Distractions at the U.S. Open

5am

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There's lots of distractions to players at the Open, mostly unintentional, but distractions none the less -- people constantly moving past tables as they come and come go, cameras that flash now and then (despite warning of "no flash photography please", the odd crash or two, people talking loudly at times. Mostly the players just deal with it or occasionally scowl at some offender.

A couple of what I thought were really bad ones though happened on the last day in the finals.

I sat through the Alex P. vs Darren Appleton match this afternoon in the tv arena section. I think Darren was up 8 or 9 to Alex's 6. Came a shot on the six ball down by the corner pocket with two other balls within inches. Whatever Alex was trying to do he took a while to think it out, got down to shot, began to stroke and about the time he pulled the trigger some guy in the top row of tv seats just behind me got a phone call. He had some kind of musical ringtone. He couldn't turn it off. The whole arena heard it because otherwise the place was silent as church waiting to see what Alex was going to do. Alex missed the shot. The music kept playing for another two minutes while the guy tried to turn it off.

As I recall Alex never shot again or perhaps he got one more shot. In any case, he was toast after the phone incident. Sadly, I think the match turned against Alex on that one incident. Alex handled it well at the time, telling the guy "I told you to do that when he's shooting," pointing at Darren. He got a laugh, but he was clearly bothered the incident happened when it did.

--Earlier in the same match, Shawn Putnam was playing Dennis Hatch on a table to the side of the tv table featuring the Alex - Darren match. When Shawn went up 4-0 against Dennis, the floor announcer gets on his mic to tell everyone that Shawn had just "derailed the D train." Maybe it was just my imagination, but it seemed to me that Dennis visibly slumped for a second. Now who really needs to be told during an intense and important match that they've been "derailed." It was an unnecessary announcement that didn't tell the spectators anything they couldn't already see. Shawn went on to knock Dennis right out of further contention. (The announcer was a pretty good guy in general, but still, dude, what the hey!)

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
There's lots of distractions to players at the Open, mostly unintentional, but distractions none the less -- people constantly moving past tables as they come and come go, cameras that flash now and then (despite warning of "no flash photography please", the odd crash or two, people talking loudly at times. Mostly the players just deal with it or occasionally scowl at some offender.

A couple of what I thought were really bad ones though happened on the last day in the finals.

I sat through the Alex P. vs Darren Appleton match this afternoon in the tv arena section. I think Darren was up 8 or 9 to Alex's 6. Came a shot on the six ball down by the corner pocket with two other balls within inches. Whatever Alex was trying to do he took a while to think it out, got down to shot, began to stroke and about the time he pulled the trigger some guy in the top row of tv seats just behind me got a phone call. He had some kind of musical ringtone. He couldn't turn it off. The whole arena heard it because otherwise the place was silent as church waiting to see what Alex was going to do. Alex missed the shot. The music kept playing for another two minutes while the guy tried to turn it off.

As I recall Alex never shot again or perhaps he got one more shot. In any case, he was toast after the phone incident. Sadly, I think the match turned against Alex on that one incident. Alex handled it well at the time, telling the guy "I told you to do that when he's shooting," pointing at Darren. He got a laugh, but he was clearly bothered the incident happened when it did.

--Earlier in the same match, Shawn Putnam was playing Dennis Hatch on a table to the side of the tv table featuring the Alex - Darren match. When Shawn went up 4-0 against Dennis, the floor announcer gets on his mic to tell everyone that Shawn had just "derailed the D train." Maybe it was just my imagination, but it seemed to me that Dennis visibly slumped for a second. Now who really needs to be told during an intense and important match that they've been "derailed." It was an unnecessary announcement that didn't tell the spectators anything they couldn't already see. Shawn went on to knock Dennis right out of further contention. (The announcer was a pretty good guy in general, but still, dude, what the hey!)

WOW! Thank you for these two very interesting and sad distractions. As you said, in your estimation both of these clearly distrubed the two opponents mentioned. If that's the case, it is sad indeed.

It's always nice to hear from the boots on the ground.

Anyone else that was at the tournament have any perspectives about distractions at the Open?

Matt_d

Registered
There will always be distractions that players have to put up with but the another fatiguing hatch had been derailed is pretty bad. He should have known better I think that would throw anyone off.

C.Milian

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thats funny I'm a Alex fan now

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
There will always be distractions that players have to put up with but the another fatiguing hatch had been derailed is pretty bad. He should have known better I think that would throw anyone off.

I may have been a distraction to the rest of the tournament if the "floor announcer" had said that about me, I'm sorry to say. What the hell is a floor announcer and who was it? Was the "floor announcer" just trying to add a little frivolity to the tournament? Why would he say such a thing? Commentators sometimes say such things but seldom anyone else in an event of this type, especially on a speaker system where everyone can hear it. For the life of me, I can imagine why someone would make a loud, public announcement of this sort. To say, this post has my curiosity up, would be an understatement. Wish I had been there to hear it and see it.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
I may have been a distraction to the rest of the tournament if the "floor announcer" had said that about me, I'm sorry to say. What the hell is a floor announcer and who was it? Was the "floor announcer" just trying to add a little frivolity to the tournament? Why would he say such a thing? Commentators sometimes say such things but seldom anyone else in an event of this type, especially on a speaker system where everyone can hear it. For the life of me, I can imagine why someone would make a loud, public announcement of this sort. To say, this post has my curiosity up, would be an understatement. Wish I had been there to hear it and see it.

