Funny pic/gif thread...

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member

Spot on, I laughed! Then I remember getting a little annoyed when somebody came in to get a dollar's worth of gas when I had to pump it. Sad to think that twenty dollars worth is like a dollar or two now!

A side note, I stumbled on a full service gas station. The contrary old owner won't sell any gas with ethanol so I go there for the base for my chainsaw gas. Turning 13,000plus, I figure it needs good gas.

Hu

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
norway is a big oil producer, per capita probably bigger than most others except kuwait and qatar

And the much of the price of gas there, as well as in the other countries mentioned, is taxes.

Of course at @Chili Palmer left the remainder of the article out when he posted those prices…

Global Petrol Prices explains that, as a general rule, “richer countries have higher prices [for gasoline] while poorer countries and the countries that produce and export oil have significantly lower prices.” The U.S. is an exception to this rule, though, since it is economically advanced but has low gas prices compared to similar industrialized countries. This is due in large part to lower fuel taxes.

Many countries – particularly those in Europe – have higher taxes on fuel than those in the U.S., Patrick DeHaan with GasBuddy and University of Houston Energy Fellow Ed Hirs told VERIFY. European countries “tend to tax petroleum fuels at the highest level globally,” according to the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE).

The federal fuel tax in the U.S. is 18.3 cents per gallon and the total for state gasoline taxes averages about 31 cents, according to the U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA). That means the average American pays about 49 cents total in gas taxes, though some people might pay more if their state taxes are higher.

But, for countries in the European Union, the minimum tax on gasoline is significantly higher at $1.55 per gallon – and the gas tax in some countries is nearly double that amount.
The most recent data available from the DOE show gas taxes are higher than $3 per gallon in the Netherlands and Israel, and more than $2 per gallon in Germany, France, Belgium and Denmark.

The Netherlands has the highest gas tax in the European Union, followed by Italy, Finland and Greece, the Tax Foundation reports.

You’ll note, they didn’t even mention the taxation in Norway which is completely off the charts…

The point being, comparing those countries the United States in an effort to make the United States look as if the price we are currently paying isn’t excessive, is completely disingenuous.

Apples to oranges.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
And the much of the price of gas there, as well as in the other countries mentioned, is taxes.

Of course at @Chili Palmer left the remainder of the article out when he posted those prices…

Global Petrol Prices explains that, as a general rule, “richer countries have higher prices [for gasoline] while poorer countries and the countries that produce and export oil have significantly lower prices.” The U.S. is an exception to this rule, though, since it is economically advanced but has low gas prices compared to similar industrialized countries. This is due in large part to lower fuel taxes.

Many countries – particularly those in Europe – have higher taxes on fuel than those in the U.S., Patrick DeHaan with GasBuddy and University of Houston Energy Fellow Ed Hirs told VERIFY. European countries “tend to tax petroleum fuels at the highest level globally,” according to the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE).

The federal fuel tax in the U.S. is 18.3 cents per gallon and the total for state gasoline taxes averages about 31 cents, according to the U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA). That means the average American pays about 49 cents total in gas taxes, though some people might pay more if their state taxes are higher.

But, for countries in the European Union, the minimum tax on gasoline is significantly higher at $1.55 per gallon – and the gas tax in some countries is nearly double that amount.
The most recent data available from the DOE show gas taxes are higher than $3 per gallon in the Netherlands and Israel, and more than $2 per gallon in Germany, France, Belgium and Denmark.

The Netherlands has the highest gas tax in the European Union, followed by Italy, Finland and Greece, the Tax Foundation reports.

You’ll note, they didn’t even mention the taxation in Norway which is completely off the charts…

The point being, comparing those countries the United States in an effort to make the United States look as if the price we are currently paying isn’t excessive, is completely disingenuous.

Apples to oranges.
i apologize for not reading past posts but i think these type of discussions belong in NPR
they are not memes or gifs or funny
jmho
icbw

NevadaP

My friend started buying all Remington 700's with stainless barrels and the black synthetic stocks. He would sneak another into the gun safe now and then and since they all looked basically the same his wife couldn't tell one from the other or if one was new!

Hu
That worked for me until all the gun safes were full and there isn't room for another anywhere in the garage or the house. Now any new gun is obvious. Last time I bought one for me and one for the wife. That worked, but it won't work often.

Nine ... corner

BANNED
Silver Member
277173986_5052108038211944_1273740760628308978_n.jpg

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Spot on, I laughed! Then I remember getting a little annoyed when somebody came in to get a dollar's worth of gas when I had to pump it. Sad to think that twenty dollars worth is like a dollar or two now!

A side note, I stumbled on a full service gas station. The contrary old owner won't sell any gas with ethanol so I go there for the base for my chainsaw gas. Turning 13,000plus, I figure it needs good gas.

Hu

Lol, I remember some lady coming in and getting $1 at the full service pump. Gas was around $1 then and she drove a big Buick. Maybe she got home, maybe she didn’t.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Apples to oranges.

