APA love it or hate it?

Love or hate APA

• Yes I love being able to slop balls in.

Votes: 15 9.5%
  • No, I hate slop and being stuck with the suit that goes in on the break.

Votes: 68 43.0%
  • I don't care I will play whatever rules/league.

Votes: 61 38.6%
  • WTF is APA?

Votes: 14 8.9%

• Total voters

BigDogatLarge

Da pool gods are laughin'
Silver Member
Good and bad...

SpiderWebComm said:
Hate it. BCAPL all the way.

Love it or hate it, it is still a good entry level league to start with. We need new players from somewhere and the APA and Jr. APA give everyone a chance to play pool and grow into the best they can be. The problem is a win at all cost mentality. IMO

Dwight

DelaWho???

Banger McCue
Silver Member
It's the only game in town. Slop doesn't much factor into my game. I've lost more games to someone slopping something in than I have won. It doesn't seem to effect the outcome much. The better player usually wins.
The only time I hear anyone complain about slop is when they lose to a lower handicap who got the benefit of a couple rolls. That same player actually plays good and all of a sudden he's a sandbagger...

I enjoy the hell out of the APA. I would rather it be played by BCA rules, but everyone plays by the same rules. I'll take the lucky rolls when they come my way, and I won't begrudge you your luck at the table.

I'm glad I have a league to play in.

B

s'portplayer

Midnight Rambler
Silver Member
Love it

I love, but not for slopping balls, hell the pros slop balls in from time to time.

I love the APA because it gives alot of people the opportunity to competitively play pool in a way that otherwise be impossible. The APA also brings alot of new folks into pool that may have never even picked up a cue and that is what this game needs, new interest.

There are obviously facts that I dont like about APA, but that will be with any league or organization.

Pete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The APA is good for social and beggining players. Don't get me wrong here, there are some really strong players in th APA. I just feel that the way it is run, it doesn't encourage people to be the players they can truly be. 23 points for a team means you can have 4 fives, and a three. Once you hit the five or six mark no one really wants you on the team, and the oppsing team always trys to use there throw awya player "the dredded 2". They know they are going to loose any way, so why not through them to the wolfs.

I didn't care for it at Good Times.

Just my two cents.

Pete

LeagueShirts

I make pool stuff!
Silver Member
Yeah, the biggest problem we have is the 'growing too fast' issue. Every session we have to reform the team b/c we get better. We can't keep a roster down, we get better, sorry! Last session we had 5 5's because we all learned more. I'm going to be a 6 any week now, then we'll be choked again. Certainly can't rely on the Lv2/3 women, they choke too often. That's the most frustrating aspect. Our coach couldn't even play in our cities because our points were choked.

stevea

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like playing in the APA but I love playing in other leagues and tournaments with different rules then the APA but I still have a APA night for 8ball.

My team has been luck enough to stay together for the most part for the last 4 or 5 years (not sessions but years). But that is because no one on my team besides me and my wife actually practice so no one on my team is getting better, they haven't moved around to much with there numbers so we are able to stay together. If they don't want to get better thats fine with me because we are a strong team the way we are.

Dawgie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ilike the APA:D I like the BCA:grin-square:

Both leagues are there to introduce the sport to the newcomer to pool. As you progress up the scale it gives you a chance to help others who are just learning. It gives me great pleasure to see someone smile when the proverbial light goes on and they see why the balls do what they do.:thumbup:

Love it or hate it, the leagues are there mostly for the benefit of the beginners and to let everyone have fun. It's also a great time to socialize and meet other players.:wink:

windward

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Try TAP

Try the TAP format. APA style races, handicap levels in 8 ball, still 2 through 7, call pocket, open on the break.

And best of all the handicap limit is 25. Those two extra points make a big difference in keeping a team together.

bigskyjake

you heard the man
Silver Member
windward said:
Try the TAP format. APA style races, handicap levels in 8 ball, still 2 through 7, call pocket, open on the break.

And best of all the handicap limit is 25. Those two extra points make a big difference in keeping a team together.

and enough paperwork to keep everybody pissed off all the time

Cuebacca

________
Silver Member
I think 8-ball should be call pocket, open after the break, but if there was an APA around where I live, I'd probably try it out anyway, so I answered "I don't care" (even though I do care).

There are some changes I'd like to make to how my local BCA league is set up too. Unfortunately, they don't use the same format here as they do in Vegas. :rolleyes:

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey young man...you forgot to include a catagory for people who LOVE APA! After all, that was the title of your thread, wasn't it? The catagory of "I'll play anything" doesn't cover those guys & gals who really enjoy APA...and are NOT slop players! Truth is, very few matches are won or lost on slop shots. :D Say hi to your dad for me!

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

railfirst said:
just like the title says answer the question.

Ben

Last edited:

railfirst

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Scott Lee said:
Hey young man...you forgot to include a catagory for people who LOVE APA! After all, that was the title of your thread, wasn't it? The catagory of "I'll play anything" doesn't cover those guys & gals who really enjoy APA...and are NOT slop players! Truth is, very few matches are won or lost on slop shots. :D Say hi to your dad for me!

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com
lol, i thought the first choice covered it, if you love apa you love slop imho. i will say hi to him and yell at him to do his mother drills, he has been slacking.

Ben

Flettir

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool

I just love to play pool!!! I don't care if it is APA, BCA, TAP or special bar rules of "Bank the 8 into the Last Pocket". Just tell me what they are up front and I will try my best to beat you with whatever rules I am given. As long as we both use the same rules whatever they are it will be a fair game.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Gregg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by windward

and enough paperwork to keep everybody pissed off all the time

And skill levels flat out all over the place. I've seen players who are outclassed by other shooter who happen to be the same skill level. I realize nothing is perfect, but when you are recording every shot on the table being made, you would think they would have a handle on things.

Hmmm, 250,000 members $15 dues now going up to $20

APA $600,000 National Team Championships - WOW ! maybe.

$15 x 250,000 members = $3,750,000 in Dues going up to $5,000,000 per year

Weekly fees = guestimat = $5 x 200,000 members x 36 weeks = $36,000,000 per year

And they only give back $600,000.

Sure I know there are expenses but $41,000,000 yes thats $41 Million Dollars in revenues -versus- $600,000 payback. What a JOKE.

Cant say I like the APA

JDB

Idiot Savant
Silver Member
railfirst said:
bump for some more responses/votes.

Ben
I like the APA... There I said it...lol.

The APA is a great avenue to meet new people when moving to a new location and hang out with friends playing pool a night or two a week. In addition, it is a great way to improve your game if you want to. Not everyone is interested in improving there game and that is ok, but you can improve your game in the APA. It also provides a great opportunity to play with your wife or significant other, which some of the higher level leagues do not provide unless your wife is a very good player too.

I like the format better than BCA because I would rather play races than play, sit, play, sit, etc.

Although I would like to see some changes in the APA Rules, increase 23 rule, pushout in 9 ball and open break in 8 ball, overall I think the APA is a lot of fun.

Most people who bash the APA talk about allowing slop... which I find funny. Rarely is a match decided due to slop and most people bashing the slop are higher level 9 ball players where slop is allowed...lol.