Congats To Rodney Morris in HOF

billiardthought

Anti-intellectualism
Silver Member
Congrats to the Rocket on this accomplishment. Johnny, I agree that adding in the 4 year bit was kind of low. We all get it, and it should have been forgotten.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
this is just one of many reasons pool is going nowhere.
we glorify the criminals and sleaze balls in the game.
sponsors really want to hop on that train.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I see no need to write why he missed 4 years of pool. He's paid that in full...leave it alone. Johnnyt

I agree, insensitive journalism. No need for that in a press release. Congrats to Rodney!

Last edited:

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member

Agreed......when little guys know things bet money that big important people also know.....I've only seen more reasons for sponsors to act like pool is a plague as I've gotten older. Hope he enjoys his cake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

This is quite harsh. Rodney made a mistake years ago, did his time, and apparently has behaved well since. At some point he needs to be forgiven. He seems like a genuinely nice guy who treats others well.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
I'm gonna pretend I'm in that other thread......and keep my nose out of it - none of my business.
Jason

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
The guy paid his debts and we are talking over 20 years ago. He has grown up and changed. He is a family man and loves his children. I know him fairly well and he is a good person who is nice to everyone he meets treating people with respect.

The thing is I doubt you know him personally or have even met the guy but if you did you wouldn't be speaking of him as you are. I guess some people don't believe people can make a mistake and truly change to become a good contributing member of society. :(

WGDave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From Rodney's Facebook:

Wow, this is pretty amazing. I'm officially gonna be introduced into the Billiard Congress of America Hall of Fame!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm very emotional right now just thinking about this past three decades of playing pool and doing what I love. Now I get recognition like this? Unreal. Never ever once thought about something like this being possible for me. I was just a poor lost soul when I walked into Hawaiian Brians Billiards in 1986. That pool table intrigued me and playing pool somehow brought me peace and I fell in love instantly. I'm living proof that your background, financial situation, or any other troubles you are facing, never have to be a reason to give up on your dreams.........I'm in absolute awe of all the past Hall of Famers that came before me, and to think that I'm actually now in that brotherhood........well, that's just surreal and I can't thank the media who voted for me and my fellow living Hall of Famers. I'm honored and proud right now.........I decided not to tag anyone, because I want anyone reading this to consider yourself tagged. I'll work hard on my speech for October and I hope to be able to remember to speak about everyone that has helped and guided me in my life and career. There's so many of you. I'm so happy right now I could go chase pokemons!!!!!!!!!!! Woohoo:)

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Disagree, it is an important part of his life story that would have been inappropriate not to include. He refers obliquely but obviously to it himself:

“It is validation and recognition of all the years and hard work I’ve put into this game. Getting into the Billiard Congress of America Hall of Fame is especially gratifying because I came from a broken home, was raised on the streets and made just about every mistake you can make. But I persevered, which proves that everyone can do something great it they dedicate themselves to it.”

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
The guy paid his debts and we are talking over 20 years ago. He has grown up and changed. He is a family man and loves his children. I know him fairly well and he is a good person who is nice to everyone he meets treating people with respect.
The thing is I doubt you know him personally or have even met the guy but if you did you wouldn't be speaking of him as you are. I guess some people don't believe people can make a mistake and truly change to become a good contributing member of society. :
(

I think you need to re-read measureman's response. There is more at stake here than happy days for Mr. Morris.

WGDave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I think if you met Rodney, like most, you would change your opinion.

Andy Billiard Cloth has no problems sponsoring him :wink:

WGDave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As far as pool's image goes, Rodney is the one of the few that dress to impress at tournaments.

The exception being at Hard Times Bellflower where it is a sweat box most of the time.

Attachments

• rodney.jpg
    rodney.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 539

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

But don't all the successful commercialized sports do that?

Football, baseball, basketball, hockey, how about the explosion of the value of MMA?

Talk about glorifying sleeze balls...heck the fans do it! And the sponsors come running!

Sure, cross a certain line and you could lose sponsorship deals, but those industries are founded, built, and maintained on, for, and by sleeze balls.

I don't think there is anything wrong in mentioning it. It is a story of success, of recovering from a major bump in life, a story of hope fulfilled. People need that.

A remorseful and rededicated Morris returned to the game in 2001 and won the year-ending Sands Regency Open.

Just my take on it.

Bravo for him. Bravo. :thumbup:

VIProfessor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd like to join in enthusiastic congratulations to Rodney on his well-deserved election to the Hall of Fame. He has clearly been one of our greatest players for nearly three decades and he has been a good ambassador of the sport. I met him in Vegas a few years ago and was able to confirm from personal experience that he's one of the good guys in the sport.

Now... I have a few questions, with all respect, to those who feel his "vacation" in the late nineties should have been a disqualifier.

1. Is he running for President or something? (And if it comes to that, I would hesitate to say that he suffers in comparison to either major candidate in terms of moral conduct)
2. If we talk about the image of the sport, aren't there many major sports in which stars have been convicted of one offense or another? If we take boxing, for example, can we say Sonny Liston and Mike Tyson?
3. How long, and how many times, must a man pay for a non-violent offense that took place in his youth and that had no relation to the sport?
4. How does an old drug conviction compare, in terms of damage to the sport, with the infamous debacle at the first Challenge of Champions?

Be happy for the man. He earned it!

Last edited:

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
I think you need to re-read measureman's response. There is more at stake here than happy days for Mr. Morris.

I think people need to realize that one part of a mans life doesn't define him. Morris will be remembered mainly for the champion player he is and now a Hall of Famer. :thumbup:

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Rodney is a great guy, who plays pool at an extremely high level. He is also one funny guy if you follow his posts on FB.

Personally, I think this year, he is USA Mosconi Cup Team bound, unless Hawaii is part of Europe.

JoeyA

KAP1976

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Hasn't stopped sponsors from tossing money at Baylor and Penn State University football.