Scammer alert

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
DO NOT do any business with Jacob Watson out of Bossier City, LA. He also claims to be from Lindale, TX. He is involved in running tournaments out of Sidepockets in Shreveport, LA. He is a scammer. I caught him trying to scam me on FB for a rare billiard poster. Just a word to the wise.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
DO NOT do any business with Jacob Watson out of Bossier City, LA. He also claims to be from Lindale, TX. He is involved in running tournaments out of Sidepockets in Shreveport, LA. He is a scammer. I caught him trying to scam me on FB for a rare billiard poster. Just a word to the wise.
Thanks for the heads up jay 👍

Colonel

Raised by Wolves in a Pool Hall
Silver Member
IMG_0849.jpeg

mnorwood

Moon
Silver Member
I have Willie Mosconis first cue and a pair of his underwear. I will make you a good deal on both. I will discount them if you by them as a set.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
So here's what happened. I advertised one of those large honorary checks that they often give out to the winning player of a big tournament. In this case it was Dennis Orcollo's check for winning the 2013 U.S. Open One Pocket Championship. He gave it to me after his win in return for favors I had done for him. I found it stored away in the back of my garage and decided someone else might be able to use it to decorate their poolroom. I put it up for sale on several Facebook billiard marketplaces.

Right away This guy Watson contacts me and says he already sent me money and shows me a screen shot that looks like it's from Paypal. I accepted it as real and packed the poster up and took it to UPS. Only after I get back home do I discover that no money from him had hit my account. There was no record of any such transaction and his original communication with me on FB was gone as well. I messaged him directly and he made a joke out of it, saying he paid me through FB and I should talk to Mark Zuckerburg if I had a problem. He was putting a LOL in every comment to me. I told him that I did not get any money from him and had already sent it through UPS. He continued to tell me that he sent the money and asked me to show him proof (a screenshot of my PayPal account) that I did not get it. I declined to do that, saying I had no proof since I never got any money and wasn't about to show him anything from my PayPal account. He told me it could just be slow coming from FB to PayPal and not to worry.

Now it has been all day (since early this morning) and there is still no money from him in my PayPal account. I went back to UPS and intercepted the package before it went out. I did not tell him this in my communication with him and he assumed the package was already on its way. At UPS they told me this has happened before. The buyer (Watson) gets an alert the moment I buy the shipping label from Facebook, which I had done right away. Then they quickly cancel the transaction on Paypal and it is removed and their money returned. All record of it is then erased from PayPal. When I went back home and checked on it there was no record of the transaction on PayPal. Zero, nothing!

This guy kept insisting to me that he sent me the money and showed me the same screenshot over and over again. What do you think? Am I missing something here? For me there were just too many clues (mainly no money!) that he was lying to me and trying to cover up afterwards. He did continue to chat with me on FB for over thirty minutes when I confronted him, and he began to get very argumentative. I admit I did not respond well to that when he called me an old man living in California, and what a terrible place to live it was. I told him that was none of his business and that I wasn't too old to give him an ass whipping and he was lucky he was so far away. Yes I was mad. Sorry about that.

Anyway at the end of the day I have the poster back, retrieved from UPS and a new buyer who is legit. If Watson's money ever does come to me I will just send it back, but that seems pretty doubtful right now. It's been over ten hours since this started.

One other thing. I called Sidepockets in Shreveport and they told me he did not work there. He told me he put on tournaments for them, so someone is lying. Does anyone here know this guy?

Last edited:

Buckzapper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sometimes a scammer has to have their front teeth shown to them on steel-toed boots. Not everybody plays fair. My sister had her pool cue stolen and had an enforcer from a well known motorcycle gang call the thief where he tended bar. The cue appeared like David Copperfield pulled it from under a white cloth. The enforcer, which is my ex-brother-in-law simple said to the guy "Don't make me drive down there."

Last edited:

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Sorry you had to go thru this jay
Glad
Alls well that ends well

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is awful. People like that are should be ashamed.

Just so you know, thought, we have many friends—as I'm sure a lot of AzB-ers might—in that neck of the woods who would have been very happy to track this fellow down and retrieve the poster of the check.

I got ripped off for $50 from Prodigy, one of the first online social media platforms. A guy from North Carolina said he was selling pool balls, and I wanted to buy them. I sent him the money and never received them. I didn't have the sleuthing skills then that I have today.

JillHawkCueCases

Jill Hawk Cases
Silver Member
This seems equivalent to selling someone a piece of luggage with a hole in it that has been covered in duct tape. And then saying that "I didn't remember it was there."

We all shine on...

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
He sent me a list of all the people he supposedly did business with last night, all through PayPal transactions. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt but reminded him that the responsiblity lies with him to make it good, not me. I'm not sure, and probably never will be, what happened here, but the fact remains no money from him made it into my PayPal account. Maybe it was a computer error of some kind or something else, but all I have to go on is the fact that I did not get paid and his original attitude when I confronted him. It was like he didn't care and it was all just a joke. All the chatter after that seemed like he was just trying to cover his ass so I didn't damage his reputation by outing him publicly. He repeatedly asked me not to talk about him online.

If he proves me wrong I will apologize. But so far he has made no attempt to find out why his supposed payment never went through, laying that search on me. C'est la vie.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
with strangers its best not to send anything until the money clears.\
and in most cases dont bother to deal with someone you dont have a good line on who they are and their reputation.

we all have in life lost out because we made an agreement over something with a p.o.s.
not worth it.
lucky for jay he is street wise. but almost got took because he is too nice a guy.

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bossier City…hmm…too bad Carlos Marcello isn’t still around…it‘s nice drive from New Orleans to Shreveport/Bossier City… the hospitals have repaired a lot of broken arms and legs and swollen testicles in Shreveport.…

Badpenguin

Any financial transaction that begins with an interaction via facebook should always be assumed to be a scam. Screen shots are meaningless, anyone can make them up, I can show you screen shots of my bank account balance of $1,000,000,000.

Once the money actually gets deposited into my account, then maybe it is not a scam.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Bossier City…hmm…too bad Carlos Marcello isn’t still around…it‘s nice drive from New Orleans to Shreveport/Bossier City… the hospitals have repaired a lot of broken arms and legs and swollen testicles in Shreveport.…

A funny when they were first trying to legalize gambling in Louisiana. Some were concerned about the mafia moving in. The response, No worries we already have Carlos Marcello.

Hu

• Haha
Reactions: bbb

fjk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I routinely receive text messages and emails from scammers watching AZ. I comment how nice a cue or case is, the next thing I know someone is trying to sell it to me cheap. I would never fall for something like that, but some scams are pretty sophisticated / convincing. EVERYONE needs to be careful.

Last edited: