I Used to Use a System But Now....

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
Please pick out the definition of FEEL that most applies to planning to make an OB by hitting it with a CB. The sense of SMELL makes about as much sense as FEEL.
""I CAN JUST SMELL WHERE TO HIT THOSE BALLS"

feel
/fēl/
verb
verb: feel; 3rd person present: feels; past tense: felt; past participle: felt; gerund or present participle: feeling

1. be aware of (a person or object) through touching or being touched.
"she felt someone touch her shoulder"

•be aware of (something happening) through physical sensation.
"she felt the ground give way beneath her"

•examine or search by touch.
"he touched her head and felt her hair"

synonyms: touch, stroke, caress, fondle, finger, thumb, handle More

"she felt the fabric"

•test, try (out), check, assess

"feel the temperature of the water"

•be capable of sensation.
"the dead cannot feel"

•give a sensation of a particular physical quality when touched.
"the wool feels soft"

synonyms: seem, appear, strike one as
"the air feels damp"

•informal
investigate something cautiously.
"they want to feel out the situation"

•informal
fondle someone for one's own sexual stimulation.

2.experience (an emotion or sensation).
"I felt a sense of excitement"

synonyms: experience, undergo, go through, bear, endure, suffer
"you will not feel any pain"

•consider oneself to be in a particular state or exhibiting particular qualities.
"he doesn't feel obliged to visit every weekend"

•have the strength and energy to do or deal with.
"after the accident she didn't feel up to driving"

•be healthy and well.
"Ruth was not quite feeling herself"

•be emotionally affected by.
"he didn't feel the loss of his mother so keenly"

•have compassion for.
"poor woman—I feel for her"

synonyms: sympathize with, be sorry for, pity, feel pity for, feel sympathy for, feel compassion for, be moved by; More
commiserate with, condole with

"tell your mother we certainly feel for her"

3. have a belief or impression, especially without an identifiable reason.
"she felt that the woman positively disliked her"
synonyms: sense, have a (funny) feeling, get the impression, have a hunch, intuit
"I feel that he is only biding his time"

•hold an opinion.
"I felt I could make a useful contribution"

synonyms: believe, think, consider (it right), be of the opinion, hold, maintain, judge; More
informalreckon, figure

"he feels that he should go to the meeting"

noun

noun: feel; plural noun: feels
1. an act of touching something to examine it.

•the sense of touch.
"he worked by feel rather than using his eyes"

synonyms: (sense of) touch, tactile sense, feeling (one's way)
"the divers worked by feel"

2. a sensation given by an object or material when touched.
"nylon cloth with a cotton feel"

synonyms: texture, surface, finish; More
weight, thickness, consistency, quality

"the feel of the paper"

•the impression given by something.
"the restaurant has a modern bistro feel"

synonyms: atmosphere, ambience, aura, mood, feeling, air, impression, character, tenor, spirit, flavor; More
informalvibrations, vibes

"the feel of a room"

How does FEEL supersede the laser like accuracy of the eyes for specific sight or vision alignment.

Hey, if you want to play by FEEL, be my guest. It's YOUR game, not mine. Going into the memory bank and becoming second nature is NOT feel. It's still the eyes and accurate visual alignment. The difference is it's done at a much faster speed and knowing what and where to look with the eyes is very acute once trained.

Tap Tap Tap

nailed it brother!

ttys Dave- hope you re doin well.

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So how many $1,000 sets do you and all the other "aiming system" players play? How do you guys ever miss if these systems work?
I will take BasementDweller or myself to play every single one of the "system players" on here a race to 11, and by every single one that's what I mean, EVERYONE. Everybody post lets say $100(cheap enough) and I will play every single one of you. Would hope BD would also play.
I promise I will eventually get to every one of you.
Jason

Going by your other post where you stated that you felt you would most likely lose to B.D., you might want to rescind your post above. Now, nothing against B.D.'s game at all. In fact, I like his game. He has put in a lot of work, and it is really showing for him. He's one of a very, very, few in the area that are actually willing to work and improve. For that alone, I give him a LOT of props.

I'll just say this- at the last big local open trny we both played in, he didn't have to play in the upper division.

Can't help but wonder if you even realize that most of the better players on here have stated that they use some type of system at least part of the time when playing.

Thanks for the compliments on my game guys -- sort of.

