US Open 10 ball & 8 ball is Back!

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
that's ****in gay.,

http://www.azbilliards.com/news/sto...-10-ball-us-open-8-ball-championships-return/

Glad to see this back. Thanks to CSI. But for ME, I don't like seeing pool played on 7 footers, I enjoy the 9 footers..... Thoughts anyone?

I hope this will also receive Mosconi Cup points.

7 footers is BULLSHIT!!!!!

That's just usbtc redux...

If it's not on 9 footers it's ****ing gay

Jaden

I've been a huge supporter of CSI but if this is what they come up with...**** THEM...

Last edited:

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
In fact, this reminds me of a joke by Kevin Pollack...

In one of Kevin Pollack's stand up routines he had this joke...

Jack in the box came out with bagel sandwiches...

Growing up in a jewish home I had lots of bagel sandwiches...

Do you know what comes on the bagel sandwiches???

ham, bacon, and sausage.....

You would think there'd be at least one jew on the board of directors who said "Fellaws....TRUST ME...nooo"...

This just seems like a cruel joke...

Jaden

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
US Open 8/10 Ball Championships are back...

No they're not. Not if they're being contested on bar boxes. I don't get it but hey, no one consulted me, LOL!

I've got mad respect for MG and CSI, but huh, what now?

Aside from the table size issue, it seems to me that this only dilutes the USBTC brand as the preeminent US bar box tournament.

I can only surmise the idea is this will hopefully spark more spectator interest from the several thousand players there for the BCAPL National Championships. I'm not convinced this is the case but I'm sure they know better than I.

Last edited:

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
This has me seeing red...

It's like if the PGA was to say... Hey let's play on a 60 par course this year...that'll be better.

There's a place for bar table pool...It happens every Feb...USBTC...

The open is supposed to be REAL pool. I could see them going to 10 footers but to go to bar boxes is ridiculous...

Jaden

Sounds like someone at CSI talked to mark while he was heavily medicated or something...

Last edited:

Tooler

AhSheetMaDruars
Silver Member
IMO.... all the so called majors, should be played on 10 foot only.

These two being played on 7ft tables is a sad joke..... :frown:

Now we have the "US10BallBARBOX" open...?

Come on.... this is a joke right?

fool4pool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's my 2 cents.

I love the work that CSI has done for the pocket billiard community.
Mark Griffin has done a commendable job for American pool players.

I'm happy to see that fellow posters made remarks about the So-Called return
of the US Open 10 Ball and the US Open 8 Ball.
What I read in the CSI posting is exactly what I expected.
What remains to B seen is if players will go along with the 7' tables.
I played in the US Open One Pocket 2 years ago. Of course I loved the experience
and expected to play in that event again!
It appears now that I won't B playing any time soon on the 9' tables.

Looking forward to reading the comments of the other AZers.

Noel

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Two bar box championships in one year. Who's been smoking the good stuff, 'cause I want some. Full on retarded to think this is even a good idea. 9ft tables otherwise I hope all current top ranked players don't show up.

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
My understanding is the added expense caused them to use 7 foot tables???

I do not understand "WHY" the BCAPL championships/finals/divisions could not be played on 9ft tables???

of course not all 9ft tables but enough for the event!!!

The ladies division or the seniors or juniors or any of these groups could get the bump up to a 9ft table VERSUS the pro players getting bumped down to a 7 ft table!!!

The cost to set up and ship a 9ft VS 7ft table must be very close??? I could not imagine a substantial difference???

Anyway, I do not want to be "critical" of CSI! Something is better then nothing, as they say!

KD

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
They will though that's the problem.

Two bar box championships in one year. Who's been smoking the good stuff, 'cause I want some. Full on retarded to think this is even a good idea. 9ft tables otherwise I hope all current top ranked players don't show up.

The promoters have the players by the short and curlies...and that's why it pisses me off.

Hell, I'll probably even go...That's the sad part. It's pathetic to play on bar boxes but when that's all there is, that's all there is.

and that's what makes it all the worse... We've got barry putting on a tourney how it should be, but not paying out and now the only real other player in town is switching to bar boxes...It looks like I'll have to incur the much bigger expense of going to turning stone and the expo..

Jaden

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
no you drop it down to a max of 96 or 64 even..

My understanding is the added expense caused them to use 7 foot tables???

I do not understand "WHY" the BCAPL championships/finals/divisions could not be played on 9ft tables???

of course not all 9ft tables but enough for the event!!!

The ladies division or the seniors or juniors or any of these groups could get the bump up to a 9ft table VERSUS the pro players getting bumped down to a 7 ft table!!!

The cost to set up and ship a 9ft VS 7ft table must be very close??? I could not imagine a substantial difference???

Anyway, I do not want to be "critical" of CSI! Something is better then nothing, as they say!

KD

You use fewer tables and cut off the max at 96 or even 64. you don't completely destroy the credibility of the title by playing it on bar boxes...

