So Skyler got drug tested immediately after losing to Oi???

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've read this entire thread, and I guess I must have missed it. Sky was drug-tested. Okay. Did he pass the test?
I think Sky just happened to get a string of awkward experiences. Ref penalized him a game for taking too long of a bathroom break. I heard he was put on a shot clock twice. He had to re-lag after executing a perfect lag because his opponent didn’t strike his ball until after Sky’s hit the end rail. And then fans recorded footage of him being asked to take a drug test while packing up his cue from a loss. Lots of emotionally riled up fans are floating conspiracies that he’s being targeted intentionally.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think Sky just happened to get a string of awkward experiences. Ref penalized him a game for taking too long of a bathroom break. I heard he was put on a shot clock twice. He had to re-lag after executing a perfect lag because his opponent didn’t strike his ball until after Sky’s hit the end rail. And then fans recorded footage of him being asked to take a drug test while packing up his cue from a loss. Lots of emotionally riled up fans are floating conspiracies that he’s being targeted intentionally.
The whiny/butthurt Sky fans are all up in arms. They all need to relax and chill. No conspiracy.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
And the Prohibited List looks like it's missing a few substances that are frequently used by pool players. :rolleyes:
I've briefly looked but have already found one banned drug on the list I take for my heart (metoprolol). It's on page 19 and specifically mentions billiards as one of the sports for which it is banned.

With my health issues, I currently take 8 prescribed medications, some twice daily. I probably should be banned from breathing air!

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
The whiny/butthurt Sky fans are all up in arms. They all need to relax and chill. No conspiracy.
Not a fanboy of Sky's (or professional pool in general). I just think it would be considerate of them to at least put his cues up fist and take a couple of breaths after a tough loss.

What's a couple of minutes going to do to affect a drug test outcome? Maybe the testing people need to relax and chill, eh?

Reactions: JAM

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Random Testing = Targeted Discrimination

Why not make the drug testing standard? It would be the commitment to avoid drugs to be on tour. Test Together, this way every can complain testing is problematic and need updating.

Emily would love if the players did that on their own for the good of the sport and the good of the future.

Fight for pool freedoms and more player rights.
The WPA is not liberal at all.
It is only targeted inasmuch as each test pertains to a single subject.

Drug testing is standard and I'd suggest you look into the VAST AMOUNT OF PUBLICALLY AVAIALABLE procedural documentation on the topic.

If by standard, you mean all event participants are tested, this is the real world and things cost money. Further, is is ignorant to thing those testing want to catch dirty, they hope they NEVER catch another dirty sample.

It is intended to be a preventative process, not a punitive one.

Dummy.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've briefly looked but have already found one banned drug on the list I take for my heart (metoprolol). It's on page 19 and specifically mentions billiards as one of the sports for which it is banned.

With my health issues, I currently take 8 prescribed medications, some twice daily. I probably should be banned from breathing air!
And this is where costs begin to pile up.

It is common for TUE- therapeutic use exemption- to be considered for participants who have documented medical need for banned items and notify the association of the need.

Now you need a medical expert and maybe a legal one too.

JPB2

I follow golf pretty close and have never heard this about PGA golfers. Its possible a couple may have but never widespread. There WAS a big BB scandal on the snooker tour yrs back involving scattered usage. I've taken them before for heart/stress help and they do chill your ass down. Almost too much to be in a competitive state imo.
I had trouble linking the article. It was an ESPN article from 2005. Easy google search. One player made accusations. Another had a legit prescription for it and mentioned what you said- maybe calmed you down too much. I remembered it being discussed but didn’t remember details.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not a fanboy of Sky's (or professional pool in general). I just think it would be considerate of them to at least put his cues up fist and take a couple of breaths after a tough loss.

What's a couple of minutes going to do to affect a drug test outcome? Maybe the testing people need to relax and chill, eh?
Again, I bet the procedure is all in writing and made available to participants prior to event.

When one is selected for testing, he does not leave the official's sight until test is taken.