I'm just a working stiff that loves to play so I don't take all the gambling propositions all that seriously. It's true -- I'm not a highly rated player. Most places I go to I can probably get a spot or play in a lower division. In my defense, some of that has to do with the fact that I don't compete very often or I just go and play in the team event like the event Neil is referring to.

I'm just happy to see the gang back together again slinging some mud around. It's like old times in here.

duckie

GregH
Silver Member
Please pick out the definition of FEEL that most applies to planning to make an OB by hitting it with a CB. The sense of SMELL makes about as much sense as FEEL.
""I CAN JUST SMELL WHERE TO HIT THOSE BALLS"

feel
/fēl/
verb
verb: feel; 3rd person present: feels; past tense: felt; past participle: felt; gerund or present participle: feeling

1. be aware of (a person or object) through touching or being touched.
"she felt someone touch her shoulder"

•be aware of (something happening) through physical sensation.
"she felt the ground give way beneath her"

•examine or search by touch.
"he touched her head and felt her hair"

synonyms: touch, stroke, caress, fondle, finger, thumb, handle More

"she felt the fabric"

•test, try (out), check, assess

"feel the temperature of the water"

•be capable of sensation.
"the dead cannot feel"

•give a sensation of a particular physical quality when touched.
"the wool feels soft"

synonyms: seem, appear, strike one as
"the air feels damp"

•informal
investigate something cautiously.
"they want to feel out the situation"

•informal
fondle someone for one's own sexual stimulation.

2.experience (an emotion or sensation).
"I felt a sense of excitement"

synonyms: experience, undergo, go through, bear, endure, suffer
"you will not feel any pain"

•consider oneself to be in a particular state or exhibiting particular qualities.
"he doesn't feel obliged to visit every weekend"

•have the strength and energy to do or deal with.
"after the accident she didn't feel up to driving"

•be healthy and well.
"Ruth was not quite feeling herself"

•be emotionally affected by.
"he didn't feel the loss of his mother so keenly"

•have compassion for.
"poor woman—I feel for her"

synonyms: sympathize with, be sorry for, pity, feel pity for, feel sympathy for, feel compassion for, be moved by; More
commiserate with, condole with

"tell your mother we certainly feel for her"

3. have a belief or impression, especially without an identifiable reason.
"she felt that the woman positively disliked her"
synonyms: sense, have a (funny) feeling, get the impression, have a hunch, intuit
"I feel that he is only biding his time"

•hold an opinion.
"I felt I could make a useful contribution"

synonyms: believe, think, consider (it right), be of the opinion, hold, maintain, judge; More
informalreckon, figure

"he feels that he should go to the meeting"

noun

noun: feel; plural noun: feels
1. an act of touching something to examine it.

•the sense of touch.
"he worked by feel rather than using his eyes"

synonyms: (sense of) touch, tactile sense, feeling (one's way)
"the divers worked by feel"

2. a sensation given by an object or material when touched.
"nylon cloth with a cotton feel"

synonyms: texture, surface, finish; More
weight, thickness, consistency, quality

"the feel of the paper"

•the impression given by something.
"the restaurant has a modern bistro feel"

synonyms: atmosphere, ambience, aura, mood, feeling, air, impression, character, tenor, spirit, flavor; More
informalvibrations, vibes

"the feel of a room"

How does FEEL supersede the laser like accuracy of the eyes for specific sight or vision alignment.

Hey, if you want to play by FEEL, be my guest. It's YOUR game, not mine. Going into the memory bank and becoming second nature is NOT feel. It's still the eyes and accurate visual alignment. The difference is it's done at a much faster speed and knowing what and where to look with the eyes is very acute once trained.

If it's my game then why do you give a shit if I or anyone else plays by feel?

Show me a systems that includes a method on how hard to hit a ball for a certain shot.

Show me a system that gives some from of info on how hard to hit a CB to get to a specfic position on the table.

Show me a system that will tell you where the balls will go when breaking up a cluster.

Feel involves the whole of a performing a complete shot not just some part of it. The eyes are only one part, getting the right shooting position is also part and feel is the only way to know if the shooting position is correct for the shot.

If the shoring position doesn't feel right, chances are you will miss.

Feel also involves the cue tip contacting the ball. From the feel of the hit I know if I stroked it right for what I want to do with the shot.

And so on....

So since you are not a feel player, why do you give a shit if someone else is, I means it's not your game right?

Then why get so bent out of shape, or are your just mental?

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
It works that way with ALL aiming systems. You learn to just SEE it. The difference is they have different perspectives and they do go into the memory bank and becomes second nature.

