US Open 9B October, 2022 -- Atlantic City

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The purple 5 has been a thing for a while now in MR events, and the mistake happened late in the match.

I think it's more likely the kid just overlooked the 4 being on the table, and thought he was supposed to be shooting the 5.

briankenobi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As stated before, Joey had no problems before this game with the colors. Just had a brain fart. He also had ball in hand to start the next game. He had his opportunity back and got bad position. This was a great match to watch and to say that he had Shane on the ropes for this match at 17 years old speaks volumes. Future Mosconi Cup for this kid.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The purple 5 is still a poor choice for a pool ball set. Matchroom continues to support this set but the reality is that if you went into every pool hall, bar, and home in the United States then I would guess the 5 ball would be purple in less than 1% of them and the 4 ball would be purple in over 95% of them. Our intuition has been established as players (AND AS VIEWERS) to look for yellow, blue, red, purple, orange, green, maroon, black, striped yellow. That's an unconscious process that is continuously reinforced every day. Matchroom is the exception, not the rule. I get messing with the colors for TV but it's still today a poor choice to flip color/number assignments from the traditional set. There have to be better options available if they continue thinking critically.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
:LOL:
The poor kid blew it.
Most entertaining match on stream so far

p5.JPG

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well that is kind of the point. In pressure situations, the mind works differently. Those are the times when the player falls back on instinct, not to mention when the viewer is most engaged. The fact that he didn’t have any problem beforehand is irrelevant - in the most important moment of the match he did in fact have a problem, ruining the competitiveness of the match and ruining the viewing experience in the process.

Taxi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I want to warn people about that table 1 link provided on the Matchroom site. It says you have to "create an account" to view table 1. Like a complete idiot, I did so, and yada yada yada got scammed by two different companies into subscribing to websites that have nothing to do with pool. I called Mastercard and had both of those charged voided, but to do that they had to cancel my credit card and issue me a new one.

The two scam artist companies are stream.vodseeker.com and https://sourcetorun.com. Allegedly you can unsubscribe by going to these sites and logging in, but when you go to https://sourcetorun.com there's no way to log in! This is the first time in my very long life I've ever been taken in by anything like this, and I guarantee it'll be the last time.

I want to thank Skip100 for providing the direct link to table 1, but I'm wondering how that bogus "create an account" link got on the Matchroom page to begin with. In previous tournaments I never saw anything like that, only a direct link to the table itself.

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Is that the first match where the Matchroom color change definitively changed the outcome?
AFAIK it is. The kid shot the right ball every other time, he just felt the pressure and had a brain fart.
Well that is kind of the point. In pressure situations, the mind works differently. Those are the times when the player falls back on instinct, not to mention when the viewer is most engaged. The fact that he didn’t have any problem beforehand is irrelevant - in the most important moment of the match he did in fact have a problem, ruining the competitiveness of the match and ruining the viewing experience in the process.
Sorry man, I normally in in dead agreement with you, but I disagree on this one. I've seen people shoot the wrong ball in pressure situations with the old colors too. It seems like all of the players have adjusted pretty well to the new set. I don't particularly care for them, but this one is totally on him.

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
AFAIK it is. The kid shot the right ball every other time, he just felt the pressure and had a brain fart.

Sorry man, I normally in in dead agreement with you, but I disagree on this one. I've seen people shoot the wrong ball in pressure situations with the old colors too. It seems like all of the players have adjusted pretty well to the new set. I don't particularly care for them, but this one is totally on him.
Of course it’s on him. He didn’t shoot the right ball. But there’s no doubt in my mind that the color of that ball was a huge contributing factor to that mental mistake.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As stated before, Joey had no problems before this game with the colors. Just had a brain fart. He also had ball in hand to start the next game. He had his opportunity back and got bad position. This was a great match to watch and to say that he had Shane on the ropes for this match at 17 years old speaks volumes. Future Mosconi Cup for this kid.

agree, tate played impressive for a kid that age. looked dedicated and calm for the most part

LHP5

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Super tough loss for John Morra.

Gomez looked like he had the yips on his straight in 9 ball to win.
Yeah alot of misses in the final rack by both players. Table must be playing real tough cause that was a bit rough to watch. Roberto made so many great kick shots.