It is common and necessary.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They are way out of line with this list. I think if a player does take a drug prescribed by a Dr. for whatever problem he has that is on the list and then gets tested with a positive for being in his system, they should double dare the organization to withhold the earnings from the tournament and sue their asses for 10 to 100 times the amount. A good attorney should turn it into a
no-brainer and rake them over the coals.
Naw. Medications in banned list must be declared as soon as reasonably possible for consideration of inclusion.

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
It’s funny to blame Matchroom for a Predator/WPA event. This is the WPA World 10-ball Championship. “WPA” = “Olympic Affiliation”. All Olympic sports are required to do random drug tests. The point is for people to pass them. Sky got some bad rolls with stupid referees this event. But this one thing is going to happen to every pro in a WPA event sooner or later. They randomly draw like 4 at the final 16. It’s a sign he did well to get so deep for it to be a possibility. Don’t get me wrong. WPA brings some bureaucratic baggage with their drug testing. Just look at Billy’s situation a few years back. I’m not defending their merits. Just acknowledging Sky was very clearly not singled out no matter how much it would appear so.

Many of the modern Olympic sports (skateboarding, skiing, snowboarding, the x games stuff, basketball, etc) only test during Olympic competition. Otherwise there would be no athletes.

The old head of the WPA was infatuated with the IOC and always tried to go above and beyond their requirements. Same thing with the Russia ban.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had trouble linking the article. It was an ESPN article from 2005. Easy google search. One player made accusations. Another had a legit prescription for it and mentioned what you said- maybe calmed you down too much. I remembered it being discussed but didn’t remember details.
I remember now. Australian cat Craig Parry made a bunch of statements none of which were taken very seriously. The few that did use them originally were prescribed by doc's iirc. Nick Price said pretty much what i said earlier in that they made you kinda in limbo, neither up or down. No good for competition. The benefits of calmness would be offset by the lack of desire to win, that 'edge' required. When i took them i was seriously 'edgeless'.

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
It is only targeted inasmuch as each test pertains to a single subject.

Drug testing is standard and I'd suggest you look into the VAST AMOUNT OF PUBLICALLY AVAIALABLE procedural documentation on the topic.

If by standard, you mean all event participants are tested, this is the real world and things cost money. Further, is is ignorant to thing those testing want to catch dirty, they hope they NEVER catch another dirty sample.

It is intended to be a preventative process, not a punitive one.

Dummy.

Tell that to the victims of brutality or negligence or racism or malpractice from people that have jobs they should not be doing.

Standards exists however individuals do not practice them equally and complaints are not investigated equally or with a uniform standard reporting procedure for national or global databases.

Check at 32:00 minutes an female child gymnast was victimized because of the medical oversight. Safesport is pushing trauma centered patient informed medical oversight.

The current medical oversight is a test and punish system to reward the test maker and give the doctor ultimate power. Instead healthcare practices do not have the same impact on all patients. That is why patient informed and trauma centered practices are needed.

I wouldn't want any female or U17 pro to experience assault detailed in a congressional meeting at 32:00.

Would you want a white male doctor treating a female African that he has no experience with food, culture or health from Africa? White man science works on white people. First they should sort out Europe and the Middle East before they tell billiard players what to do.

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think the testing protocol requires the player to be tested within a number of minutes of his final match in the event. That means for most of the tested it will happen immediately after a loss that eliminates them. If you think about the timing I think you will see that this is the most effective way to do testing.

Coos Cues

Coos Cues
I think the testing protocol requires the player to be tested within a number of minutes of his final match in the event. That means for most of the tested it will happen immediately after a loss that eliminates them. If you think about the timing I think you will see that this is the most effective way to do testing.
Plus with no bathroom breaks is there a better time to get a sample?

Cord

Ok, assuming he popped, what for?

Is this dude being pilloried for being a little baked while shooting pool, in a state where recreational cannabis is legal?

Uhhh .... I'm in no way equipped to be throwing any stones, if that's the case.