Cue building classes?

raven5000

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was wondering if there are any cue building classes out there? How yo build a cue from beginning to end. Also how to cut would so it doesnt warp? I have no experience building che but i would like to start as a side hobby. Any help greatly appreciated.

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I was wondering if there are any cue building classes out there? How yo build a cue from beginning to end. Also how to cut would so it doesnt warp? I have no experience building che but i would like to start as a side hobby. Any help greatly appreciated.

I don't know of any classes per se, but there is a lot of information on you-tube, books, instructional videos, and plenty of really good people right here on this sight, who often times answer questions, and offer tidbits of advice, and direction. Good luck to you. :cool:
j2

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yes, there are.

Several cue makers offer them.

Google is your friend. :wink:

Thanks for the assist Doc. :D Looks like Google and I need to rekindle our friendship. :wink:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the assist Doc. :D Looks like Google and I need to rekindle our friendship. :wink:

LOL!

I knew there were some but could not remember who. So I Googled it.

I think it would be nice some time if we would see a review of such a class. I have no idea how many actually take such classes though. Probably not a lot I would think.

As you pointed out there are a lot of resources on Youtube, and lots of really good advice right here as well.

Even if one does not intend to build cues I think it is a very interesting field.

TomHay

Best Tips For Less
Gold Member
Silver Member

I would say you are looking at the most expensive side hobby there is next to collecting Mercedes LOL

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I can share some of what I have learned.
First of all: It`s expensive to get the machinery needed to build cues, event quite basic ones.

Secondly: You need a dedicated space, prefreably on the ground floor or somwhere you easily can get heavy stuff like lathes in and out.

Thirdly: It`s messy work, make sure you have airfilters, a good shop vac and personal protection such as a respiratory mask, latex gloves, eyewear and hearing protection.

Assuming you have the space, you can get a good 12"x36" or 13"x40" metal lathe for a reasonable price (around $4000)
Apart from needing a rear chuck, something like a Grizzly 12"x36" is good to go right out of the box, sure you will need to tweak it and dial it in, but it`s accurate enough for the job as it is.
You will need a solution for doing tapers. This can be done on the lathe or on a separate lathe, expect prices to start at around $1000 for that.
Then it`s the "hidden" costs, you will need taps, carbide drill bit and reamers, demning drill bits, measuring equipment, gauge pins, indexable cutting tools, solid carbide boring bars for detail work. You can spring for a BXA quick change toolpost right away, you need a router or two. A Kress is about $300-400 and you will need to make or have made mounting brackets.
Then you need all kinds of glue, epoxy, oils etc.
You will need the cue hardware like joint pins etc.
You will need a compressor and a HVLP spray system.
And you will need a bit of wood to get you going.

Broken down it looks like this:
Lathe - $4000
Tapering setup - $1000-3000
Misc. machinery like bandsaw, buffingwheel etc - $2000-up
Compressor and spray system - $500-up
Misc tools - $1500-up
Cue hardware - $1500-up
Wood - $1000-up

So with a conservative estimate, the startup costs is about $10.000, much likely alot more...

As for cue bulding classes, I have read about cuemakers offering courses, not sure if any one still does this though...
But the point is, you don`t need a cue building class. You can take a course or two in machining and operating a lathe, because that`s what cuemaking really is...

It`s great fun, somewhat frustrating, always challenging and quite expensive as a hobby, but if you have a market around you for repairs and such, you will likely break even after a few years if you work hard at it and don`t bite over more than you can chew.

Last edited:

pescadoman

Randy
Silver Member
Thomas Wayne once said if you spend 10k(that's what it was I think) he'd teach you for free. Things have changed in his life since then though...

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Where are you at

What state or city are you in ? I take it you have never been a machinist ?
Are you accident prone ?
Do you have any reactions to any woods or its sawdust ?

There is zero reason to ever get started in making cues if you are allergic any of the woods dust......................................

And you will not know that until you are turning wood and making saw dust .

raven5000

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Im in san francisco thanks for the info. I have nice size basement with about 6 work benches that could be cleaned off for lathes. I know its expensive ive heard about 10k to start but i would say double that if im serious. Still thinking brainstorming on the idea.

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
With in 100 mile

Im in san francisco thanks for the info. I have nice size basement with about 6 work benches that could be cleaned off for lathes. I know its expensive ive heard about 10k to start but i would say double that if im serious. Still thinking brainstorming on the idea.

There are allot of cuemakers in that general area ..lots and lots of cue makers.

I will send you a pm .

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
First of all: It`s expensive to get the machinery needed to build cues, event quite basic ones.

Secondly: You need a dedicated space, prefreably on the ground floor or somwhere you easily can get heavy stuff like lathes in and out.

Thirdly: It`s messy work, make sure you have airfilters, a good shop vac and personal protection such as a respiratory mask, latex gloves, eyewear and hearing protection.

Assuming you have the space, you can get a good 12"x36" or 13"x40" metal lathe for a reasonable price (around $4000)
Apart from needing a rear chuck, something like a Grizzly 12"x36" is good to go right out of the box, sure you will need to tweak it and dial it in, but it`s accurate enough for the job as it is.
You will need a solution for doing tapers. This can be done on the lathe or on a separate lathe, expect prices to start at around $1000 for that.
Then it`s the "hidden" costs, you will need taps, carbide drill bit and reamers, demning drill bits, measuring equipment, gauge pins, indexable cutting tools, solid carbide boring bars for detail work. You can spring for a BXA quick change toolpost right away, you need a router or two. A Kress is about $300-400 and you will need to make or have made mounting brackets.

Lathe - $4000
Misc tools - $1500-up
Cue hardware - $1500-up
Wood - $1000-up

So with a conservative estimate, the startup costs is about $10.000, much likely alot more...

As for cue bulding classes, I have read about cuemakers offering courses, not sure if any one still does this though...
But the point is, you don`t need a cue building class. You can take a course or two in machining and operating a lathe, because that`s what cuemaking really is...

It`s great fun, somewhat frustrating, always challenging and quite expensive as a hobby, but if you have a market around you for repairs and such, you will likely break even after a few years if you work hard at it and don`t bite over more than you can chew.

Seems like a pretty fair assessment Kim. Great post, and insight. :cool:
j2

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Gold Member
Silver Member
Too bad "$2000 and you make me breakfast and you can have a cue in twelve weeks" isn't still available!! I've considered calling and asking for the cat to see if he will personally invite me, but I don't cook and don't eat breakfast for lunch. I'll get my hands on one someday Mr Dieckman, but if you still only need 2k, I'll pack my bags, too bad I can't find the video!!

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member

Lathe - $4000
Misc tools - $1500-up
Cue hardware - $1500-up
Wood - $1000-up

Good advice and pretty accurate........... the only thing I would change is to take out the lathe and tapering setup and get a Hightower Deluxe lathe .......... that would save several thousand dollars and a thousand pounds .................

Kim

john coloccia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good advice and pretty accurate........... the only thing I would change is to take out the lathe and tapering setup and get a Hightower Deluxe lathe .......... that would save several thousand dollars and a thousand pounds .................

Kim

+1000

I'm a total beginner at this. I've had my Hightower about a month or so. I've already built my first cue and I'm busy processing wood and getting it in the pipeline so it will be ready when I am. If I had a metal lathe, which was my first inclination, I'd still be screwing with a rear chuck, router mount, taper bars, collets, etc, and the worst part is that I wouldn't even know what the hell I'm trying to achieve because I'd never done it before. I'd be flailing around experimenting and wasting all sorts of time and money. Instead of learning how to build cues I'd be learning how to setup machinery to build cues. It's not like I wouldn't love to have a nice metal lathe too, but I'm off and running already, and Chris is very patient with questions and advice.

Anyhow, there's a beginner's point of view. Part of what you're getting with Chris's lathe is an education in the kinds of things that make cue building easier, even when/if you add other tools later on.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
+1000

I'm a total beginner at this. I've had my Hightower about a month or so. I've already built my first cue and I'm busy processing wood and getting it in the pipeline so it will be ready when I am. If I had a metal lathe, which was my first inclination, I'd still be screwing with a rear chuck, router mount, taper bars, collets, etc, and the worst part is that I wouldn't even know what the hell I'm trying to achieve because I'd never done it before. I'd be flailing around experimenting and wasting all sorts of time and money. Instead of learning how to build cues I'd be learning how to setup machinery to build cues. It's not like I wouldn't love to have a nice metal lathe too, but I'm off and running already, and Chris is very patient with questions and advice.

Anyhow, there's a beginner's point of view. Part of what you're getting with Chris's lathe is an education in the kinds of things that make cue building easier, even when/if you add other tools later on.
Learning how to setup macninery is a waste of time and money?

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
+1000

To me those things are interlinked. Learning to use the machinery is part of cuye building.