Shane Van Boening aiming system -WOW!!

Lucky Loser

few players can hit the cue ball where they're "aiming"....even with no object ball

I've heard of Hal Houle from this forum, but never met him. That's a very strong statement, I would agree that the top 200 players connect the Cue Ball to the Object Ball in some way, shape or form, however, it would be difficult to imagine that they all do it the same way.

My biggest concern is that few players can hit the cue ball where they're "aiming"......even with no object ball on the table. Since I got a Break Rak I've been testing myself and other players and very few hit the cue ball exactly where they think more than 50% of the time, and that's for advanced players. Intermediate players hardly ever hit the cue ball where they're aiming.
Hello Mr. Wiley. I've heard good things about you from our mutual friend Mary in TX. I have not seen SVB's system, but heard only a little. In any event, I learned my Sighted Ferrule Aiming back in the 80's from my instructor. I went on to incorporate it in what I now call the Lucky Loser Composite Aiming System. I did have the sighted ferrule portion published recently, and since you have knowledge of SVB's system I was wonder how you think it compares? PoolDawg Academy has published me. Please like, subscribe, and share the YouTube video as well. thanks Todd. https://www.pooldawg.com/article/pooldawg-library/sighted-ferrule-aiming

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Funny, but in that Meucci video with Jim Rempe and Lori Jon Jones, Rempe nails a long shot using and demonstrating PE
He calls it Parallel Aiming - but it's a cut shot and the cue isn't parallel with the actual shot line; it's parallel with the center-to-center line. In other words, the cue is angled from the shot line as usual to compensate for squirt. This is why "parallel" is a confusing term to use.

P.S. Having the cue parallel with the center-to-center line works for this specific shot, but not all shots.

pj
chgo

parallel aiming.png
parallel2.png

Last edited:

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He calls it Parallel Aiming - but it's a cut shot and the cue isn't parallel with the actual shot line; it's parallel with the center-to-center line. In other words, the cue is angled from the shot line as usual to compensate for squirt. This is why "parallel" is a confusing term to use.

P.S. Having the cue parallel with the center-to-center line works for this specific shot, but not all shots.

pj
chgo

View attachment 644631View attachment 644632
Cool. Something to try.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Cool. Something to try.
The only thing it should teach you is that it’s a mistaken idea.

I wouldn’t waste my time with it, but have fun.

P.S. Looking closer I see his cue doesn’t really look “parallel” with anything. It rarely would be if he’s making shots.

pj
chgo

Last edited:

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The only thing it should teach you is that it’s a mistaken idea.

I wouldn’t waste my time with it, but have fun.

P.S. Looking closer I see his cue doesn’t really look “parallel” with anything. It rarely would be if he’s making shots.

pj
chgo
Yeah I know. Same thing with "level" cue. :D
Still, new toy is new.

RobMan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow! Reviving a nine year old post! Love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was looking for a good zombie pic but you know, they always come from one general vector and at the same time.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Sometimes dredging up outdated threads also dredges up outdated claims.
It needs a service pack.
One really whacko went nuts on me when I said Shane still used the contact point as reference.
Then his aiming dvd came out and he says he adjusts what part of the shaft to aim depending on the contact point.
I can only imagine the poor souls who are trying this system.
Knowing Shane is very privy about the stuff he knows (including racking ), I think he trolled the aiming junkies.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
May I ask what Busti/Efren vids? Sorry for my ignorance, was out of the pool scene for decades - genuine question. Thx
Let's ask Cookie. He might have some secret aiming video by Efren.
I'll try to find Busti's TAR video.

Last edited:

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let's ask Cookie. He might have some secret aiming video by Efren.
I'll try to find Busti's TAR video.
Efren teaches the use of centers and edges. Efren teaches the use of centers and edges Efren teaches the use of centers and edges