D Appleton is against pivoting for spin ?

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
I think there’s real harm in teaching quick fixes as substitutes for fundamentals. A quick fix might fix a particular problem in the short term, but because they’re “outside the fundamentals box” they tend to limit or slow overall long term development. An “instructor” should know this.

pj
chgo
I've instructed all levels from beginner to pro, and can tell you that these alternative strokes are real strokes--I've invited you to test them.

I've had students who are otherwise strong players who've struggled with draw for 40 years! I think the quick fix--which to them is a fix after 40 YEARS, and then works forever going forward, is fine.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Pros "use" physics every time they play, but rarely know enough to talk about it - kinda like you and Spidey (except for the "pros" part).

pj
chgo
They also could give a rat's ass to know or talk about it. If they did, they'd be nothing more than a hack player like you. Cookie and I know what's important for making balls, a lot of them. Cookie is a better player than I am and finished in the top 10 and 15 at the US Amateur championship. What have you EVER done in pool? I've made an offer to play you in person for some cash.
You double talked and tried laughing it off which turned into being a big mouth chicken shit wordsmith which you've been your entire life. I'll come to you. How's the coffee at the Treehouse Cat Cafe?

Last edited:

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With you, who knows? You might be hiding something. But whatever it is would only be a different colored crayon for your "stay inside the lines" coloring book.
Maybe you're both right. Physics is physics and what PJ says about that is true, but not everybody is the same mentally and physically. Some players might HAVE TO elevate the cue and do some weird swoop or whatever simply because they can't do it the traditional way. Fixed elbow is like that. Some can't do it no matter what so they accomplish a good stroke some other way.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Maybe you're both right. Physics is physics and what PJ says about that is true, but not everybody is the same mentally and physically. Some players might HAVE TO elevate the cue and do some weird swoop or whatever simply because they can't do it the traditional way. Fixed elbow is like that. Some can't do it no matter what so they accomplish a good stroke some other way.
And I'd have to add you as being right. There's also a lot of things out there visually for seeing the balls and matching them up to make shots easier and at a higher success rate that doesn't compute with the closed one-track mind. Same with how to add spin. When you have players like Efren, Busti, Earl, and a good number of others from years past as well as currently, they play with a lot of artistry that doesn't fit into the boring ass paint by the numbers/stay inside the lines of science. They really are fascinating artists and a joy to watch.
Not to speak of the fact that they're absolute killers at the table who have been able to bury everyone else out there playing them.

Last edited:

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And I'd have to add you as being right. There's also a lot of things out there visually for seeing the balls and matching them up to make shots easier and at a higher success rate that doesn't compute with the closed one-track mind. Same with how to add spin. When you have players like Efren, Busti, Earl, and a good number of others from years past as well as currently, they play with a lot of artistry that doesn't fit into the boring ass paint by the numbers/stay inside the lines of science. They really are fascinating artists and a joy to watch.
Not to speak of the fact that they're absolute killers at the table who have been able to bury everyone else out there playing them.
Of course this is not a debate particular to billiards. "Cookie cutter" vs "natural" is an issue across many sports. The common thing is that when it comes to the critical point like contacting a ball with a cue/racquet/bat both methods put the player in the same spot. Personally, I think recreational players benefit more from a cookie cutter approach that can be modified as needed as the player improves. OTOH, I'm not an instructor so I'm guessing.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Of course this is not a debate particular to billiards. "Cookie cutter" vs "natural" is an issue across many sports. The common thing is that when it comes to the critical point like contacting a ball with a cue/racquet/bat both methods put the player in the same spot.
Not necessarily. And neither is the visual linking between CB and OB. Hence, all the different aiming systems invented. Even the contact points can be different on CB and OB for the same shot if someone is using a lot of english to purposely "throw" the ball in. Is physics/geometry involved in the video below? Absolutely! Try explaining it though and putting it into 2D drawings.

Personally, I think recreational players benefit more from a cookie cutter approach that can be modified as needed as the player improves. OTOH, I'm not an instructor so I'm guessing.
I'd say you guessed it right on the money. But the longer one plays, gets much better, and has a curiosity for how things can be done differently from the cookie cutter paint by the numbers approach, it's definitely out there. I chose to move on and so have others. Just don't open the big all-knowing yap and tell me what I'm doing is goofball wrong and I don't know right from wrong. Especially when I know a royal ass stomping could occur from the way I'm doing it on the all-knowing cookie cutters.

