Best Player that Quit Early on

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Jimmy Welch(?) Was a very strong player who quit young and became a preacher.
I'm guessing you are referring to Jimmy Wetch, a rock-solid player of the late 1990's. He won a PBT event and, if memory serves, counted US Open 9-ball champion Reed Pierce as his closest friend on the tour.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm guessing you are referring to Jimmy Wetch, a rock-solid player of the late 1990's. He won a PBT event and, if memory serves, counted US Open 9-ball champion Reed Pierce as his closest friend on the tour.
No Jimmy Welch , maybe a cousin to Tony Watson. I only remember he was a cousin to some known player.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Somewhere I remember listening to an inter view with Ronnie Allen where he heaped serious praise on Worst.
In his day, Worst was about as good as anybody at pool, possibly excepting Lassiter. He was world three cushion champion, too. Anyone that doesn't heap serious praise on Worst is, quite simply, uninformed.

Reactions: bbb

Fair Jer

In his day, Worst was about as good as anybody at pool, possibly excepting Lassiter. He was world three cushion champion, too. Anyone that doesn't heap serious praise on Worst is, quite simply, uninformed.
The Ronnie Allen "audio tales"on youtube are worth a listen in my opinion,he talks about Worst coming to Miami, walking in the pool room and beating Lassiter two sets 11-10 11-9,among several others.

Reactions: sjm

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member

Stu--other than the few clips that survive on Youtube, are you aware of any good film of Worst in actual play? Thanks.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Stu--other than the few clips that survive on Youtube, are you aware of any good film of Worst in actual play? Thanks.
Sad to say no. Harold, who died in the mid-1960s, predated the video taping of matches. He may have played in the odd televised match, but I couldn't say which one(s), nor could I say for sure that such matches have been saved for posterity.

raistlinsdragon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sad to say no. Harold, who died in the mid-1960s, predated the video taping of matches. He may have played in the odd televised match, but I couldn't say which one(s), nor could I say for sure that such matches have been saved for posterity.
Pool war web site had a dvd of the Shorty Worst match.

Reactions: sjm

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here are some very brief shots from a poorly preserved video. Likely Wide World of Sports.

axejunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In a nutshell, Bonnie's dad put so much pressure on her, I think she began to hate the game. She went back to school, got her degree and is doing good last I heard.
So much priceless knowledge in this thread. I read the whole thing last night.

An old timer here in Florida told me about two girls who played really well and whose Dad was really hard on them, so much that it ruined their joy of playing, so it must have been the Hoffmans.

BobTfromIL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Has anybody mentioned Mike DeChaine, know he might not be the most popular player but still a pretty good talent.