I don't know who made this anouncement, but Barry had a floor mic in his hand most of the day. Johnnyt

poolcuemaster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I totally agree that Alex is the guy with the cool attitude and can shake most things off but it was still wrong not to have the phone on vibrate only. The thing with Hatch was not cool in any way even if the floor guy was one of Dennis's friends and just ribbing him, I hope the floor guy gets this back ten fold. It could have cost Hatch a bunch of money difference and a priceless US Open title.--Leonard

EL'nino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know who made this anouncement, but Barry had a floor mic in his hand most of the day. Johnnyt

It was Jay Halfert.... I was furious at him for saying that in the middle of a match. Very unprofessional!!!!!:angry:

BobTfromIL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I watched a couple of nights and the thing that I noticed that seemed rather strange was how many people sitting at the match seemed not be paying any attention to it. Not everyone of course, but enough that it was noticeable.
But then again I notice when playing leagues that very few of the matches are closely watched, including times when the opponent is also not paying attention.

Papa Red

Love it or Leave
Silver Member
All player can take notes from Alex, he always has fun when he is playing no matter how important the match. I have watched many streams and some in person and it does not matter whats on the line, his number one thing is enjoying playing and playing to the crowd. If everyone had this type of attitude then maybe pool could get better sponsorship and get out of the cellar.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

These players are tougher then you give them credit for. They are not going to fall apart if someone moves or talks. For the most part, like 99.9%, people are very respectful and of course the occasional unintended incident. Cell phones are a newer problem though and do need to be addressed with an announcement before each match to have cell phones on vibrate.

I was just at the Cleveland Clinic and in the waiting room at one point I counted 7 people on their cell phones and all talking in a normal to loud voice. You could not even hear your name called when the nurse came out. On the wall, a sign to not use cell phones in the waiting room. Go figure, even if you tell them in no uncertain terms some people just don't get it.

inside_english

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I was at the Open all week and left on Saturday morning.
During the week there were SEVERAL incidents where some JACKASS had their phone go off during a match!

To make matters worse, instead of fumbling to turn it off, they decide to take the call...and of course they speak way too loudly!

Hard to resist the urge to shove that phone down their throats...or up their a$$!

Plus...since I am ranting...if you're gonna take up a seat to watch a match, then WATCH it!!!
Don't bury your face in your phone for almost the entire length of the match. Someone else who is more appreciative of their surroundings might enjoy that seat you're wasting!

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I was the on the mic doing most of the announcing this week. And I was the one who said that Shawn had derailed the D-Train, after he won the first five games in quick fashion! I had been calling Dennis the D-Train all week and he loved it. Contrary to what the OP said here, Dennis was not bothered by anything I said as much as he was by way the match was going. NONE of the players had a problem with my announcing. In fact they liked what I had to say, especially in their introductions. I don't remember any other event where I got so many compliments from spectators about my announcing. It's easy to align with one guy who has something bad to say. I just wish some of the favorable comments could be heard as well. I'm not making any excuses for the job I did this week. In fact I'm damn proud of my work!

spanky79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was the on the mic doing most of the announcing this week. And I was the one who said that Shawn had derailed the D-Train, after he won the first five games in quick fashion! I had been calling Dennis the D-Train all week and he loved it. Contrary to what the OP said here, Dennis was not bothered by anything I said as much as he was by way the match was going. NONE of the players had a problem with my announcing. In fact they liked what I had to say, especially in their introductions. I don't remember any other event where I got so many compliments from spectators about my announcing. It's easy to align with one guy who has something bad to say. I just wish some of the favorable comments could be heard as well. I'm not making any excuses for the job I did this week. In fact I'm damn proud of my work!

Jay, I was not there so I have no idea how it was said and how if affected things. But, if you where playing would you really want someone bringing up the fact that you are getting run over before the match is over? You know I like your style and like working with you when we get the chance. It's just a thought from the outside looking in. The timing is the only thing I see that could be criticised at all.

Matt90

Trust the Process
Silver Member
cell phones !!

It should be a mandatory rule that anyone with a cell phone that is not turned to silent in the stands will be asked to leave the tournament if the phone goes off during a match.
On a side note or a story from my past : At the Smoky Mtn Shoot Out a few years back I was setting on the Aluminum bleachers watching a tough match Stevie Moore was playing in .My metal case cell phone fell out of my pocket and BAMM !! fell down two or three steps of the bleachers during a crucial shot for Stevie. Stevie never lost focus ,made a nice "it's cool " gesture to me , and proceeded to win the match.

UrackmIcrackm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I was not at the Open last week but I did get 2 messages from a friend that was there on 2 different nights in regards to things you were saying on the mic.

I'm not saying this to be rude, I don't know you or have anything against you, but I don't think your commentary on the mic was as appreciated as you think it was.

Brian in VA

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
FWIW I was there and I thought it was unprofessional, too. Just made it sound like a prize fight or a small tournament at the local tavern instead of the national championship. That's just one guy, who is a spectator and supporter of the game, that has an opinion.

If the players had no problem with it then I'll gladly stand aside and live with it.

Brian in VA

5am

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Jay, I thought you did a bang up job as you yourself say. But I did think your comment on the D train was an unnecessary distraction. That's all I meant to imply. So hopefully we can agree to disagree.

OnTheMF

I know things
Silver Member
And I was the one who said that Shawn had derailed the D-Train, after he won the first five games in quick fashion! I had been calling Dennis the D-Train all week and he loved it. Contrary to what the OP said here, Dennis was not bothered by anything I said as much as he was by way the match was going. NONE of the players had a problem with my announcing.

I can't believe you think it was OK. That's what shocks me the most. As an announcer you should be bipartisan and professional.