I work for a living and have no intention of becoming a pro player. You'd have to play better than Sky W. to make any real $$$. There just isn't much value in becoming a much stronger player sadly.

Actually, I probably won't even play the Masters league next session, since I don't have a table at home anymore and the GF doesn't appreciate me going to the pool room lol.
I've been holding up ok, but feel like I will probably start slipping in my play with only playing once a week on BB's to boot for the last 2 months.
I'm 7 - 0 in matches with 49 games won and 8 games lost for an 86% win rate, just ahead of Wilke(same team) at around 81 or 82% although he plays much better.
7-4
7-1
7-0
7-0
7-2
7-1
7-0
Maybe when this job is over(got extended for another year) maybe I'll try to put in the time

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nailed what? Explain what was nailed.

You guys seem to think there is only one way to play pool, to use a system.

Bullshit.

And yet, you are the one that claims ghost ball and the arrow are the only real way to aim. And that any other way is foolish and can't work. You are flip-flopping more than a fish out of water here.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
I work for a living and have no intention of becoming a pro player. You'd have to play better than Sky W. to make any real $$$. There just isn't much value in becoming a much stronger player sadly.

Actually, I probably won't even play the Masters league next session, since I don't have a table at home anymore and the GF doesn't appreciate me going to the pool room lol.
I've been holding up ok, but feel like I will probably start slipping in my play with only playing once a week on BB's to boot for the last 2 months.
I'm 7 - 0 in matches with 49 games won and 8 games lost for an 86% win rate, just ahead of Wilke(same team) at around 81 or 82% although he plays much better.
7-4
7-1
7-0
7-0
7-2
7-1
7-0
Maybe when this job is over(got extended for another year) maybe I'll try to put in the time

Fyi, I did contact JB and asked him about you. He said the two of you met at the SBE and you were a really great guy in person. That's enough for me.
(although he also said the same thing about Pat Johnson when meeting in person)

Hmmmm. I'll take his word for it on this one. No more bashing. From what you posted above, you play strong.

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds like he plays too strong. So Jason if you ever make it back this way keep in mind -- I'll be out of town on vacation that week.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Sounds like he plays too strong. So Jason if you ever make it back this way keep in mind -- I'll be out of town on vacation that week.

Lol. I'll be back the 9th, but won't make it out. One night in town to pick up my GF's kids then straight back to Baltimore

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
Is Loye on your team also?

7-4
7-1
7-0
7-0
7-2
7-1
7-0

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
It works that way with ALL aiming systems. You learn to just SEE it. The difference is they have different perspectives and they do go into the memory bank and becomes second nature.

this is actually proven false by yours truly.....

there is nothing to "imagine" when i say visualize in my Shadow "Pat Point" method......

when i say visualize, i mean your going to have to not keep focusing back on the CB because your shaft is your aiming device alone. It is a gun. Like a gun you aim it not the bullet, at least in my method here you do.

It has nothing to do with Rote, though it strongly promotes it, because of its simplistic nature.......

i aim a small tip at a tiny point about the size of a pin head thats literally there always....

its not dependent on square light.....because just like outside, all you need for a shadow is LIGHT.....so eyeballs and light are all thats necessary....

it doesn't even matter where the pockets are as well....you could move the pockets.......l

you could move the light to outlandish angles so its only going to cast on one side and a long shadow......and so long as i can shoot the cut from the shadow side....its going to GO IN THE HOLE

bet what anyone likes i could use the money.

you see it didn't take me a decade to figure out how to make it work.......lol

it took me a decade to figure the actual proof of why it works......visually and geometrically

even Patrick Johnson is going to bang his head into the wall at the BELIEF of it......

but i'm going to do a write up on my thoughts on aiming in general and how most aiming styles are actually detremental to players for no good reason. and play ok inspite of their methods untill finally they have hit shit tons of balls.....but just about anyone can have great Rote or "feel" after a million.

know not who they temp with thoughts of plunder lord

-Greyghost

Cuemaster98

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How long have you been playing?

