Good players using TAD cues?

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I was coming up the best player in my poolroom had a great old Franklin' era Southwest.

One day this guy came in to gamble and he had a TAD. I didn't know what that was...but the good player said, "Oh wow...a TAD." He spoke of it in high regard.

Of course, we all know how fantastic these cues are. I was just wondering what good players used them over the years? Just curious...

Hunter

The King of Memes
Silver Member
When I was coming up the best player in my poolroom had a great old Franklin' era Southwest.

One day this guy came in to gamble and he had a TAD. I didn't know what that was...but the good player said, "Oh wow...a TAD." He spoke of it in high regard.

Of course, we all know how fantastic these cues are. I was just wondering what good players used them over the years? Just curious...

Lots of guys have used Tads. Probably the most notable was U.J. Puckett. Today's players even have a few. Ray Robles (Big Cat) on this forum uses one (even though I believe he just sold it on Ebay). I had an old one that was made before Tad started using his logo. Very solid hitting cues!

Steve

BVal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lots of guys have used Tads. Probably the most notable was U.J. Puckett. Today's players even have a few. Ray Robles (Big Cat) on this forum uses one (even though I believe he just sold it on Ebay). I had an old one that was made before Tad started using his logo. Very solid hitting cues!

Steve
WHAT!!!!! Ray sold his Tad. I told him I would trade my truck for it. Even up.

Dammit!!!!

BVal

CrownCityCorey

Sock it to 'em!
Silver Member

Ernesto Dominguez, Hawaiian Brian Hashimoto, Morro Paez, Bernardo Chavez, and David Hemmah to name a few.

Tad's are a pretty big deal and much sought after.

I always wanted a nice one myself.

jensen_lover

Pro Playa'
Silver Member
I think people get too worked up about the cues pros use. There is a guy who plays where I play sometimes that plays with a house cue. The owner of one of the local pool halls is a world class banker. He has been in the top five at the U.S. open twice I think. Anyway the guy that plays with a house cue plays just as good. Maybe half a ball weaker. I am extremely interested in the cues pros use but I know they will not make me play any better. Check out What's in the Case on YouTube and they inform you what cues a few big names use.

CrownCityCorey

Sock it to 'em!
Silver Member
I think people get too worked up about the cues pros use. There is a guy who plays where I play sometimes that plays with a house cue. The owner of one of the local pool halls is a world class banker. He has been in the top five at the U.S. open twice I think. Anyway the guy that plays with a house cue plays just as good. Maybe half a ball weaker. I am extremely interested in the cues pros use but I know they will not make me play any better. Check out What's in the Case on YouTube and they inform you what cues a few big names use.

Some people like to support the businesses that support their favorite players. It helps to keep everything going, and to keep them playing.

True, one does not need a custom cue to play at an incredibly high level, but really, it does help.

BigCat

The Panda Diaries
Gold Member
Silver Member
WHAT!!!!! Ray sold his Tad. I told him I would trade my truck for it. Even up.

Dammit!!!!

BVal

LOL!!! Sorry brother, but I already have a vehicle ;)

But don't fret my cheezy poof friend, I replaced it with <drumroll please>... another Tad! When I get it I'll show it to you. It's friggin awesome.

On the subject of the OP, I always think of Ernesto Dominguez and Tang Hoa. I don't think Tang uses them anymore, but I think he played with one for a long time.

Ray

BVal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

But don't fret my cheezy poof friend, I replaced it with <drumroll please>... another Tad! When I get it I'll show it to you. It's friggin awesome.

On the subject of the OP, I always think of Ernesto Dominguez and Tang Hoa. I don't think Tang uses them anymore, but I think he played with one for a long time.

Ray
Cool man. Can I hit a few balls with it? I got scared for a minute and thought you retired :eek:

BVal

bigskyjake

you heard the man
Silver Member

Ray

holy hell, that just brought me back some hilarious assed memories ala Brady, Freezer, and Mitch

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=91644&highlight=cheesy+poofs

Last edited:
Some people like to support the businesses that support their favorite players. It helps to keep everything going, and to keep them playing.

True, one does not need a custom cue to play at an incredibly high level, but really, it does help.

For the most part, it's the Indian, not the arrow. But, with that said, no one should underestimate the effects consistency has on ones overall game. Playing with a quality cue, day in and day out, can only be benificial. Granted, it doesn't have to be a very expensive cue, just the same one.

It's funny, I have spent over 100k on cues in the last 4 years. Everything from searings, herceks, bushkas to szams. Never owned a tad, not my style.

What do I play with everyday? A Gina, of course!

Rg

8ballEinstein

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There were plenty of Southern California pool players that used a Tad cue but Tad Kohara also sold a lot of his cues to Japanese customers when the game became popular in Japan. It makes me wonder which top Japanese players use a Tad.

Zirroe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe Tang Ho had a Tad - Crown City Corey would probably know best.

No Tang's cue was a Corsair that was made to look like a Tad, he still has that cue he showed it to me when I asked if it was a Tad. Although now a days he plays with a Kent Davis cue.