Have you been accused of cheating?

Billy_Bob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What have other players "accused" you of doing cheating wise (when you were not intentionally doing whatever they accused you of doing)?

I am a good sport and don't cheat. I always rack the best I can, don't shark, etc. I want to win fair and square and by my skill alone...

But every once and a while, I get accused of "cheating" in some way or another. Usually it turns out that the person doing the accusing does these things themselves, so they think everybody else does these thing too. (Wrong!)

I have been "accused" of the following...

-Intentionally flipping a coin so that it would come up a certain way. (Truth: I'm not very good at flipping coins.)

-Intentionally scratching in a "bar rules" tournament. (Truth: I play mostly BCA rules tournaments and I try to avoid scratching always [so my opponent does not get ball-in-hand].)

-Intentionally giving a bad rack (Truth: I always rack the same - try to give the best rack possible. Also once I thought about what this person said, I remembed breaking many times when this guy had racked and frequently not breaking well. So I think *he* might be giving bad racks intentionally. BUT it does not amount to a hill of beans either way, since I *always* beat this guy - good rack or not. He is not a break and run-out player. I told the guy he has the right to inspect racks and ask for a re-rack. Next time I play him I think I will offer to let him rack his own balls. But again I will win as usual. (I can leave position for my next shot and he can't. Also I can run the whole table sometimes and he can't run more than 3 balls without missing a shot. So there is no contest.)

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
I was playing straight pool with a guy for money the other day and he fouled 2 or 3 times and it was very obvious that he did,like double hitting the cue ball,i waited for him to call foul himself but he didnt so i didnt bother,it was a friendly game for a few bucks and it was our first time meeting and playing but if and when we play again i will call him on any foul right away instead of waiting for him to fess up like a good guy would,some people........:mad:

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
I've been accused of marking the rail with a piece of chalk prior to making a bank shot. I was never aware of this practice until someone accused me of doing it. At a pro tour event several years ago I had an opponent accuse me of being too quiet. He said it drove him crazy. :confused:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will agree w/ those before me: usually such accusations come from those who are themselves...guilty!

JPB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Blackjack said:
I've been accused of marking the rail with a piece of chalk prior to making a bank shot. I was never aware of this practice until someone accused me of doing it. At a pro tour event several years ago I had an opponent accuse me of being too quiet. He said it drove him crazy. :confused:

I hope you just stared at him in silence when he said this.:)

Jack Madden

John Madden Cues
Silver Member
Blackjack said:

And if you were too loud, he would have accused you of being too loud and it drove him crazy. Either way, your concentration would be broke just 'cause he tried to "confuse you" and tried to effect the outcome of your game. You lose - he wins! JMHO

Jack
www.johnmaddencues.com

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Once - During a tournament, a guy accused me of touching the CB on my warm-up stroke. The guy went so ballistic he nearly convinced me I must have touched it. But how can i not have felt or seen it? Afterall im the one shooting it. Anyway it wasn't pleasant and the guy got thrown out of the pool room a few weeks later for mutiple offenses even though he was a pretty good friend of the manager.

Another time a guy briefly accused me of moving a ball with my hand while he was talking to someone but dropped it quickly when he realized how silly he was being.

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
I've accused other people....

I accused people of marking the table who then claimed they didn't know they were doing it. Whether they really didn't know it or not is and always will be a mystery. But trust me if a guy can only average three or four slight cut balls at a time but every time he has a tough side cut he chalks his cue a LOT and then proceeds to line up his cue in direct line about a half a balls length behind the OB and then aims and fires in a tough cut in the side, he's more than likely marking the table with his tip.....

MacGyver

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Heh... only time so far is by hustlers who liked to call "It hit off my ball before going in and you didnt call it"(billiard with their ball right outside the pocket) or things like that to throw me off my game or just to feign ignorance at the rules to make me think he couldnt play.(and I just wanted to be like "Oh come on you are a bad actor you've been trying to hook me for 30 minutes and you arent going to let me get on with that shot???")

That and another guy was convinced you had to actually call "safety" before playing a safety(without pocketing a ball), he went ballistic because of it....

CaptiveBred

C21H30O2
Silver Member
I get accused of "laying down" in handicapped tournaments. Sometimes I do but most of the time they say I'm "sand bagging" I am just knocking balls around waiting to go home. They stil say I'm cheating, though...

I have never been accused of cheating in any other form. Because I NEVER cheat. I play to be my best, not to win, so it is important that my wins come as clean as they can...

Tokyo-dave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was in a tournament where upon winning the lag, my opponenet racked the balls and then asked for permission to take a bathroom break. I said yes and waited. When he came back, I broke and aced the 9, and was accused of playing with the rack while he was gone.
His fault for leaving after he had racked, and not checking it when he came back. And my fault for letting him go to the bathroom before I broke. I should have asked him to wait until after the break.
I've also had guys forget the score in the middle of longer set matches and to then ask me "you're up six already? No way!"
dave

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Actually, once for a bad hit. My opponent didn't say I cheated but insinuated a bad hit (it really wasn't).

I actually have had a couple of occasions where I clearly fouled and my opponent didn't call it, and I didn't realize it until later, so it would have looked like I cheated.

One was on a push out. I double hit the cue ball. I was a little confused about it - since it was a push, but realized after the match it was a foul. My opponent let it go.

The other was on a thin cut where the cueball was very close to the rail, like maybe two inches. I thought I hit it good, my opponent said he thought it was a double, I prevailed. Afterward I practiced the shot and realized that it was 90%+ probably a double hit.

I feel pretty bad about those fouls - but I don't think either had much of an effect on the match. I'm just more careful now. For example, if I inadvertantly touch a ball, I inform my opponent.

Chris

Rude Dog

<---Dumb and Dumber
Tokyo-dave said:
I've also had guys forget the score in the middle of longer set matches and to then ask me "you're up six already? No way!"
dave
I've had that happen to me plenty of times. I play kinda fast and when I get on a roll, I can hit ya with 5 or 6 pretty damn quick. I've learned to remember each and every game so when this does happen, I'll point it all out to them. Peace, John.

(Rude Dog doesn't need to cheat to win, I just beat 'em up if I lose):D

frankncali

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The best (or worst) is with bad hits.
If you call something a bad hit some people will just deny it until the end and accuse you of needing to call something bad to win.
About 2 years ago a guy was argueing that he did not make a bad hit even though a couple others saw it as well. I set the balls up and showed him that it was impossible for the balls to go that way. His reply
was "that just because I play better does not mean a see better!" and that I was not a physicist.
I agreed and then asked him if Einstein was here and said that it was impossible would still argue. He said yes that he could still see better than him.

I think sometimes the better player catches the brunt of these type situations. People dont want to lose and they are reaching for reasons.

Its kind of like the above shot I mentioned. It was not really close so nobody called for someone to watch the hit. Afterwards the good player is
a d*&k for calling the foul and if he had called someone over he would have been a d*&k for calling someone.

Tiddler

AzB Silver Haired Member
Silver Member
Head Games

I was playing a fellow a few months who said, "That sounds like a bad hit to me." He hadn't even watched the shot, but felt it was time to get in my head. I started to argue, but then asked him if he was calling a foul. He countered with if it was bad I should call it. I told him if it was bad I would have called it and continued. However, his ploy worked and I didn't get out. I should have taken a minute to calm down before continuing, but didn't. Next time I'll take a bathroom break before starting again.

BarBoxBandit

Registered
Intentionally scratching in bar rules is cheating? Just the other day i made the 8 ball off the 1 ball and was told it wasnt legal. But it was in my bar where its call pocket