straight rail

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds like you had some breakthroughs. What were they?
Just little bit more accurate on every aspect. i studied a lot of slow rolling carom angles and learned even calculate them. I don´t use calculations normally but some shots when i try learn them i might use. Also when I started learn 3-cushion too alongside there came many more shots to arsenal. I did also search videos about different gathering shots and practiced those alone. Played a lot with Turkish guy who did put 100+ runs and studied he´s play. You can replay shots frame by frame if you want see spin he uses or thickness of cut. saves a lot of time.
Also played a lot of very good Korean 3-cushion player who has 3-cushion high break 30+ on 7ft table(real money game). not remember his 10ft scores. Playing with good players and study them accelerate learning.

Last and biggest still was getting real 10ft carom table in our club finally :D

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I tried 1 rail yesterday and averaged 1.5.

Got 2 in first inning and then gave up after 1 and a confusing position for a second shot!

Deceptively difficult. I'll try to give it a real go sometime in the future.

Are you all using 3 or 4 balls to play SR?

How about the balls? 3c balls or the bigger 4b ones.

And what size table?

Asking for a fiend.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
I tried 1 rail yesterday and averaged 1.5.

Got 2 in first inning and then gave up after 1 and a confusing position for a second shot!

Deceptively difficult. I'll try to give it a real go sometime in the future.

Are you all using 3 or 4 balls to play SR?

How about the balls? 3c balls or the bigger 4b ones.

And what size table?

Asking for a fiend.
Bruh this is a straight rail thread
And there is a 1 cushion thread

Sr is played with 3
Korean 4b uses 4

Balls are all standard 61.5 mm
The Korean balls are bigger like 65 mm
Any size table doesn’t matter

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love the fact that there are still people playing straight rail. But SR is a bit of a Janus Head: challenging and interesting if you haven't yet mastered it, and a "been there, done that" experience once you have. Thankfully, there's a natural promotion to the balkline games once you've managed to reduce SR to six, seven semi-difficult points followed by a few hundred in the Serie Americaine. My advice to anyone who comes from the world of pool and wants to try SR: get a (much) lighter cue with a smaller diameter tip. Around 480 grams and 11.2 mm, that will help you a lot when the three balls are relatively close. Not everybody survives the SR grind phase: the road from 1 average to 2 average is longer than the one from 5 to 100.
By the way. I never realized you are the co-commentator of many those mathces i love to watch where Blomdahl is also commenting. You two are perfect combo. I like your commentary as well when you alone. Very classy and is spot on 3-Cushion. I just love Blomdahl matches so much because i learned more from those than anywhere else :)

Thanks for all work you do for sport! I found your page of carompedia too. very cool!

Bert van Manen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you can remember that far back, what's the difference between stages where a player averages 1-2, 3-5, 6-12, 12-30 ?

In other words, what is the difference between running 10, 20, 30, or 50 points?
Very good question. If you are learning SR, you'll have to (assuming your stance and stroke are technically sound) try and make the majority of your points drawing or stunning from one object ball to the other, avoiding rails where you can. To do that, you'll have to focus on speed control, always staying close to at least one of the object balls. Find some online collection of gather shots and practice those. Spend some time making small piques and massées, you'll frequently need those when the balls are close. Once you manage to gather with some success, you might want to start learning the Serie Americaine. Without good gathers, there's no progress. Finally, your question about runs: for any beginner, a run of 10 is a great accomplishment (because 7 or 8 will have been difficult shots). You'll be in the 20's quickly, once you can bring all three near a corner. For the advanced player: there little difference between a run of 50 and a run of 300 because it's all repetiton of the same two, three patterns. Somebody said: there's no substitute for up-close and personal lessons, and he was right.

pvc lou

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What’s the difference between being able to run 20 and 50…or 10 and 40?

I get going in a run and in the mid teens I’ll have played a lovely gather to the corner, but often something happens where I lose the position and the run ends at 25.

• Angry
Reactions: bbb

pvc lou

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very good question. If you are learning SR, you'll have to (assuming your stance and stroke are technically sound) try and make the majority of your points drawing or stunning from one object ball to the other, avoiding rails where you can. To do that, you'll have to focus on speed control, always staying close to at least one of the object balls. Find some online collection of gather shots and practice those. Spend some time making small piques and massées, you'll frequently need those when the balls are close. Once you manage to gather with some success, you might want to start learning the Serie Americaine. Without good gathers, there's no progress. Finally, your question about runs: for any beginner, a run of 10 is a great accomplishment (because 7 or 8 will have been difficult shots). You'll be in the 20's quickly, once you can bring all three near a corner. For the advanced player: there little difference between a run of 50 and a run of 300 because it's all repetiton of the same two, three patterns. Somebody said: there's no substitute for up-close and personal lessons, and he was right.
Thanks, captain obvious.

erriep

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And what size table?

Asking for a fiend.
when you begin to learn the straight rail game , practice & play on the smallest table avaible.
start to play on a 8' or 9' if you can.
once you reach a 15-20 average on 150 or 200p matchs on 8'/9' tables, then IMHO it's time to practice & play on the 10' table ...
as long as you don't have reached a decent average/level, IMHO 10' tables are a bit toxic for straight rail learning...
That's why in europe people learn the small games on small tables (2m60 in Belgium, 2m80 in France )

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
when you begin to learn the straight rail game , practice & play on the smallest table avaible.
start to play on a 8' or 9' if you can.
once you reach a 15-20 average on 150 or 200p matchs on 8'/9' tables, then IMHO it's time to practice & play on the 10' table ...
as long as you don't have reached a decent average/level, IMHO 10' tables are a bit toxic for straight rail learning...
That's why in europe people learn the small games on small tables (2m60 in Belgium, 2m80 in France )
In the us we have more 10ft
Some 9s but no smaller very rare

Texas3cushion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We even got guys who don't average more than 4 but are already playing straight rail on the 10s

For me if you run 6 in 3c on a 9' table. That's still a big achievement. Or if you avg .5 on a 9' that's also a big achievement.

Running 100 points of 14.1 on an 8' is impressive.

Running 150 points of 14.1 on a 7' is also impressive.