Shane Van Boening aiming system -WOW!!

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
There was an article a long time ago in Billiards Digest about how different pro players aim. I still have it somewhere. Most all of them said they just see the shot. Efren said something about centers and edges. Exactly what he meant isn't clear but he did mention it.
I think the article was in Pool & Billiard Magazine. It starts on page 116 of the July 1995 issue. For those of you who don't have a copy of that issue, here is a PDF republished with permission:

Here is another item from that page related to aiming that some might find useful:

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There was an article a long time ago in Billiards Digest about how different pro players aim. I still have it somewhere. Most all of them said they just see the shot. Efren said something about centers and edges. Exactly what he meant isn't clear but he did mention it.
Lol. A lady pro said Efren taught her centers and edges for aiming.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Here in the Aiming “Conversation” forum, where you’re supposed to “argue to your heart’s content”, making sense is a good start.

pj
chgo
Making sense is at the forefront of every argument and all who chime in think and know they're making sense. It's just that some who THINK they know and are making sense DON'T really KNOW because they have preconceived ideas as well as no friggin' clue how to perform it PHYSICALLY and VISUALLY. Pool is a game played physically and VISUALLY on a pool table with pool balls and a cue. Not with 2D drawings, comparing it to something else, and wordsmithing as has been done here for years on the Aiming "Conversation" forum.

Do you want to make sense? Go on the pool table with balls and cue. Set up various cut shots and shoot them while explaining exactly what you're seeing for the alignments on all shots using edges, centers, and target spots as taught by the "inventor" of a certain SYSTEM while VIDEOING it. Put your video online for information and critique by those who do know.

Don't want to do that? Back Peddle some more? Too bad and tough S*IT! YOU LOST A LONG TIME AGO which makes a LOT OF SENSE knowing what you know and don't know but THINK you know. It's always been your downfall.

phreaticus

Making sense is at the forefront of every argument and all who chime in think and know they're making sense. It's just that some who THINK they know and are making sense DON'T really KNOW because they have preconceived ideas as well as no friggin' clue how to perform it PHYSICALLY and VISUALLY. Pool is a game played physically and VISUALLY on a pool table with pool balls and a cue. Not with 2D drawings, comparing it to something else, and wordsmithing as has been done here for years on the Aiming "Conversation" forum.

Do you want to make sense? Go on the pool table with balls and cue. Set up various cut shots and shoot them while explaining exactly what you're seeing for the alignments on all shots using edges, centers, and target spots as taught by the "inventor" while VIDEOING it. Put your video online for information and critique by those who do know.

Don't want to do that? Back Peddle some more? Too bad and tough S*IT! YOU LOST A LONG TIME AGO!
Man, seems like you guys just can’t wait to pounce into these aiming threads to repeat stuff you guys have said to each other for what, 20+ years now? Impressive amounts of long lived passion, if nothing else.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Man, seems like you guys just can’t wait to pounce into these aiming threads to repeat stuff you guys have said to each other for what, 20+ years now? Impressive amounts of long lived passion, if nothing else.
At least we have a passion for an aiming system that we use all the time. The sickness is these guys who have argued for 20+ years against something they’ve never bothered to learn and have admitted they would never use. Now that’s sick wouldn’t you say

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It needs a service pack.
One really whacko went nuts on me when I said Shane still used the contact point as reference.
Then his aiming dvd came out and he says he adjusts what part of the shaft to aim depending on the contact point.
I can only imagine the poor souls who are trying this system.
Knowing Shane is very privy about the stuff he knows (including racking ), I think he trolled the aiming junkies.
Here you go Joey. Calling Shane a troll with his shaft aiming.

phreaticus

At least we have a passion for an aiming system that we use all the time. The sickness is these guys who have argued for 20+ years against something they’ve never bothered to learn and have admitted they would never use. Now that’s sick wouldn’t you say
I didn't mention anything about anyone being sick. It takes two to Tango. Not clear to me why anyone feels the need to debate or be "right" about such things when we all know that players of all calibers including top echelon - use wildly different approaches, very successfully, systems oriented and non. Surely by now most folks understand that high level play all comes down to having an intuitive feel for the game and there are many roads & tools to get there? Haven't really seen any new points made in any of these feeding frenzies, and I suspect 99% of the non combatants who read these threads - are collectively sighing, rolling eyes and moving on as you guys play the same old tennis match. But that's your guys prerogative of course also, whatever brings you peace & joy I suppose. ✌️

Last edited:

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Still waiting for you to explain why Shane is a troll when talking aiming but Busti and Efren aren’t
So, you lied about the aiming video.
You want a proof why I THINK Shane trolled the aiming junkies?
And, no I don't Think Busti trolled the aiming junkies

Last edited:

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So, you lied about the aiming video.
You want a proof why I THINK Shane trolled the aiming junkies?
And, no I don't Think Busti trolled the aiming junkies
I want an explanation as to why you have said on numerous occasions that Shane was trolling when talking about shaft aiming. You have no proof, that’s very obvious

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
I didn't mention anything about anyone being sick. It takes two to Tango. Not clear to me why anyone feels the need to debate or be "right" about such things when we all know that players of all calibers including top echelon - use wildly different approaches, very successfully, systems oriented and non. Surely by now most folks understand that high level play all comes down to having an intuitive feel for the game and there are many roads & tools to get there? Haven't really seen any new points made in any of these feeding frenzies, and I suspect 99% of the non combatants who read these threads - are collective sighing, rolling eyes and moving on as you guys play the same old tennis match. But that's your guys prerogative of course also, whatever brings you peace & joy I suppose. ✌️
You seem to be wanting to inch your way into the fray little by little. Soon you'll be a full-fledged member of the pro/anti camps or maybe just a self-appointed referee, or Judge, or Jury. Whatever brings you peace & joy.

phreaticus

You seem to be wanting to inch your way into the fray little by little. Soon you'll be a full-fledged member of the pro/anti camps or maybe just a self-appointed referee, or Judge, or Jury. Whatever brings you peace & joy.
I have less than zero interest in joining the fray in any capacity or "side". When there appears to be some interesting/intelligent discussion, I’m hip to learn and contribute a bit where/if I can. We're all on a journey with the balls. IMO, enough has been said about all this stuff, anyone wanting to investigate any of the approaches and systems, can simply do so. Those that don't see value or need, also just fine. Really not sure what all the fuss is about, and you guys all seem like jokers to me

Last edited: