Practice Halfball Shots Using Fractional Aiming With a Road Map

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
I see where you're going with this, but it doesn't quite work out that way because you're seeing it from a perfectly straight cue to that point and your nose right over the cue. We're seeing it from a different position with the eyes and head offset and then coming into it with an angled cue or offset and then pivoting to angled.

Your brain is too locked into the straight lines and geometry. Mine doesn't see things that way any longer especially when there's a pivot involved. Remember, I know what you're doing and what you see because I've been there. You continue to operate from an "inside the lines" math way of doing it. What we do is so outside the box, it doesn't even make sense to you which precludes getting any deeper involved. It's automatically "F**K THAT! It can't possibly work."

I know you've taken a deep interest in how the brain works. But you should probably dig deeper into how it works with a
different way of THINKING. It's called LATERAL THINKING.
GOOGLE - LATERAL THINKING

Hal Houle was without a doubt the greatest LATERAL THINKER in history when it came to POOL AIMING SYSTEMS! He developed over 20 aiming systems for pool and each one was way OUTSIDE THE BOX VISUALLY and in PERFORMANCE.

None of them were related to math and geometry. Just very different ways of seeing the two balls, CB and OB interacting with each other from a variety of perspectives as well as cue tip placements and pivots.

You're not following me. I don't care how you're viewing your final solution, or how I or anyone else is viewing their final solution. It doesn't matter. It doesn't matter if it's from an offset across the cue perspective or from a straightforward down the cue noser perspective.

All I'm saying is paying attention to what the shot looks like from the cb address position provides your mind with more visual data pertaining to the shot. And the more we do it, the more we actually pay attention to what the final solution looks like from cb address, the more equipped we are to accurately determine whether or not our alignment process has our body and stroke in tune with what we're seeing.

Put it this way... If a CTE player uses a 15 inside and sweeps or pivots to ccb, but then realizes (or feels) that they're not quite aligned for the shot, it's due to the fact that they've done it enough times to know that what they are seeing now doesn't look right in accordance to how their body is positioned, or how their cue is positioned. So they stand up and repeat the steps to get it right.

The same visual and physical awareness occurs with all aiming methods if the player actually pays attention to what the shot looks like when down on the cb. I'm not knocking any system, and not knocking Hal Houle. And I certainly understand lateral thinking. That's how I was able to remold the old 5-lines quarter fractional system (one of Stan Shuffett's favorite aiming systems), into a fractional aiming system that is far less reliant on guesswork or player experience. Granted, Poolology isn't as creative as some of Hal Houle's stuff, but it is the result of lateral thinking.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
You're not following me. I don't care how you're viewing your final solution, or how I or anyone else is viewing their final solution. It doesn't matter. It doesn't matter if it's from an offset across the cue perspective or from a straightforward down the cue noser perspective.

All I'm saying is paying attention to what the shot looks like from the cb address position provides your mind with more visual data pertaining to the shot. And the more we do it, the more we actually pay attention to what the final solution looks like from cb address, the more equipped we are to accurately determine whether or not our alignment process has our body and stroke in tune with what we're seeing.
The way I see it isn't at the CB address position down on the ball. It's seen from a standing position. What we see in the beginning while upright is what produces our alignment to get it all in tune by dropping into it.

And if it's not registering, you're not following me. And at this point, I don't care. Do your thing the way you see fit doing it and I'll certainly be doing mine the same way I've done it for years now. Trust me when I say this, we are NOT specifically seeing the same things, coming to the same conclusions, or having cues aiming in the same direction to make a variety of shots.

FINI

Last edited:

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
The way I see it isn't at the CB address position down on the ball. It's seen from a standing position. What we see in the beginning while upright is what produces our alignment to get it all in tune by dropping into it.

And if it's not registering, you're not following me. And at this point, I don't care.

Yes, I agree 100%...the aiming is done from a standing position.

For me that means I determine the final aiming solution while looking at the shot from a standing position. Then I step into that solution and bring my cue into it to address the cb. If it all looks and feels right from there, then I'm good to go.

For you that means you know how to look at the balls from a unique perspective that allows you to align your body in order to come down and arrive at the final aiming solution. But, based on Stan's words, the final solution is when you pivot or sweep to ccb. If so, that isn't something you see from a standing position. It's something you arrive at through your visual process and physical alignment.

But I'm with you. I don't really care. We can think whatever we want to think, but all that really matters is that we use what works for us.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
here is a question for both of you (brian/spidey)
if we start with a known shot ie reinforcers on the table so the cue ball and object ball are in fixed repeatable positions
and i ask both of you to do your thing and get down to shoot
you both are at address now and have not pulled the trigger
now
i have an overhead camera and take a picture of both of you separately at address
will i be able to superimpose the picture and will the cues line of aim be identical?

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
if we start with a known shot ie reinforcers on the table so the cue ball and object ball are in fixed repeatable positions
now
i have an overhead camera and take a picture of both of you separately at address
will i be able to superimpose the picture and will the cues line of aim be identical?
I think it would be hard to tell because if it's directly overhead, his cue alignment would be skewed from
the glare off his shiny bald head. :ROFLMAO: :cool:

I'm pretty sure our body position and angle, head position over the cue along with the eyes would definitely
be different. But that can happen even when two players use the exact same method of aiming.

Last edited:

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
now

If we have our cue on line to pocket the ball, and we each have a stroke that follows that line, then the our cues would be on the same line.

The difference would not be seen in an overhead camera shot, because the difference isn't in the cue positions. The difference is in our eyes, where we're looking. We'd be looking at different things, but our cues would have to be online to pocket the ball.

Reactions: bbb

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
I think it would be hard to tell because if it's directly overhead, his cue alignment would be skewed from
the glare off his shiny bald head. :ROFLMAO: :cool:

I'm pretty sure our body position and angle, head position over the cue along with the eyes would definitely
be different. But that can happen even when two players use the exact same method of aiming.

Bald head? Lol. Have you seen my head? Lmao.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Visual tool? Lol uh.....my eyes.

You look at a shot and automatically think, "15 inside", or "30 inside", or whatever. That knowledge is based on your visual experience - the fact that you've done it enough times to automatically know it when you see it.

It's no different with me. No mystery. I look at a shot with my eyes, just like you but from a slightly different perspective. Based on my visual experience, what I see automatically tells me to aim HERE, or THERE, referencing center cb and a point on or near the ob itself. The here or there might be half a tip from straight in, or a quarter tip thicker than a halfball aim.

My visual tools are the same as yours - eyes and experience. We just look at different things. No biggie to me. I don't care what you look at. If it works for you, then I'm cool with it.
Don't say "visual experience." Say "visual intelligence" like Stan does and he'll immediately understand. He must because he doesn't jump down Stan's throat when he says it.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't say "visual experience." Say "visual intelligence" like Stan does and he'll immediately understand. He must because he doesn't jump down Stan's throat when he says it.
It’s Stan that has shown and taught us great visual intelligence that allows for the best visual experience. But you have never understood that. Why didn’t you just stay out of there conversation. Posters were finally getting along.

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
While i m gettin myself out of the well known *cyber war about aiming*- I ll get my 2 cents about the "half-ball topic" from my expirience.

As my eyes gettin worse and worse- i tried to compensate it however- with which method ever, to still have some fun at the table. And ofc while instructing.

I was lucky and fortunate enough, to benefit from several people on this forum over the years. Dave Segal for example opened my eyes for some real quality stuff (especially about pivots when using the 90/90 system). Later on also Sixpack helped me a lot, to make 90/90 really work much better for me- great and super knowledged guy as well. Ekkes and his See System- well, it works well if you put in the time. Great stuff- and Ekkes is a treasure of knowledge as well.

The Half Ball Stuff from Brian is (for me) fantastic- expecially the centerline stuff ( the famous 40 :p ). Love it to show this sometimes other ppl/students. A nice weapon/tool as soon as you re under pressure.

I could write about almost every discussed system here positively. But imo the problem is, that some guys are so stubborn and hard-headed that they just don t want to allow "the other bad dark side" to breath. Sad but true.

As I said- i learnt a lot here from numerous people. And it hurts me how many ppl left because of this stupid online flame wars.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
now
I thought more about this and here's what I came up with: Yes...No...Maybe...It Depends...

So, it's back at ya. What are the different scenarios that might not make it the same? Put your thinking cap on.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I thought more about this and here's what I came up with: Yes...No...Maybe...It Depends...

So, it's back at ya. What are the different scenarios that might not make it the same? Put your thinking cap on.
how about giving me a real answer?
you are the expert and know way more about cte than me

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
how about giving me a real answer?
you are the expert and know way more about cte than me
This isn't just about CTE. It's about any aiming system and how shots are aimed and played with multiple other balls on the table for moving the CB around. That's real pool.
Your scenario is one ball only for each. I'm bringing in the "it depends". Brian answered it pretty well.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
This isn't just about CTE. It's about any aiming system and how shots are aimed and played with multiple other balls on the table for moving the CB around. That's real pool.
Your scenario is one ball only for each. I'm bringing in the "it depends". Brian answered it pretty well.
what does it depend on?