Lol...what you have here is HAMB practitioner that developed his own visualization process through some long years of playing.....if you play long enough you'll realized that visual confirmation or feel is achieved with the eyes hence more focus is on the object ball (In rare case...you want the same focus on cue ball). When you're looking at the object ball sometime the connection you feel is much stronger if you can visualize your cue tip shooting not at the cue ball but at the object ball. This is a harder concept for some lower handicap players to understand but once I have them try to shoot a few shots where they are visualizing the cue tip is hitting the object ball (eg. If they are hitting 1 oclock on cue ball, they should visualize hitting 1 oclock on object ball)...they can experience it for themselves. Once you get the confirmation or connection established...you know your not going to miss the shoot :)

Having said that, it important to note that one of the goal of a good aiming system to teach a player how to aim so that eventually they don't have to aim at all as everything should be instinctive. The other goal, I believe is to help a player established their own visualization process (feel or confirmation) which I believe can be learned much faster thought if the player employ any one of these aiming systems available today rather than through a trial and error process. I believe once you get to a certain level of play....aiming becomes irrelevant as it should already have been established in your subconscious how you aim no matter how you arrive at it (HAMB or system). I know at the higher level of play, confirmation is not about whether you're aiming correctly but whether you understand the shot you're about to take. You may know all the secrets of the game but what I love is that you still have to execute it..lol.

I also just "see" the shot while standing. I see the contact point on the OB and then stand where the cueball would contact that point.
Once I drop on the shot I am already aligned, if it doesnt look right I stand back up. There is NO adjustment after dropping on the shot.

They keep saying that is a system, but I disagree. I have no reference point other than what my eyes are telling me are contact points on each ball.
I also do not adjust for english and play on tight pockets 4 1/8 - 41/4 without issue.

Saying contact point is a system is crazy, how else do you make a ball if the contact points are not lined up??? I cannot make the ball if my CB contact point is an 1/8th inch off to either side unless the OB is in the pocket.

What do you guys think?

Spider, I do not want to argue with you anymore, if we run into eachother at a poolroom around here I'd be willing to have a look at what you guys do.
The reason I don't understand it is that I just "see" it and don't understand why everybody else doesn't.
It could be that I've hit a million plus balls(probably) and my mind sees it by memory.
Jason

Last edited:

tonythetiger583

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When you're looking at the object ball sometime the connection you feel is much stronger if you can visualize your cue tip shooting not at the cue ball but at the object ball. This is a harder concept for some lower handicap players to understand but once I have them try to shoot a few shots where they are visualizing the cue tip is hitting the object ball (eg. If they are hitting 1 oclock on cue ball, they should visualize hitting 1 oclock on object ball)...they can experience it for themselves. Once you get the confirmation or connection established...you know your not going to miss the shoot :)

Could you elaborate more, this sounds really interesting.

Cuemaster98

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not much to elaborate on really, you are basically just trusting your stroke and subconscious mind to aim for you. To improve you just have to hit more balls and if you use a system that helps your subconscious to deduce and improved on aiming...you'll get better faster. The more you learn, the easier it get...really no quick way around it.

Have fun.

Duc.

Could you elaborate more, this sounds really interesting.

Last edited:

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not much to elaborate on really, you are basically just trusting your stroke and subconscious mind to aim for you. To improve you just have to hit more balls and if you use a system that helps your subconscious to deduce and improved on aiming...you'll get better faster. The more you learn, the easier it get...really no quick way around it.

Have fun.

Duc.

Agreed. However, if you have imprecise fundamentals you might be chasing your tail for years. Get a book like Mark Wilson's Play Great Pool and do what it says. If you can learn to stroke the cue straight back and straight forward you will improve much more quickly and you will realize that aiming is easy... it's delivering the cue correctly that is difficult.

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
Agreed. However, if you have imprecise fundamentals you might be chasing your tail for years. Get a book like Mark Wilson's Play Great Pool and do what it says. If you can learn to stroke the cue straight back and straight forward you will improve much more quickly and you will realize that aiming is easy... it's delivering the cue correctly that is difficult.

Not trying to be rude here, but rather than aiming is easy, delivering the cue is difficult, I would say that many players who struggle stand differently day-to-day. Solve that--and there are good solves for this problem--and cue delivery is also very much improved.

Just last night, I spent an hour with a student who was complaining about his sighting and stroke at the table. We fixed his approach, pre-shot routine and stance, and he felt better and played beautifully.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not trying to be rude here, but rather than aiming is easy, delivering the cue is difficult, I would say that many players who struggle stand differently day-to-day. Solve that--and there are good solves for this problem--and cue delivery is also very much improved.

Just last night, I spent an hour with a student who was complaining about his sighting and stroke at the table. We fixed his approach, pre-shot routine and stance, and he felt better and played beautifully.

Agreed. The whole body has to be oriented properly, and consistently, in order to allow a straight delivery of the cue.