My idea of a beautiful cue

rikdee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Guess I didn't know I needed a cue today. Ordered it, first cue purchase in twenty years. And, I really like dealing with PoolDawg - great service and customer care as I purchased a table cover last month as well as items in the past. I own two other McD cues. Let's see if I did good....

DJKeys

Sound Design
Silver Member
Tascarella

I have been playing with this cue for four years, nothing comes close (except my Joey) Full-Splice wrapless Tasc Hoppe with ivory diamonds. Getting pretty beat up from use.

Shouldn't this go in the Cue Gallery?

-dj

Attachments

• 20200315_145514.jpg
    20200315_145514.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 277
  • 20200315_145539.jpg
    20200315_145539.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 286
  • photo0.jpg
    photo0.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 278
  • photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 283
  • photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 285
Last edited:

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Damn....I'm seeing a LOT of beautiful cues on display. Keep 'em coming fellas!

Maniac

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I have been playing with this cue for four years, nothing comes close (except my Joey) Full-Splice wrapless Tasc Hoppe with ivory diamonds. Getting pretty beat up from use.

Shouldn't this go in the Cue Gallery?

-dj

Damn, those are nice cues!
The tip on those two shafts look funny though. :D
My prettiest cue ever.

JC

Coos Cues
When I was just starting out being interested in building a cue Joey Bautista send me a box of wood scraps to practice on. I don't even think he made me pay the shipping.

A few years later I was digging through what was left in the box and there was this piece of maple. At the time I remember thinking OMG I can't imagine what his keeper wood looks like!

Then I realized he's just a groovy dude. Thanks Joey!

20-1.jpg

20-2.jpg

20-4.jpg

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
It won't be fancy, but it will have more than two types of woods in the forearm/collar/ringwork.

It doesn't have to have points, but if so, just natural wood or wood colors. I don't want a lot of loud colors in my cue.

This is the type of butt I find aesthetically pleasing: https://www.pooldawg.com/mcdermott-...term=4583382948366646&utm_content=Ad group #1
I'd love to own that butt, but I doubt at my age I'll ever add another cue/shaft to my collection.

What are your preferences? (pictures please)

Maniac (hopefully a thread that won't get combative)

The cue in your link is very nice, check out some of AZ member "JC" if you want to see some serious custom eye candy

Reactions: JC

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Darn you for bringing this up! You should be ashamed of yourself Maniac. :smile:

I've always liked that style of cue, simple design showing off the wood grain but with pretty rings. Dave Barenbrugge does that so well. see Breakandrun's example he posted below:

I no longer know what I like since I've converted to carbon fiber with a custom paint job.

Is that cue for sale? It’s beautiful

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For the most part I agree but there is nothing that goes better with spalted tamarind than good old fashioned black ebony. Every one of this wood combo I have made has been a hit.

024%20(1).jpg

004_(2).jpg

Can you send me a quote for that cue?
One shaft, radial pin

Jim

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It won't be fancy, but it will have more than two types of woods in the forearm/collar/ringwork.

It doesn't have to have points, but if so, just natural wood or wood colors. I don't want a lot of loud colors in my cue.

This is the type of butt I find aesthetically pleasing: https://www.pooldawg.com/mcdermott-...term=4583382948366646&utm_content=Ad group #1
I'd love to own that butt, but I doubt at my age I'll ever add another cue/shaft to my collection.

What are your preferences? (pictures please)

Maniac (hopefully a thread that won't get combative)

I agree, this is my taste as well...as a matter of fact all these cues posted on this thread have been my taste. I love ebony and birdseye maple to. Thanks for posting pics. I may have to try that McDermott.

9BallKY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good choice.

That is a beautiful combination of woods.

He does fantastic work, too.

Yes this wood combination is amazing together. Although JC didn’t make mine I do have a break cue he built for me. His cues do play really. A friend of mine traded for one somewhere and I have played some with it.

MooseKnuckle

Registered

Guess I didn't know I needed a cue today. Ordered it, first cue purchase in twenty years. And, I really like dealing with PoolDawg - great service and customer care as I purchased a table cover last month as well as items in the past. I own two other McD cues. Let's see if I did good....

This hobby is almost as bad as the gun forums :grin:

Also ordered from PoolDawg yesterday but for some simple 48" cues due to small room with the new table.

I can appreciate those nice cues, though, I have caviar taste on a beer budget. :sorry:

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am more of a Balabushka style man , I Love sharp points and diamond 's but I also like the Hoppe version 's as well. The Hoppe versions to me are simple but take you back to that era .

Pool is not a fashion show. Cue sticks are instruments.

Scratch85

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
This thread reminds of the ball collecting thread. I love looking at these beautiful cues. All the cues are works of beauty and Tate’s cue, pictured in post #3, keeps me going back for another look. I’m like many, not enough money to feed my desires, but love seeing them.

With that being said, I recently decided to replace my one-piece Dufferin house cues with some two-piece McDermott Lucky cues. One has a green speckled wrap, with what they call a cherry stain. It seems very light, honey colored to me, but looks great with the green speckles. I never thought I would like the green speckled wrap but this inexpensive cue has me second guessing my likes. I think it is the L9 cue. Again inexpensive and not near the class of the beauties in this thread but it has me seeing the good of green specks with wood.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

johnnysd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For the most part I agree but there is nothing that goes better with spalted tamarind than good old fashioned black ebony. Every one of this wood combo I have made has been a hit.

024%20(1).jpg

004_(2).jpg

You really need to make me a cue, we think so much alike I know you would make one I loved with no guidance from me.

I also completely agree with you on this combo. That does look awesome together. It really highlights the natural colors of the Spalted Tamaring. It's almost what I would picture the heartwood of Macassar ebony being if it was highly figured.