Efren uncorks a HUGE stroke -- bends the cue ball! (36-second clip)

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
Looks like just a force-follow shot to me.

Just not look- it is for sure. This has nothing to do with TOI or whatever. Good accelleration, and then finally you need also good cloth (not too worn out). That s it. No secret-just pure stroke quality.
Amen.

just kick'n

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"Dear Lord, forgive them, for they know not what they say." Efren, doing his magic. Efren got lucky. lol.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just not look- it is for sure. This has nothing to do with TOI or whatever. Good accelleration, and then finally you need also good cloth (not too worn out). That s it. No secret-just pure stroke quality.
Amen.

I was watching Efren preparing to break as his opponent was racking in a one pocket match and he was shooting the cue ball across the table from one side rail to the other with side English. I wondered how many in the audience realized what he was doing.

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks like Ef has played some billiards? in his days.

If not, that is incredible that he would see that shot.It is the best shot (if you have the stroke for it) since the other postion plays are problematic.
----------------------------------------------------
Not only incredible that he sees shots others might not, but that he so uncannily sees them instantly.

He's a master recreational chess player and at that game he likely processes his mental catalog of all the board moves he's ever seen, with that same special mental gift for immediate solutions that he so imaginatively displays on the pool table.

Here's another example of him instantly seeing (and flawlessly executing) an immediate solution that wouldn't occur to many players. It's a 46-second video clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zysdNbvvuvk&playnext=1&list=PL96A2EC94C02A36BF&feature=results_video

Arnaldo

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
just Inside English with a lot of acceleration.

short rail.......

Yes, the "inside" is essential to make the ball react in that manner. Not anything to do with TOI though, just Inside English with a lot of acceleration.

Last edited:

arps

tirador (ng pansit)
Silver Member
it's a sputnik shot. you can try that shot - put a lot of follow with left side spin (about 10:30-11 o'clock). the goal is to bounce the CB off the rail and then the top spin follows. it's easier if the object ball is near the rail. it's hard if it's the same distance as efren had on the video.
btw, efren did it intentionally.
(edited)

Last edited:

TSW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Of course it's intentional. Efren is the master at playing position into the line of the shot, even if that means he has to do something unconventional with the cue ball.

Once Efren clears the 7 ball, nothing can go wrong. He's perfectly in line with the 7 and if he goes too far, he bumps the 8 and is still good. That's why it's a brilliant play.

Also, that is probably brand new tournament cloth, which is why the cue ball rebounds so far off of the end rail before the follow takes, which makes the cue ball come close to the 7 and look riskier than it actually is.

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
it's a sputnik shot. you can try that shot - put a lot of follow with right side spin (about 10:30-11 o'clock). the goal is to bounce the CB off the rail and then the top spin follows. inside english is important. it's easier if the object ball is near the rail. it's hard if it's the same distance as efren had on the video.
btw, efren did it intentionally.

How is "10:30-11:00" right side spin?

8pack

They call me 2 county !
Silver Member
Hes try to pocket 9 ball :)

Thats what I thought to.lol Done it many times,made it just once though.:)

That maybe a good stroke but not huge by know means.
The closesness to the rail creates a super illusion.I could pull that off with a broom stick.:grin:

8balljohn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Magician indeed! A dazzling position play:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fTEx2ho2u0

Enjoy.

Arnaldo

I saw this for the first time about a month ago, thanks for posting it...never gets old! It was a pretty good stroke he put on it, but what's more impressive than the stroke is that fact that he thought about shooting it that way. The first time I saw it, I was scratching my head :confused: like, who thinks of shooting it that way?? Efren is the Magician, indeed!

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
You had it "right" the first time

i stand corrected. it's left hand spin. upper left on the cue ball for force follow-inside spin. :)

You had it "right" the first time, it's really high/right (inside)....you don't have to hit it that high if you accelerate through the ball quickly.

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
This thread got me shaking my headmore then afew times, there are seriouly a ton of people who know very little about how to play pool, and are not afraid to prove that with their "opinion" on a whether a shot was played at all (do you have any comprehension on how BAD Efren would have to "miss" whatever else he might have tried to get that result?) or what spin was used (how in gods green earth could upper LEFT make that shot?).

I spent the whole thread reading posts and wondering "not sure if sacastic...?" on every 3rd post.

8pack

They call me 2 county !
Silver Member
This thread got me shaking my headmore then afew times, there are seriouly a ton of people who know very little about how to play pool, and are not afraid to prove that with their "opinion" on a whether a shot was played at all (do you have any comprehension on how BAD Efren would have to "miss" whatever else he might have tried to get that result?) or what spin was used (how in gods green earth could upper LEFT make that shot?).

I spent the whole thread reading posts and wondering "not sure if sacastic...?" on every 3rd post.

They could of been looking towards Efren.:D
That would make left right and right is rite,rite?