Southwest cues - reasons for their popularity

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Thats odd that you would say that about one of the most sought after and respected cues in the world, I think they are real cue makers, tell me who do you know that puts white inlay into maple or similiar on a regular basis. it's done I'm sure but much more common is white in black or vice versus, why is that? To say that that the people at SW Cues arent real cue makers is a joke, they are some of the very best in the world by anyones standards.

Why do people try and pick things apart to critisize and belittle other people does it build them up to where they can feel good about themselves or does it simply show that they are narrow minded and somehow need to put others down to validate themselves.

Are you a cuemaker do you have enough knowledge of cue making to even evaluate who is a real cue maker. out of curiosity how many cues have you made since you offer that real cuemakers don't need to hide glue lines. What line of cues are you famous for.

Well Southwest was Jerry Franklin building. Jerry died, Lauri is apparently building Cues with team of craftsmen, or people who are do it like Jerry did.

Bottom line is supply can not keep up with demand, and Lauri is keeping the brand alive and well.

2rgrbn

"Sua Sponte"
Silver Member
True but even when Jerry was alive his Brother made Southwest “fancy” I’m not trying to build SW up they already did that themselves, I’m just offering some reasons that I think cause the price. I agree that there are a lot of good cue makers out there. I’ve offered enough of my opinions on this forum I’ll keep ‘em to myself from here

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Thats odd that you would say that about one of the most sought after and respected cues in the world, I think they are real cue makers, tell me who do you know that puts white inlay into maple or similiar on a regular basis. it's done I'm sure but much more common is white in black or vice versus, why is that? To say that that the people at SW Cues arent real cue makers is a joke, they are some of the very best in the world by anyones standards.

Why do people try and pick things apart to critisize and belittle other people does it build them up to where they can feel good about themselves or does it simply show that they are narrow minded and somehow need to put others down to validate themselves.

Are you a cuemaker do you have enough knowledge of cue making to even evaluate who is a real cue maker. out of curiosity how many cues have you made since you offer that real cuemakers don't need to hide glue lines. What line of cues are you famous for.
Maybe you should read his other post then you'd know what I'm talking about. When was the last time SW inlaid a cue??? Yeah, that's what SW is famous for...inlaid cues 🤣🤣🤣🤡

Coos Cues

Coos Cues
One other thing to add to this discussion, which is purely my opinion:

I think SW’s are the smartest cues to buy to hold value and store $. Barry’s & Gus’s are next only because the price point is much higher on them. All 3 are equally “safe” bets.

There are other cue makers out there that are probably equally safe, I just don’t know the market well enough to mention them.

I have lots of Tads because I like them, they haven’t went up much in value-and that’s ok, I’m not in it for the $.

But if I was in it for the $. I’d buy mostly SW’s to hold or flip. They are rock solid and will be for a very long time.

This is just my opinion and I’m not always right. But I’m confident enough to put my $ where my mouth Is, I have lots of SW’s.

Best
Fatboy😃
Your money is better invested in premium exotic wood squares. Unlike cues themselves the supply is shrinking fast and demand will keep your investment safe.

xX-Wizard-Xx

How does southwest cues push a ball down the table than any other cue maker... They really are not any better than tasc tad Shelby Jerry r ... So on and so on...

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
How does southwest cues push a ball down the table than any other cue maker... They really are not any better than tasc tad Shelby Jerry r ... So on and so on...

People have Cues they love, or hate. Because it a personal thing like brands of Running Shoes.

I have my favorite brand of running shoes, because they fit my feet well.

xX-Wizard-Xx

People have Cues they love, or hate. Because it a personal thing like brands of Running Shoes.

I have my favorite brand of running shoes, because they fit my feet well.
how do you know? you are still in line for yours? i guarantee you take a southwest and any other custom cue and southwest will not be any better than anything else.... it is mostly people idolizing a thing that creates a hype ..... people get it in their head they just have to have it .... not that it will really do more for them than to say hey i have a southwest cue

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
how do you know? you are still in line for yours? i guarantee you take a southwest and any other custom cue and southwest will not be any better than anything else.... it is mostly people idolizing a thing that creates a hype ..... people get it in their head they just have to have it .... not that it will really do more for them than to say hey i have a southwest cue

Well the Cue I play with is Magic when I am playing well.

Efren Reyes at one time played with Meucci, his Mucci was mafia wand.

You right I am still in line since 20-06, long time.

Friend let me use his Jerry Franklin Southwest, it was nice.

2rgrbn

"Sua Sponte"
Silver Member
Maybe you should read his other post then you'd know what I'm talking about. When was the last time SW inlaid a cue??? Yeah, that's what SW is famous for...inlaid cues 🤣🤣🤣🤡
When I spoke of glue lines I wasn't reffering to SW specifically. If you don't think cue makers have various methods (the glue lines was an example) for making their cue the best they can make it, you are wrong. Southwest does inlay cues I personally have never seen a "fancy" without inlays, How many SW cues have you owned? how many times have you been in their shop? You seem to have an issue with anything I put on here so I am curious what makes you so knowledgeable. I never said SW was famous for inlays. I would offer that anyone that knows anything about cue sticks puts SW as top 10 in the world. As far as what they are to an individual is decided by that individual. I simply tried to offer some ideas for the original posts question you seem to take issue with that.

You haven't answered as to how you are such an expert on cue making but your quick to judge and offer your input, I have owned 10 or more SW, I have bought and sold high end custom cues since 1995, I have manufactured no less than 300 cues, I have been to SW shop several times. So before you attack anything I post how about you put your credentials up mine aren't that impressive but they are enough for me to offer educated opinions on why a cue has value.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
When I spoke of glue lines I wasn't reffering to SW specifically. If you don't think cue makers have various methods (the glue lines was an example) for making their cue the best they can make it, you are wrong. Southwest does inlay cues I personally have never seen a "fancy" without inlays, How many SW cues have you owned? how many times have you been in their shop? You seem to have an issue with anything I put on here so I am curious what makes you so knowledgeable. I never said SW was famous for inlays. I would offer that anyone that knows anything about cue sticks puts SW as top 10 in the world. As far as what they are to an individual is decided by that individual. I simply tried to offer some ideas for the original posts question you seem to take issue with that.

You haven't answered as to how you are such an expert on cue making but your quick to judge and offer your input, I have owned 10 or more SW, I have bought and sold high end custom cues since 1995, I have manufactured no less than 300 cues, I have been to SW shop several times. So before you attack anything I post how about you put your credentials up mine aren't that impressive but they are enough for me to offer educated opinions on why a cue has value.
You're barking up the wrong tree on what and who I know in the cue and cue building world.

2rgrbn

"Sua Sponte"
Silver Member
With so much knowledge it seems like you could just answer the original posters question and there would be no need for the rest of us to offer out thuoghts in an attempt to answer it. Knowing cue makers and making cues is an entirely different thing

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
With so much knowledge it seems like you could just answer the original posters question and there would be no need for the rest of us to offer out thuoghts in an attempt to answer it. Knowing cue makers and making cues is an entirely different thing
Their cues play terrible IMHO. No idea why they're popular, in fact, I've seen more players say they hate the way SW play than any other "famous maker" and yes, I've owned SW.

2rgrbn

"Sua Sponte"
Silver Member
Their cues play terrible IMHO. No idea why they're popular, in fact, I've seen more players say they hate the way SW play than any other "famous maker" and yes, I've owned SW.
Thats fair enough, Jerry McWorter is a high end cue maker that for me personally I think his work is as good as any but I don't like the way his cues play. On the original threads topic, Maybe it's a combination of things that vary depending on the buyer. SW made their name at a time when cues were somewhat of a fad and they got popular, Jerry passed away at age 42, people lined up to get the cues for the collectability. The waiting list grew the price went up and the people at SW probably made some good management moves and here we are today. Scruggs, Gina, Searing, DPK and many others are real nice well made but spendy cues as well, I'm sure for a combination of reasons, the long waiting list for SW probably because of the rush to get a Jerry Franklin SW and all the orders they recieved because of it when he passed. By producing 300 or less cues a year the value seems to go up but so does the waiting list. I played with a SW for 30+ years but preffer the hit of a Gus, AE and (Eric Niemera's) Sierra.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member

Opinions are like noses, everyone has one.

Southwests are pricy, they are in demand, they bring good money on resale.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Thats fair enough, Jerry McWorter is a high end cue maker that for me personally I think his work is as good as any but I don't like the way his cues play. On the original threads topic, Maybe it's a combination of things that vary depending on the buyer. SW made their name at a time when cues were somewhat of a fad and they got popular, Jerry passed away at age 42, people lined up to get the cues for the collectability. The waiting list grew the price went up and the people at SW probably made some good management moves and here we are today. Scruggs, Gina, Searing, DPK and many others are real nice well made but spendy cues as well, I'm sure for a combination of reasons, the long waiting list for SW probably because of the rush to get a Jerry Franklin SW and all the orders they recieved because of it when he passed. By producing 300 or less cues a year the value seems to go up but so does the waiting list. I played with a SW for 30+ years but preffer the hit of a Gus, AE and (Eric Niemera's) Sierra.
I play with a Mobley right now that was Built for Earl, the shafts are completely different than all other Mobley shafts, huge difference from my other Mobley. I've had 13 or 14 Searings and like that hit, along with Showman(mines in Searings shop right now) + Tad and Ted Harris. Had a Scruggs I really liked till it fell over on carpet and broke 😩

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
I play with a Mobley right now that was Built for Earl, the shafts are completely different than all other Mobley shafts, huge difference from my other Mobley. I've had 13 or 14 Searings and like that hit, along with Showman(mines in Searings shop right now) + Tad and Ted Harris. Had a Scruggs I really liked till it fell over on carpet and broke 😩

Someone recently sad Cue Butt is just Shaft n Tip holder, the Shaft n Tip are what is important.

Zip

Registered
Since everyone else is giving their opinion I might as well.

I owned 3 different SW cues in the past and I can honestly say that I'll never own another. When you pay that much money for a cue wether brand new or on the used market you shouldn't have to worry about the dreaded "south west roll" happening to your cue. If they are that great the why does the butt warp? Any other cue maker and people would consider it a piece of firewood.

lord_shar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since everyone else is giving their opinion I might as well.

I owned 3 different SW cues in the past and I can honestly say that I'll never own another. When you pay that much money for a cue wether brand new or on the used market you shouldn't have to worry about the dreaded "south west roll" happening to your cue. If they are that great the why does the butt warp? Any other cue maker and people would consider it a piece of firewood.

This is my main worry about investing in a SW -- I love the style, but I've also read about older ones getting roll as they age. I own two other 18+ year old cues that are still as straight as the day I received them.

Last edited: