Judd Trump's weird lining and stroke

AlienObserver

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've noticed lately that one of the top snooker players has developed a very unorthodox way of lining up his shots.

It seems that Trump when lining the shot, he aims at the extreme right of the cue ball, and just before the final delivery of the cue, he changes his line and addresses the cue ball at the center.

https://youtu.be/a9Xz8-ARzS4?t=2h9m17s

(there are countless examples in this video. without an exception, every time the camera is on the line of the shot his alignment is very apparent.
Just to name a few others: 1:27:04, 1:11:46, 1:11:58, 1:14:07 etc etc, I'm telling you he does this every single shot!)

My questions:
Why does he do that?? I actually went back to verify, and he wasn't doing that some years ago when he was potting balls from anywhere on the table (most notably during the 2011 World Championship, where he reached the final, something he hasn't done since)

How on earth does he do that and still be a top snooker player?

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Certainly looks strange. It looks like Judd moves the cue back to where it should be during his final stroke forward.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I know a snooker player who has run a lot of centuries...
...he cues to the far right to hit center ball.
He says he wants to see where he has to hit...he keeps the cue out of the way.

O'SulliReyes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm a left handed player like him, and on bad days I tend to apply accidental left-hand side on the cue ball.

I think the same thing happens with Judd, and he is fully aware of it. But instead of trying to eliminate that problem of applying unwanted side, I think he worked around it. So if he wants to apply a centre ball force draw or a force follow he will line up further to the right of the cue ball because he knows the more severe body movement caused by such shots will cause the cue to move the same tip distance to the left. The amount of right hand pivot depends on the pace of the shot.

That's why force follow/draw are a main feature of his game, because I think he knows pretty much where to line up for those shots. But when the pressure is on and he needs a more delicate cue ball he will tend to miss the easy shots because he has more difficulty judging the amount of pivoting required. The video shared by the thread starter highlights this problem--you can see that he misjudged the pivot for that normal pace shot, hence leading to a miss on a rather relatively easy pot.

Last edited:

AlienObserver

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The thing that i don't understand is that he wasn't doing that since the start of his career, and he wasn't exactly a bad player when he wasn't doing that. I don't think that he would reach the World's final if he was applying unwanted side spin. He was potting literally everything at that time. Why change something that works?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The thing that i don't understand is that he wasn't doing that since the start of his career, and he wasn't exactly a bad player when he wasn't doing that. I don't think that he would reach the World's final if he was applying unwanted side spin. He was potting literally everything at that time. Why change something that works?
He probably got hammered one night and found his way to AZ's Aiming Section.

LeonD123

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Peter ebdon is first commentator I have heard notice this too. He was saying it is to do with his right eye dominance playing left handed and is the reason he can miss long power shots near the cushion. I vaguely seem to remember Jimmy White had a similar side swipe in his cue action.

Pangit

Banned
Judd is my favourite Trump...bar none. And there isn't a race for second place. His hair do has always been way better than the one the Orange Julius has.

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
I've noticed lately that one of the top snooker players has developed a very unorthodox way of lining up his shots.

It seems that Trump when lining the shot, he aims at the extreme right of the cue ball, and just before the final delivery of the cue, he changes his line and addresses the cue ball at the center.

https://youtu.be/a9Xz8-ARzS4?t=2h9m17s

(there are countless examples in this video. without an exception, every time the camera is on the line of the shot his alignment is very apparent.
Just to name a few others: 1:27:04, 1:11:46, 1:11:58, 1:14:07 etc etc, I'm telling you he does this every single shot!)

He almost always pivots from the inside of the cut shot line... http://forums.azbilliards.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=409940&1453742848

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
He almost always pivots from the inside of the cut shot line... http://forums.azbilliards.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=409940&1453742848

I think he consistently lines up to the right of where he is going to hit the cue ball and then on the forward stroke (or maybe partly on the backstroke), he pulls his back hand towards his body and the tip hits to the left (from his viewpoint) of where he addressed the cue ball. I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with whether he is cutting a ball to the left or right.

I do the same thing but it is left to right on the cue ball since I'm left eye dominant and right handed. I think I would much rather have a straight stroke.

AlienObserver, is there any video on-line of when Judd Trump did not swerve on the power stroke?

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
that's actually funny to me because I recently took a pool lesson and the instructor noticed that I aim center when I'm down but always apply right to the cue ball when I strike it. It's something that I've been trying to fix since that lesson but it's not going away. I may have to try something like this to see if I can counter it.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Jimmy Moore also did the same thing. It looked crazy the way he lined up on the bottom right of the cue ball and then delivered a perfect hit time after time.