Especially when they already do the same damn thing in February and just label it correctly, USBTC

Jaden

This just further turns US pool into a joke...I can't believe how hot I am over this...

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great news. They're trying to rebuild. It's exactly what's needed.

They already have a zillion 7-footers there for the league tourneys, this puts them to additional use.

I'm not sure where we'd be right now in USA pro pool without CSI.

bfdlad

T-Wheels
Silver Member
Obviously Jaden isn't happy with this. However as he stated himself he will probably go and play in the event as will most other players. I don't think we should hope that players don't show as one poster had said.
I have no clue what brought CSI to the 7ft table decision but I am sure it wasn't an easy decision to make with plenty of back and forth on the merits of 9ft over 7ft tables. So they obviously made their decision for a good reason like it or not. Maybe it's to get the league players more involved and or at least interested in the Pro event. Remembering that the majority of league players play on 7ft tables and they can relate.
As a big supporter of Griffin, Ozzy and CSI in general I am personally behind them but this does beg the question of what is the difference between the US Open Bar Table Championship (8-Ball) and the now US Open 8-Ball Championship?? Location? I am asking as a fan.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You use fewer tables and cut off the max at 96 or even 64. you don't completely destroy the credibility of the title by playing it on bar boxes...

Especially when they already do the same damn thing in February and just label it correctly, USBTC

Jaden

This just further turns US pool into a joke...I can't believe how hot I am over this...
i think one's view of this depends on who you think these tournaments should be targeted towards. Who are they for?

If they're for the fans, the fans prefer the bar table tourneys. The league players - who are the natural fans - will eat this up. Some will even play in them.

If they're instead for the pros, to make them happy, then sure, play on 9 or 10-footers with 3.75" pockets. But good luck getting anyone else to care or watch - or fund them. The pros might as well just match up in basements and pool halls playing 14-hour one-pocket sessions.

bfdlad

T-Wheels
Silver Member
i think one's view of this depends on who you think these tournaments should be targeted towards. Who are they for?

If they're for the fans, the fans prefer the bar table tourneys. The league players - who are the natural fans - will eat this up. Some will even play in them.

If they're instead for the pros, to make them happy, then sure, play on 9 or 10-footers with 3.75" pockets. But good luck getting anyone else to care or watch - or fund them. The pros might as well just match up in basements and pool halls playing 14-hour one-pocket sessions.

See my previous post lol we must have been posting at the same time. League players I think will be able to relate to the 7ft and see what can actually be done on the same equipment as they use. It may give then a boost to get better.

To edit and add, I prefer to watch 9ft

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
It should be for the credibility of the sport...

Like I said, it's the same as the PGA coming out and saying we want to appeal to the lesser golfers out there, so this year we're going to play the US Open on a 60 par course that is mostly par 3 holes...

It turns it into a joke. The only reason players will play is because they have no choice if they want to continue to be players.

Jaden

leto1776

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think another shame is, some of the players who are playing in the USBTC and skipped the W10B might have instead gone to the W10B had they known there would be another barbox event later.

yobagua

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do sympathize with you Jaden. However you cant compare golf to pool. The payout at the US Open at Pinehust says it all. 20th place pays $108,000. With a payout like that you would get pool players from around the universe to play in it. The Us Open 9 ball 13th place gets something like $3500.

Now how does a promoter get the biggest field with the largest fan base and cost effective strategy. Perhaps this is what CSI is thinking. Build it and they will come.
There is no regulatory board nor a line up of sponsors. Just Mark Griffin alone.

For the pro pool player it might not be prestigious however just think of all the fish that will be there. Second and third tier will be trying out their skills as well. For so little prize money a pro cant be facing an Alex, Mika, Busty, etc at every tournament. Similar to Barry Behrman's US Open 9 ball. Only Barry cant make his nut.

Pool must have its premier events. But until it is controlled by a regulatory board like the NBA or PGA there is really nothing we can do except boycott. Mark G has to make a profit. He is a lone business man. At least he can make the payment at the end.

I wish CSI good luck but I will not be attending nor watching the stream.

Last edited:

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Like I said, it's the same as the PGA coming out and saying we want to appeal to the lesser golfers out there, so this year we're going to play the US Open on a 60 par course that is mostly par 3 holes...

It turns it into a joke. The only reason players will play is because they have no choice if they want to continue to be players.

Jaden
If these pool tournaments had multi-million dollar advertising contracts, millions of fans, waiting lists to get tickets to attend, and our top pros were millionaires, then your analogy to golf would be appropriate. The reality is that these tournaments had been cancelled. If they think they can make it work now with 7-footers, I wish them the best of luck.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
See my previous post lol we must have been posting at the same time. League players I think will be able to relate to the 7ft and see what can actually be done on the same equipment as they use. It may give then a boost to get better.

To edit and add, I prefer to watch 9ft

Yeah and I also wonder if it's because they've already got the 7-footers there for the league tournaments, they can just re-schedule things to use the same equipment for the pro tourneys rather than bring in new pro-only equipment.

I also assume this means no more invitational like they had last year.