Last edited:

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd say you guessed it right on the money. But the longer one plays, gets much better, and has a curiosity for how things can be done differently from the cookie cutter paint by the numbers approach, it's definitely out there. I chose to move on and so have others. Just don't open the big all-knowing yap and tell me what I'm doing is goofball wrong and I don't know right from wrong. Especially when I know a royal ass stomping could occur from the way I'm doing it on the all-knowing cookie cutters.
I think the real issue has been the explanation of what is actually happening when someone uses CTE. If you play better with that method then more power to you.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
I think the real issue has been the explanation of what is actually happening when someone uses CTE. If you play better with that method then more power to you.
The bottom line explanation of what is ACTUALLY HAPPENING when someone uses CTE that knows how to use CTE is, BALLS GO IN! Isn't that what pool is about?

I have never seen you post like you have today. Are you OK? It is definitely refreshing. (Unless it's a setup):sneaky:

Last edited:

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
So knowledge and skill are incompatible? I can see why somebody with only one of those would want to believe that.

pj
chgo
25 years of being a total idiot know it all and still going strong at 75 years of age. The SCOURGE of every pool forum in existence since 1997. What a miserable life!

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pros "use" physics every time they play, but rarely know enough to talk about it - kinda like you and Spidey (except for the "pros" part).

pj
chgo
Have you ever not shot a shot in a match at the table because your brain said you can't possibly do it that way because of Physics?

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's more the understanding of the explanations of CTE that gets in the way. But this discussion doesn't belong here.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Have you ever not shot a shot in a match at the table because your brain said you can't possibly do it that way because of Physics?
If a shot is possible, it's possible because of physics, not in spite of it.

pj <- Physics (capitalized or not) isn't just another word for fundamentals
chgo

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
i havent kept up with all the posts
but spidey you got me curious
how does allen hopkins aim?

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
i havent kept up with all the posts
but spidey you got me curious
how does allen hopkins aim?
Extremely accurate!! We play one pocket. I don't focus on how he aims. What blows me away is his touch and thought
processes to hide the CB behind other balls to the point where I have no way out and nothing to shoot at. And he does it
over and over again while laughing is ass off.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Extremely accurate!! We play one pocket. I don't focus on how he aims. What blows me away is his touch and thought
processes to hide the CB behind other balls to the point where I have no way out and nothing to shoot at. And he does it
over and over again while laughing is ass off.
He was a champion so it doesnt surprise me how well you describe how well he can still play
I would love to watch him shoot those onepocket finesse shots with his style of stroke
You are very lucky to get that experience
Thanks for the reply spidey
👍

Last edited:

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
If a shot is possible, it's possible because of physics, not in spite of it.

pj <- Physics (capitalized or not) isn't just another word for fundamentals
chgo
Fundamentals have to do with the grip on the cue, stance, head/eyes/body alignment, AIMING and coordination to perform it. Blind people can't play pool because they can't SEE to AIM. It's physical just like all sports.

When pool was first invented and all throughout the depression, men flocked to pool rooms because there was nothing else to do. They knew absolutely zippity do da about physics and never did even though it was present. Knowledge of physics and geometry as taught in books and classrooms had nothing, absolutely nothing to do with the success and caliber of a player all
throughout history from then to now. Some of the best players in the history of pool weren't very bright intellectually to begin with. Actually, quite dense and even drunkards.

Did physics take place? Yes. But totally unnecessary to learn and know from studying science in books and classrooms and then preaching it as you do. You do it to put yourself on a higher pedestal due to your inadequacies in the actual physical performance of it. It's all you have going for you along with a few nut huggers all throughout the last 25 years that echo your babble.

This...TOTALLY UNNECESSARY To Play Good Pool! https://www.real-world-physics-problems.com/physics-of-billiards.html#:~:text=The physics behind billiards (or,conserved before and after impact.

This...TOTALLY UNNECESSARY To Play Good Pool! https://www.amazon.com/Science-Pocket-Billiards-Jack-Koehler/dp/0997622717/ref=sr_1_11?crid=2I90G4AJ05XA1&keywords=pool+and+billiards+books&qid=1664019040&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIzLjE4IiwicXNhIjoiMi41OSIsInFzcCI6IjAuMDAifQ==&sprefix=pool+and+billia,aps,88&sr=8-11

Last edited: