Brunswick table?

TrxR

Anyone know anything about brunswick carom tables? The add says it's 6x12.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220917-173640_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20220917-173640_Facebook.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 100

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
I'm not that knowledgeable, but I never heard of a 6x12, 3 cushion table. It might of been a conversion?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm not that knowledgeable, but I never heard of a 6x12, 3 cushion table. It might of been a conversion?
I have never heard of a carom table that large either. I can't imagine anyone converting a snooker table to carom unless they wanted to trap strangers. The picture looks like a standard 5x10 from the 1930s. Be nice to see the legs.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
I think I recall seeing a very old catalog of that era with a 12ft Brunswick Carom once.

But I could be wrong

TrxR

We're the brunswicks any good? I thought I seen somewhere they were a subpar carom table?

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Compared to anything modern Pretty much any table that's 100yrs old will be sub par in terms of playing conditions

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Compared to anything modern Pretty much any table that's 100yrs old will be sub par in terms of playing conditions
True, but Hoppe seems to have played the 9 cushion lag shot in exhibitions so the cloth and cushions must have been close to modern standards. Also note that Ceulemans set his record average in Las Vegas in 1978 on unheated Brunswicks.

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We're the brunswicks any good? I thought I seen somewhere they were a subpar carom table?

At the senior center I used to play at we had one nice heated Gabriel table that got enough use that there was a fair amount of waiting to play. They also had 3 5x10 Brunswick snooker tables, only one of which was used much. Turns out one of the Brunswick tables was a "convertible" that originally came with a set of snooker rails and a set of carom rails. We poked around and found the carom rails. We approached management and to make a long story short, the 3C players passed the hat to pay for the conversion and management let us do it. Since it was going to be unheated we decided to cover it with Royal Pro. So for a couple of years (we ended up replacing it when someone donated a nice heated table to the center a couple of years later) we had it side by side with the Gabriel. None of us, other than @12squared, Dave Gross, were very good, but I'd say we found it a very acceptable option. I'd love to have such a table within easy driving distance, since now the nearest 3c table is an hour away. My one regret about leaving Greeley was losing access to those tables.

I learned to play at at an old place in San Bernardino called the Pool Palace. They had 2 old Brunswick carom tables, but I don't know if the cloth ot rubber had ever been changed. But I was just starting out so I didn't know any better.

Reactions: bbb

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If they're set up properly, they play OK especially if its one of the higher end tables with jumbo legs and compound rails.
Its not uncommon for these old tables to have warped rails, but that can be dealt with using clamps and paying close attention.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
True, but Hoppe seems to have played the 9 cushion lag shot in exhibitions so the cloth and cushions must have been close to modern standards. Also note that Ceulemans set his record average in Las Vegas in 1978 on unheated Brunswicks.
Not taking anything away from the accomplishment but in Vegas heating a table has almost no effect to absolutely no effect. The air is so dry it’s the same 320 days a year.

Best Billiards had heated tables from Italy. Ermilin (spelled very wrong) or something they were called. Best 3C tables I’ve ever seen by a lot. Mike Massey agreed. They were heated. Made no difference if they were on or off. Ball rolled as long and the same.

Best
Fatboy😃

Island Drive

Silver Member
At the senior center I used to play at we had one nice heated Gabriel table that got enough use that there was a fair amount of waiting to play. They also had 3 5x10 Brunswick snooker tables, only one of which was used much. Turns out one of the Brunswick tables was a "convertible" that originally came with a set of snooker rails and a set of carom rails. We poked around and found the carom rails. We approached management and to make a long story short, the 3C players passed the hat to pay for the conversion and management let us do it. Since it was going to be unheated we decided to cover it with Royal Pro. So for a couple of years (we ended up replacing it when someone donated a nice heated table to the center a couple of years later) we had it side by side with the Gabriel. None of us, other than @12squared, Dave Gross, were very good, but I'd say we found it a very acceptable option. I'd love to have such a table within easy driving distance, since now the nearest 3c table is an hour away. My one regret about leaving Greeley was losing access to those tables.

I learned to play at at an old place in San Bernardino called the Pool Palace. They had 2 old Brunswick carom tables, but I don't know if the cloth ot rubber had ever been changed. But I was just starting out so I didn't know any better.
Yrs ago, and I'm pretty sure Helfert went there.
Lou Butera had a 5x10 Brunswick? table at this retail shop with three different sets of rails. They all could be removed and replaced in a manner of minutes. This was probably around 1978 ish give or take....he was asking I think 25K at that time.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yrs ago, and I'm pretty sure Helfert went there.
Lou Butera had a 5x10 Brunswick? table at this retail shop with three different sets of rails. They all could be removed and replaced in a manner of minutes. This was probably around 1978 ish give or take....he was asking I think 25K at that time.
I hope Jay chimes in then.

I'd like to hear if 'matter of minutes' is 15 or 90!

New or olde table, that's a lot of nuts that have a (admittedly pretty fuzzy) torque spec.

Island Drive

Silver Member
They were rails that had latches, similar too some of the older windows. They tightened as they were latched down. 15 minutes is about right. NOT 90, Lou showed me the rail sets. I think it was a Brunswick/or National or?.... more of a table for the rich/famous who wanted everything, during the Steve McQueen years/laetrile.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I hope Jay chimes in then.

I'd like to hear if 'matter of minutes' is 15 or 90!

New or olde table, that's a lot of nuts that have a (admittedly pretty fuzzy) torque spec.
Gabriels or Chevillotte used to offer a table that had changeable rails that were held on by strong magnets. I think they had all three kinds of cushions. Changing the rails took about five minutes.

kilby

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In my youth, my local barbershop had an old 5x10 Brunswick that had three sets of rails, pool, carom, and (wait for it) one-pocket! The one-pocket setup had only two pockets at the foot corners. I think the sets were original, they looked it. They also had a cribbage board to put on the end of the table -- I got to play there a few times, but not on the one-pocket setup, didn't know that game at the time (9 or 10 years old).

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member
In 1983, I played in a tournament at, 'State & Madison Billiards in Rockford, IL.
The room had 5 'Perfectly matched Brunswick 5'x10' 3C 'Arcade' tables. The BEST tables I ever played on! UNHEATED tables.
The cloth was new, 'Simonis Reulant'/K43 rubber/New Aramith balls.
One of the Mid-West Top Pool/3C players there was, George Paweilski from Wisconsin.
George had a Big Powerful stroke. He and I were testing getting 9 rails on the tables. Wasn't difficult at all.
The tables were playing about 1-1.5 diamonds long. With this being noticed I figured I would be able to catch the 9th cushion on the 'Short' rail, thus being able to go for '12 Cushions!' Which I did after about 8-9 attempts! I left George there trying to get the short 9th rail.

BTW, I won that 32 player event undefeated. Had my personal high run of '24' in an exhibition game on Saturday night. And, in the Finals, 8 players, I defeated all the players the same score, 40-16 except Walt Harris that score was 40-22. And I averaged 1.73 for the Finals.

HomeBrewer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In 1983, I played in a tournament at, 'State & Madison Billiards in Rockford, IL.
The room had 5 'Perfectly matched Brunswick 5'x10' 3C 'Arcade' tables. The BEST tables I ever played on! UNHEATED tables.
The cloth was new, 'Simonis Reulant'/K43 rubber/New Aramith balls.
One of the Mid-West Top Pool/3C players there was, George Paweilski from Wisconsin.
George had a Big Powerful stroke. He and I were testing getting 9 rails on the tables. Wasn't difficult at all.
The tables were playing about 1-1.5 diamonds long. With this being noticed I figured I would be able to catch the 9th cushion on the 'Short' rail, thus being able to go for '12 Cushions!' Which I did after about 8-9 attempts! I left George there trying to get the short 9th rail.

BTW, I won that 32 player event undefeated. Had my personal high run of '24' in an exhibition game on Saturday night. And, in the Finals, 8 players, I defeated all the players the same score, 40-16 except Walt Harris that score was 40-22. And I averaged 1.73 for the Finals.
Holy cow, 24 points ...

• Wow