Matchroom picks the DRAMA QUEEN.

dnschmidt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Earl again, I guess it's really that bad, huh? This had to come from Matchroom as Jeremy Jones can't be that braindead. Doesn't really matter as we're going to get killed with or without Earl but I guess Matchroom had to do something to keep people from tuning out. When you've got no talent you need a sideshow is probably how Barry saw it.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Earl again, I guess it's really that bad, huh? This had to come from Matchroom as Jeremy Jones can't be that braindead. Doesn't really matter as we're going to get killed with or without Earl but I guess Matchroom had to do something to keep people from tuning out. When you've got no talent you need a sideshow is probably how Barry saw it.
There is absolutely no question regardless of whether Earl deserved to be selected - the interest and eyes on this event will be significantly increased due to Earl‘s presence!

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
Earls ability on the break will be fun to watch.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
It's rare to see absolute peak performance at the Mosconi. It's an entirely different animal than a World championship or Eurotour or something like that, and the top tournament players sometimes do not excel. Take SVB for example. Earl has shown in the past that he CAN perform and he's also shown the opposite. I guess it depends which Earl shows up. I would love for him to do well, but unfortunately I fear the worst.

KUKABUKA

There aren't many other sports where players from past generations can still compete with the best of today's generation. Why are there so many haters?
Earl is incredibly dramatic, a lot of people are averse to drama. It's really quite simple.

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
Earl is incredibly dramatic, a lot of people are averse to drama. It's really quite simple.

Earl is a one man show. Today's players are great at shooting but in terms of sports entertainment don't deliver anything special.

Earl has delivered and does deliver as evidenced by his popularity on social media. Emily Frazer understands this and acts accordingly. If Emily is pursuing it has value.

KUKABUKA

Earl is a one man show. Today's players are great at shooting but in terms of sports entertainment don't deliver anything special.

Earl has delivered and does deliver as evidenced by his popularity on social media. Emily Frazer understands this and acts accordingly. If Emily is pursuing it has value.

Yes that explains why they picked him, you asked why people are hating on them picking him.

I'm not a "hater", I watch every year for the pool, not for the antics (or what you're calling sports entertainment). Hopefully he performs but USA is looking pretty screwed anyway.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's rare to see absolute peak performance at the Mosconi. It's an entirely different animal than a World championship or Eurotour or something like that, and the top tournament players sometimes do not excel. Take SVB for example. Earl has shown in the past that he CAN perform and he's also shown the opposite. I guess it depends which Earl shows up. I would love for him to do well, but unfortunately I fear the worst.
I don’t know Earl well, however I know him well enough to know he will work his ass off to be prepared and will do his very best. He can take the heat, he’s got it in him to be a proven winner. Nobody can out run time. But Adrenalin (Sp?) can and should serve him well.

I’m confident he will be just fine out there and sure he might dog a ball or 2. But at the end of the day I’m triple happy that he’s playing for us. I know he will give 1000%.

That’s my official statement and feelings

Fatboy Approved

7stud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don’t know Earl well, however I know him well enough to know he will work his ass off to be prepared and will do his very best. He can take the heat, he’s got it in him to be a proven winner. Nobody can out run time. But Adrenalin (Sp?) can and should serve him well.
Unfortunately, those older folks tend to make mistakes like...asking for the ball to be cleaned with 7 seconds left on the shot clock. Remember when Earl put his hand in the pocket? I think JJ wants someone more senile than himself on the team so that when JJ does something dumb, he can say, "You think that was dumb?! Look at that idiot over there with the ass weights and the fat finger wraps."

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Unfortunately, those older folks tend to make mistakes like...asking for the ball to be cleaned with 7 seconds left on the shot clock. Remember when Earl put his hand in the pocket? I think JJ wants someone more senile than himself on the team so that when JJ does something dumb, he can say, "You think that was dumb?! Look at that idiot over there with the ass weights and the fat finger wraps."
I do agree we are in trouble and big under dogs.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Judging by the AzBilliards poll voted on by AzBilliards members to this forum, the majority did vote for Earl Strickland. I guess they're in agreement with Matchroom's choice.

I am surprised to learn that Mosconi Cup team captains have not say in the wildcard choices, that they are left to the promoter instead. If I understand correctly, the first three out of five are chosen based on ranking points accumulated by attending Matchroom-sanctioned or -approved pool events. The last two of the five chosen, the wildcards, are the promoter's choice. I am kind of sad that the team captains don't have a choice, but it explains volumes now that I know why some players were chosen in previous Mosconi Cup events.

https://forums.azbilliards.com/threads/wildcard-pick-for-2022-mosconi-cup-poll.547748/page-7