "real" standard, ever in this game.

On the other hand, not having a standard allows us a lot of choice. Buckets for bars to make money. Tight for one pocket. Loose for straight pool. Medium for 9 ball. And buckets for me at my house so I can beat the ghost once in a blue moon.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
That's the truth. That's the issue with there not being a "real" standard, ever in this game.

On the other hand, not having a standard allows us a lot of choice. Buckets for bars to make money. Tight for one pocket. Loose for straight pool. Medium for 9 ball. And buckets for me at my house so I can beat the ghost once in a blue moon.
If all pockets are 4 1/2" and 5", don't both players have the exact same advantages and disadvantages??? Why should pockets be made bigger for weaker players, but tighter for better players? How about if the weaker players don't feel they have a fair chance to win against the better players, then they DON'T play against the better players!!

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If all pockets are 4 1/2" and 5", don't both players have the exact same advantages and disadvantages??? Why should pockets be made bigger for weaker players, but tighter for better players? How about if the weaker players don't feel they have a fair chance to win against the better players, then they DON'T play against the better players!!
That wasn’t my point. My point was one advantage to our sport’s disorganization is there are lots of choices on table setup.

Sometimes too much organization takes away freedoms. Look at Billy T for a recent example in our sport.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's often said the stronger player has a distinct advantage on tight pockets. Be that as it may, I think stronger players have distinct advantages on looser pockets as well. They have instantly more options/headroom while the weaker player will still be mired in pocketing.

realkingcobra

Silver Member

It's often said the stronger player has a distinct advantage on tight pockets. Be that as it may, I think stronger players have distinct advantages on looser pockets as well. They have instantly more options/headroom while the weaker player will still be mired in pocketing.
If gambling, adjust the spot, don't handicap the damn table!!!

realkingcobra

Silver Member
That wasn’t my point. My point was one advantage to our sport’s disorganization is there are lots of choices on table setup.

Sometimes too much organization takes away freedoms. Look at Billy T for a recent example in our sport.
That's on Billy Thorp, not the sport.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Purpose being??
Simply technical refinement. Headroom. You've probably seen and ignored the posts I've made on jawless pockets. These would have the rails cut flat, perpendicular to the cushion nose. Reason being you could now have the minimum possible aperture (I estimate 3.5" give or take) yet unlike snooker pockets, shots down the rail would go. Perfecting pocketing to that degree would free anyone to play the pool at a new level. That's all.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
The CFL retained its striping scheme when it adopted NFL measurement specifications in 2018.
Right on, I stand corrected. Goes to show how much I care about the CFL. Everytime they start advertising the Grey Cup I wonder how it's managed to stay afloat. If they finally adopt a 4th down, I might even make the effort to pause my thumb while channel surfing. Still wouldn't be as entertaining the USA college game.

Looks as though the playing field is still larger though. Probably a closer comparison to the argument about playing pool on random spec'd tables.