That’s because I’m not an idiot and trying to start a political thread out of the funny thread 😉

mrshifty

Registered
Geeze, some experts that don't know diddly! I never said I was cutting to that, I said I used those numbers to do the math. As for mattering one of my last projects in the sheet metal shop, I cut material for a storage tank 3000' around and the pipes going around the outside of it. For the math geeks, how high will a pipe be in the air if it goes around the world at the equator and you add one extra twenty feet long joint of pipe? Surely an extra twenty feet at the equator wouldn't matter much would it?

Since there is talk of tolerances, that is one of the first things I straightened out when I was hired at the local nuke to check all drawings from the drafting department except my own. One of the first drawings I saw was a bracket for a pipe hanger, dimensioned to four decimal places! It is debatable what tolerances are when none are listed and a friend was an expert witness in a case arguing just that. However, rule of thumb is one of the last digit so somebody could have somewhat reasonably cut those brackets to one/ten-thousandth of an inch and charged a ton for them at cost plus! A half inch tolerance was plenty tight for those brackets.

Working for the R&D company on the project before going to the nuke we built several versions of a roughly one cubic inch freon compressor. There dimensions were to a tenth as we commonly called ten-thousandths and the tolerances were one fourth that! Fun times but when I spent some time cutting in the neighboring short run production machine shop there were no tolerances on the drawings. Without thinking I asked him if a few tenths were good. He said that would be a bit sloppy and I realized my error. A few thousandths, even a hundredth was OK. Tenths of an inch would be getting sloppy. It was kinda fun hacking out parts after having to reject components because somebody polished one or made an extra spring pass.

To give some idea how tough it is dealing to tenths, I sent a request for bids to forty machine shops. Only two said they could do the job when I just told them verbally that components outside tolerances would be rejected. When I sent them drawings with the same statement on them the last two quickly rejected my request. I was in Louisiana and ended up doing business with a shop on the east coast and one on the west coast.

In my many positions over the years I have ran sheet metal fab shops, metal fab shops, and machine shops. As already obvious, I have been the liaison with and over machine and specialty shops. I have also cut to dimensions that couldn't be measured, they had to be gaged at a certain temperature. Micro-machining before NC was fun but it was a good way to get gray hair or bald in a hurry!

Design work in general was a blast. I got paid for staring out the window. Four days a week nobody could tell if I was working my ass off or thinking about the fishing trip that weekend. Friday after lunch there was no doubt. If there wasn't an emergency to deal with I was planning the stops on my weekend fishing trips. I got my bosses so well trained they would apologize if they brought me something to deal with on a Friday afternoon!

Hu
No math, just a guess. A little over 3 feet. How close am I?

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
No math, just a guess. A little over 3 feet. How close am I?

How close? Pretty damn! I'd call that an educated guess. Most folks guess a lot less than an inch. There isn't nearly the margin for error that some people think exists.

Lol, I remember some lady coming in and getting $1 at the full service pump. Gas was around $1 then and she drove a big Buick. Maybe she got home, maybe she didn’t.

We kept up with the biggest sale ever in a car at a Mobil station. A big Pontiac ran out of gas as it turned in the station. Filled it up then jumped up and down on the bumper to pack more in! The owner finally had enough and made us quit. A new record, 26.9 gallons of premium, came to $9.35!

I used to brag about my Suburban. I got over six hundred miles to the tankful. Mine was a two wheel drive with a 350 engine. Some came equipped with four wheel drive and a 454. You could watch the gas gage falling as you drove. Before the gubment regulated the size of gas tanks mine had a 49 gallon tank from the factory. I didn't always mention that little detail when bragging about how far I went on a tank of gas. It really was very nice traveling.

Hu

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How close? Pretty damn! I'd call that an educated guess. Most folks guess a lot less than an inch. There isn't nearly the margin for error that some people think exists.

We kept up with the biggest sale ever in a car at a Mobil station. A big Pontiac ran out of gas as it turned in the station. Filled it up then jumped up and down on the bumper to pack more in! The owner finally had enough and made us quit. A new record, 26.9 gallons of premium, came to $9.35!

I used to brag about my Suburban. I got over six hundred miles to the tankful. Mine was a two wheel drive with a 350 engine. Some came equipped with four wheel drive and a 454. You could watch the gas gage falling as you drove. Before the gubment regulated the size of gas tanks mine had a 49 gallon tank from the factory. I didn't always mention that little detail when bragging about how far I went on a tank of gas. It really was very nice traveling.

Hu

I don't remember the largest fill-up, I do remember filling up a large car once, I can't remember the make but the filler was in the back of the car (behind the plate) and when I was done I tried leaning over and reading the pump and I apparently misread it and missed the 2 in the front. I think I charged them 9 something when it was actually 29 something! Whoops.. the boss wasn't happy..

LOL, the guy who got me into pool has been driving a 'burb for most of his life. His dad always had one, his brother has them, and my friend has had a few.

NevadaP

Hu
I had a couple of those Suburbans with 454 gas engines in the 90's. 3/4 ton chasis, 4WD, really good on the highway and turns, stiff suspension. No idea what my gas mileage was, so obviously it was not a concern. Just ordered a GMC 2500 HD 4WD with 6.6L gasoline. Dealer offered to 'let me off the hook' and keep it on the lot when it gets here. No way.