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
what does it depend on?
Spin, English. There's a completely different setup when someone is aiming and then shifting parallel for English vs. pivoting with an angled cue, preset or dynamic. The two cues superimposed from above wouldn't even be close at the finish.

Last edited:

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
now

Larry's question is in bold. But it does need some clarification. Is english being used? If so, my answer is...."no, maybe, or it depends". The cues may or may not be on same line. If it's a center ball hit, my answer is yes, the cues would have to be on the same line.

It shouldn't matter what aiming method any of us use. Let's say two players shoot the exact same shot, and neither player has a wonky stroke. They each do their aiming (however they do it), and now both players are at cb address (cue is pointed at ccb or at least the vertical centerline of the cb).

The two cues, if both players are aimed correctly and accurately, should definitely be on the same line of aim through the cb. Their stance, head position and body alignment may be different, and what they're looking at may also be different. But in order for both players to pocket the ball, their cues would have to be delivered along the same line (unless one of the players has a wonky stroke or an odd cb address, like addressing every shot with low left but on the final delivery straightens it out to hit center cb).

Last edited:

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
My question was for no english
I should have clarified it
Because english brings in too many variables
Even the same player using the same methods but 2 very different shafts the cues wouldnt line up because the deflection correction would be different
So the aim line would be different

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Larry's question is in bold. But it does need some clarification. Is english being used? If so, my answer is...."no, maybe, or it depends". The cues may or may not be on same line. If it's a center ball hit, my answer is yes, the cues would have to be on the same line.

It shouldn't matter what aiming method any of us use. Let's say two players shoot the exact same shot, and neither player has a wonky stroke. They each do their aiming (however they do it), and now both players are at cb address (cue is pointed at ccb or at least the vertical centerline of the cb).

The two cues, if both players are aimed correctly and accurately, should definitely be on the same line of aim through the cb. Their stance, head position and body alignment may be different, and what they're looking at may also be different. But in order for both players to pocket the ball, their cues would have to be delivered along the same line (unless one of the players has a wonky stroke or an odd cb address, like addressing every shot with low left but on the final delivery straightens it out to hit center cb).
How many times in your lifetime of playing pool have you missed a dead straight in shot that made you want kick yourself in the ass? More than you'd like to think? I know I have. It's infuriating and embarrassing. Distance between the two balls as well as distance from the pocket can also play a role along with CB speed. And then there's the straightness of backstroke and forward stroke.

That having been said, I really don't disagree with anything you said. With CTE Pro1 you do see things with the eyes and angle of them differently than just walking straight in with the chin and nose directly on top of the cue lining up center to center.
It's kind of a cross check but the cue and angle are in the same place. (maybe) Even though one "thinks" they're aiming straight, they might not be. Does that make sense?

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
How many times in your lifetime of playing pool have you missed a dead straight in shot that made you want kick yourself in the ass? More than you'd like to think? I know I have. It's infuriating and embarrassing. Distance between the two balls as well as distance from the pocket can also play a role along with CB speed. And then there's the straightness of backstroke and forward stroke.

That having been said, I really don't disagree with anything you said. With CTE Pro1 you do see things with the eyes and angle of them differently than just walking straight in with the chin and nose directly on top of the cue lining up center to center.
It's kind of a cross check but the cue and angle are in the same place. (maybe) Even though one "thinks" they're aiming straight, they might not be. Does that make sense?

Yep, we can certainly miss shots that look and feel like we're 100% aimed and lined up correctly to make. And those types of misses kick our confidence right in the nuts, compromising the integrity of everything we think we know. And this often sends our game straight to shit town.

The trick is to not overanalyze the miss. Tell yourself it was lack of focus or lack or attention, and then drop it. From then on just make sure you're doing everything you're supposed to do, taking nothing for granted and staying down on every shot.

I read a study once that showed how facial expressions alter state of mind and cause poor performance. A player misses a shot and immediately makes a "WTF!" face. The muscles in the face send signals to the brain saying, "Get pissed! Increase adrenaline! Get those stress hormones flowing! Now! Now! Now!" This response isn't good for performance, not with things that require fine-tuned motor skills. I am reminded of this study everytime I watch an Efren Reyes match and he misses or makes a mistake. 99% of the time, he smiles.