straight rail

Bert van Manen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you can remember that far back, what's the difference between stages where a player averages 1-2, 3-5, 6-12, 12-30 ?

In other words, what is the difference between running 10, 20, 30, or 50 points?
Very good question. If you are learning SR, you'll have to (assuming your stance and stroke are technically sound) try and make the majority of your points drawing or stunning from one object ball to the other, avoiding rails where you can. To do that, you'll have to focus on speed control, always staying close to at least one of the object balls. Find some online collection of gather shots and practice those. Spend some time making small piques and massées, you'll frequently need those when the balls are close. Once you manage to gather with some success, you might want to start learning the Serie Americaine. Without good gathers, there's no progress. Finally, your question about runs: for any beginner, a run of 10 is a great accomplishment (because 7 or 8 will have been difficult shots). You'll be in the 20's quickly, once you can bring all three near a corner. For the advanced player: there little difference between a run of 50 and a run of 300 because it's all repetiton of the same two, three patterns. Somebody said: there's no substitute for up-close and personal lessons, and he was right.

pvc lou

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What’s the difference between being able to run 20 and 50…or 10 and 40?

I get going in a run and in the mid teens I’ll have played a lovely gather to the corner, but often something happens where I lose the position and the run ends at 25.

• Angry
Reactions: bbb

pvc lou

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very good question. If you are learning SR, you'll have to (assuming your stance and stroke are technically sound) try and make the majority of your points drawing or stunning from one object ball to the other, avoiding rails where you can. To do that, you'll have to focus on speed control, always staying close to at least one of the object balls. Find some online collection of gather shots and practice those. Spend some time making small piques and massées, you'll frequently need those when the balls are close. Once you manage to gather with some success, you might want to start learning the Serie Americaine. Without good gathers, there's no progress. Finally, your question about runs: for any beginner, a run of 10 is a great accomplishment (because 7 or 8 will have been difficult shots). You'll be in the 20's quickly, once you can bring all three near a corner. For the advanced player: there little difference between a run of 50 and a run of 300 because it's all repetiton of the same two, three patterns. Somebody said: there's no substitute for up-close and personal lessons, and he was right.
Thanks, captain obvious.

erriep

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And what size table?

Asking for a fiend.
when you begin to learn the straight rail game , practice & play on the smallest table avaible.
start to play on a 8' or 9' if you can.
once you reach a 15-20 average on 150 or 200p matchs on 8'/9' tables, then IMHO it's time to practice & play on the 10' table ...
as long as you don't have reached a decent average/level, IMHO 10' tables are a bit toxic for straight rail learning...
That's why in europe people learn the small games on small tables (2m60 in Belgium, 2m80 in France )

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
when you begin to learn the straight rail game , practice & play on the smallest table avaible.
start to play on a 8' or 9' if you can.
once you reach a 15-20 average on 150 or 200p matchs on 8'/9' tables, then IMHO it's time to practice & play on the 10' table ...
as long as you don't have reached a decent average/level, IMHO 10' tables are a bit toxic for straight rail learning...
That's why in europe people learn the small games on small tables (2m60 in Belgium, 2m80 in France )
In the us we have more 10ft
Some 9s but no smaller very rare

Texas3cushion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We even got guys who don't average more than 4 but are already playing straight rail on the 10s

For me if you run 6 in 3c on a 9' table. That's still a big achievement. Or if you avg .5 on a 9' that's also a big achievement.

Running 100 points of 14.1 on an 8' is impressive.

Running 150 points of 14.1 on a 7' is also impressive.

Texas3cushion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I see them using 3 but haven't really paid attention to what they are doing with their balls.
I would imagine the Korean version you are playing with 4 balls is a little harder to learn at first, than the French version.

Many basics with a high learning curve in french billiards while to my knowledge the Korean version has a similar yet different scoring system.

Someone correct my if I'm wrong but in the Korean version I think you get a point for hitting your opponents cue ball. So you can use it as an option for a carom.

But now that means you have more options for gather shots and it could be too much going on o think for someone starting out.

I'm not even close to an expert on the games but maybe @Bert van Manen will have an opinion.

erriep

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
in fact, straight rail is harder , because there are only 3 balls. probability of missing is higher than with 4 balls.
the problem of straight rail being missing... the long time on a chair ,waiting ... or how to not miss when you play on 400p....to turn and turn the corners , both hands if you like ....
what a cruel game it is.

pvc lou

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
in fact, straight rail is harder , because there are only 3 balls. probability of missing is higher than with 4 balls.
the problem of straight rail being missing... the long time on a chair ,waiting ... or how to not miss when you play on 400p....to turn and turn the corners , both hands if you like ....
what a cruel game it is.

I find the game is already frustrating when my opponent rains a few runs in the teens and twenties, and never leaves me a shot.

There is a 4 ball version of straight rail, where the 4th ball is blue. Same game: you score by hitting any 2 object balls. This is for people playing for the first time…like sometimes I see little kids playing this at the club.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would imagine the Korean version you are playing with 4 balls is a little harder to learn at first, than the French version.

Many basics with a high learning curve in french billiards while to my knowledge the Korean version has a similar yet different scoring system.

Someone correct my if I'm wrong but in the Korean version I think you get a point for hitting your opponents cue ball. So you can use it as an option for a carom.

But now that means you have more options for gather shots and it could be too much going on o think for someone starting out.

I'm not even close to an expert on the games but maybe @Bert van Manen will have an opinion.
The folks at my spot play if your CB touches opponent's, all the inning's points are forfeited AND you owe a point for FN up (but I don't think they call it that)!