2022 AZ Billiards Straight Pool Challenge!

kanzzo

hobby player
had the nicest 14.1 training session so far (in my life) :oops:
topping my best session with 108 in 3 consecutive innings (29,55,25). (55 run starting at 12:10)
this is how straight pool looks by someone with good pocketing, bad patters 😅

If someone wants to take the time to watch it, I'd appreciate the comments...

Last edited:

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
It ain’t poetry, but it’s 71. Patterns aren’t great so not much to learn here. Also, I wasnt re racking after a miss last night.

I bought this cue sort of on a whim off eBay (the price was good and the seller accepted my offer for slightly less than the asking price). It’s 57.5”. I don’t think I’ve played with a cue shorter than 58”. I kind of like the shorter length.

It’s a 1980 Richard Black “After Six.” Could use a refinish but it’s in good shape and plays solid. Great cue.

Last edited:

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
38 here. I think this is my high run, but I can't remember for sure. After I saw the break, I knew I was going to get into the 40s, and I think I jinxed myself. I missed the easiest shot imaginable!

Edit: yes, its my high run by one on a 9'. I had a 37 in 2017. I had a 44 in 2013 on a 7' Diamond.

Last edited:

sparkle84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
topping my best session with 108 in 3 consecutive innings (29,55,25). (55 run starting at 12:10)
this is how straight pool looks by someone with good pocketing, bad patters 😅

If someone wants to take the time to watch it, I'd appreciate the comments...

You should be able to realize significant gains by improvement in the following areas.
More precise CB control. In particular when manipulating direction off OB's using tip variation on the vertical axis. Of course speed and playing to different parts of the pocket play a role also. You've heard the term "he's playing 9ball straight pool". One characteristic of that is playing "area" position. Now I'm not saying that's what you're doing. If we classify area position as 1 and exact pinpoint position as 10 then I'd say that in general you're most often operating in the 5-8 range. In this game that's hurting you. Getting up in the 7-10 range will reap major benefits. It seems you've got the skills to do it. You have to focus on it and believe in it's importance.

Precise CB direction will also improve your results when going into clusters. I've seen numerous times in your videos where you've broken clusters with less than optimal results. You're aware of when this happens. From my viewpoint it's usually a result of the wrong contact point (sometimes that's a result of a bad angle which may be related to what I described above) or wrong speed or a combination of the two. I'd suggest going back and taking a look at those instances on video. Pause before you shoot the shot and analyze the cluster more closely. I think in most cases you'll see what I saw and realize what went wrong.

I've noticed that a number of times you're still scrambling with only 4-5 balls left. Of course that happens and we try to get through it as best we can. My point is that if you tighten up the areas I mentioned it will greatly reduce the occurrence. Your shot selection and delays in dealing with problems are also contributors but I don't have time right now to get into that. Good luck.

kanzzo

hobby player
You should be able to realize significant gains by improvement in the following areas.
More precise CB control. In particular when manipulating direction off OB's using tip variation on the vertical axis. Of course speed and playing to different parts of the pocket play a role also. You've heard the term "he's playing 9ball straight pool". One characteristic of that is playing "area" position. Now I'm not saying that's what you're doing. If we classify area position as 1 and exact pinpoint position as 10 then I'd say that in general you're most often operating in the 5-8 range. In this game that's hurting you. Getting up in the 7-10 range will reap major benefits. It seems you've got the skills to do it. You have to focus on it and believe in it's importance.

Precise CB direction will also improve your results when going into clusters. I've seen numerous times in your videos where you've broken clusters with less than optimal results. You're aware of when this happens. From my viewpoint it's usually a result of the wrong contact point (sometimes that's a result of a bad angle which may be related to what I described above) or wrong speed or a combination of the two. I'd suggest going back and taking a look at those instances on video. Pause before you shoot the shot and analyze the cluster more closely. I think in most cases you'll see what I saw and realize what went wrong.

I've noticed that a number of times you're still scrambling with only 4-5 balls left. Of course that happens and we try to get through it as best we can. My point is that if you tighten up the areas I mentioned it will greatly reduce the occurrence. Your shot selection and delays in dealing with problems are also contributors but I don't have time right now to get into that. Good luck.
thank you very much for taking the time to analyse my game. I'll review my run with your comments in mind...

Shuddy

Diamond Dave’s babysitter
Silver Member
38 here. I think this is my high run, but I can't remember for sure. After I saw the break, I knew I was going to get into the 40s, and I think I jinxed myself. I missed the easiest shot imaginable!

Edit: yes, its my high run by one on a 9'. I had a 37 in 2017. I had a 44 in 2013 on a 7' Diamond.

I saw the time on the video before hitting play, and was like, “Holy crap!!! My body is ready!!!”

ronnie

Nice run from a very good friend of mine - called Jonas Kornmesser (Austria).
He has no account here, but i´m allowed to post his 14.1 run (112!) under my nick.

Also have a special look to minute 24 - 25 ;-)

Table: 9ft Brunswick Gold Crown III
Balls: Aramith

Video:

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Also have a special look to minute 24 - 25 ;-)
He obviously needs to borrow a swan neck rest from the snooker table. (y)

Alternatively, he might want to get some Russo interlocking bridge heads.

8cree

Reverse Engineer
Silver Member
28!

Navigated through 2 full racks last night for my new personal high run. Left myself a back cut to the bottom left corner and had to send the Cue one rail to the stack, well the Cue went where it was supposed and even had a decent break out but dogged the shot with an under cut. Went to sleep thinking about it and woke up thinking about it, ready to try to get to 3 racks now! Regular pro cut 9' Diamond, no vid, sorry.