Scammer alert

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I wonder if it was really Jacob. He has always seemed like a stand up guy to me.
He may well be. He just made some questionable decisions with me on how to buy something. The first one was to not tell me it would take over a week for the payment to arrive. P.S. To date I have not received any payment of any kind from him.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm with Jay on this one, it was all fishy, at least Jay's version.

If the buyer Jacobs was indeed using PayPal linked only to a bank, and not with a credit card as a backup, then it does get sent as an e-check. That takes many days.

However, everyone who has ever used PayPal online has run into this over the years. If they didn't know about the delay, they would when the seller informed them their money was not received. Then they go and add a credit card as a backup funding source which makes it instant.

OR, they'd communicate with new sellers after that, that their payment will take several days. To please hold the item until received, then ship after.

If this buyer didn't do any of that, he was either trying to scam, OR, it was his first ever transaction on PP, and he didn't know the e-check takes a while.

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
Learn something new every day. This was possibly a FB/PayPal scam. Never heard of this one before but at my age nothing surprises me.
I had something similar happen with a car ECU and ECU programming tool. They agreed upon a price and said they sent it via paypal and sent me a screenshot. Anytime I'm dealing with paypal I always verify it first. When any notice in my email and I didn't see anything in my account. I wrote him and said I never got anything, he again sent the screenshot and I told him to stick his screenshot up his ass.

Jaden

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
He sent me a list of all the people he supposedly did business with last night, all through PayPal transactions. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt but reminded him that the responsiblity lies with him to make it good, not me. I'm not sure, and probably never will be, what happened here, but the fact remains no money from him made it into my PayPal account. Maybe it was a computer error of some kind or something else, but all I have to go on is the fact that I did not get paid and his original attitude when I confronted him. It was like he didn't care and it was all just a joke. All the chatter after that seemed like he was just trying to cover his ass so I didn't damage his reputation by outing him publicly. He repeatedly asked me not to talk about him online.

If he proves me wrong I will apologize. But so far he has made no attempt to find out why his supposed payment never went through, laying that search on me. C'est la vie.
Any time they send a screenshot without asking if you'd received it first, you should be suspicious.

Jaden

Mensabum

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
I'm with Jay on this one, it was all fishy, at least Jay's version.

If the buyer Jacobs was indeed using PayPal linked only to a bank, and not with a credit card as a backup, then it does get sent as an e-check. That takes many days.

However, everyone who has ever used PayPal online has run into this over the years. If they didn't know about the delay, they would when the seller informed them their money was not received. Then they go and add a credit card as a backup funding source which makes it instant.

OR, they'd communicate with new sellers after that, that their payment will take several days. To please hold the item until received, then ship after.

If this buyer didn't do any of that, he was either trying to scam, OR, it was his first ever transaction on PP, and he didn't know the e-check takes a while.
I recently had a problem w pay pal bcuz I was unfamiliar with how to send the money. Friends and family threw me. I've only used pp twice in the past and uninstalled the app after those two. I had to reinstall it for this transaction as the seller wanted pp. This latest mess cost me a friend.
My fault. I should have famliarized myself with the options or asked for help b4 diving in.
I'm an old school money order kinda guy. If the seller won't accept a mo in the future, I don't need whatever it is they're selling that bad. Lol.
Live and learn. Money apps may have advantages, but for a fool like me, just not worth the aggravation.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
OK, dumb question time. I cut up all of my credit cards many years ago and just use my debit card anytime a credit card is needed. It looks like a credit card from a major player but has no value as a credit card since I never accept the credit card offers from the bank. Seems like people are more than happy to take it since I use it like a check book too and never spend more than I have in the bank.

If I back up the checking account with this credit card it is just a circular deal since the credit card is backed up by the checking account.

Can I get into confusion like Jay and this buyer? Seems kinda confusing just trying to explain it but I have made thousands of purchases like this over the years and can't remember anyone delaying shipping. Seems to work.

Hu

Badpenguin

OK, dumb question time. I cut up all of my credit cards many years ago and just use my debit card anytime a credit card is needed. It looks like a credit card from a major player but has no value as a credit card since I never accept the credit card offers from the bank. Seems like people are more than happy to take it since I use it like a check book too and never spend more than I have in the bank.

If I back up the checking account with this credit card it is just a circular deal since the credit card is backed up by the checking account.

Can I get into confusion like Jay and this buyer? Seems kinda confusing just trying to explain it but I have made thousands of purchases like this over the years and can't remember anyone delaying shipping. Seems to work.

Hu

I'm going to answer your question by asking a couple others. When that debit card gets compromised by scammers and they take the money associated with it (and by extension your checking account), how bad is that going to affect you? Will your bank pay the money back, and how long will that take?

I say when, not if. If you are using it online, or at gas stations, or restaurants, or anywhere, it will eventually get compromised. This is the world we live in, and is the cost of doing business in a networked world.

That being said, I only use credit cards for online transactions. They tend to have better fraud detection, they ask no questions for disputed charges under a certain amount, and I am not held financially responsible for fraudulent charges on their insecure networks. Even better, I buy visa gift cards from wal mart or wherever and use them for online transactions to limit my exposure.

Never, and I mean NEVER, use your ATM/Debit card for online transactions.

Just saying.

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If anyone wants to see this guy just search his name and lone star billiards. He crushes it on that tour!

a1712

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I had something similar happen that I was the Payee. I Venmo'd a payment to a guy for an item that he was going to deliver. I sent the money and forwarded a copy of the transaction. 2 hours later I received a message from him that he didn't have the money. I forwarded a copy of the transaction and a screen shot of the money withdrawn from my account. 4 hours later, he calls me saying I'm scamming him, remember, he's delivering the product. I tried to explain to him I couldn't possibly be scamming you when I won't receive anything unless you deliver it. I called my Bank to inquire what was going on and they said "a hold was placed on your transfer", no idea why that occurred. Well, the transaction never happened, I cancelled my payment and we both went our merry way. I didn't appreciate being called a Thief. Brian.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm going to answer your question by asking a couple others. When that debit card gets compromised by scammers and they take the money associated with it (and by extension your checking account), how bad is that going to affect you? Will your bank pay the money back, and how long will that take?

I say when, not if. If you are using it online, or at gas stations, or restaurants, or anywhere, it will eventually get compromised. This is the world we live in, and is the cost of doing business in a networked world.

That being said, I only use credit cards for online transactions. They tend to have better fraud detection, they ask no questions for disputed charges under a certain amount, and I am not held financially responsible for fraudulent charges on their insecure networks. Even better, I buy visa gift cards from wal mart or wherever and use them for online transactions to limit my exposure.

Never, and I mean NEVER, use your ATM/Debit card for online transactions.

Just saying.

My risks are limited. All I can or will say in public. If I need to make a larger purchase the risk is a matter of a few days or less.

Hu