What would YOU do here?

Underclocked

.........Whut?.........
Silver Member
(9-ball match with another AZ'er)

I had cut the 7 into the lower right corner at an angle such that a scratch in the side was highly unlikely, if not "supposedly" impossible. The cue ball came off that right end rail and had just enough energy to find its way to the tit of that side and sit there.

How would you handle the result?

deb2b5.jpg

The purpose of this post is to give my opponent flashbacks! :D

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think there are two legitimate ways to handle this situation. One is to masse around the point and the other is to take a two-rail route (right rail and then bottom rail). Both would be shot with the intention of pocketing the 8ball. Which one you choose to do should be determined by your experience, the table conditions and how badly you're hooked behind that point.

The only thing I would add would be going 1 rail for legal contact. If you feel your opponent is suspect to get out UNLESS he has ball-in-hand, then perhaps finding a way to simply not foul is the way to go.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

I had cut the 7 into the lower right corner at an angle such that a scratch in the side was highly unlikely, if not "supposedly" impossible. The cue ball came off that right end rail and had just enough energy to find its way to the tit of that side and sit there.

deb2b5.jpg

I'm going 2 rails around the 9-ball.
Trying to catch the 8 half ball or thinner...cue ball runs down the table...
8-ball goes to short rail...sometimes even behind the 9-ball.
Hit cue-ball half tip above center.

Me 'n' Reyes play it this way..but he's batting a little closer to 1,000...:)

mosconiac

Job+Wife+Child=No Stroke
Silver Member
If you know Little Joe Villalpando's "PoolIQ" systems, you would have no question as to what to do. Here's what the system tells me to do:

CueTable Help

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
I would do the one rail kick safe

I would kick at the eight on rail trying to hit the far side of the eight just a tad harder than to just hit the ball. If I hit it at all there is about a 60 % chance that if I hit it the right speed it will end up VERY difficult. If I come up short the eight is likely to end up on the back rail with little to no shot on either corner and if I hit it how I'm trying the most likely shot would have to be a bank in the side, I'm almost certain not to give up ball in hand....

Now of course it's going to greatly depend on who I'm playing against, if I'm playing a really strong player, then I might go for the two railer that most people seem to be suggesting, but a low a and below I'd shoot what I'm suggesting because while I'm certain not to make it shooting it that way, the two railer is only about a 25-30% shot at best and if you miss it, you're about 75% to leave an easy out.

Jaden

I'm going 2 rails around the 9-ball.
Trying to catch the 8 half ball or thinner...cue ball runs down the table...
8-ball goes to short rail...sometimes even behind the 9-ball.
Hit cue-ball half tip above center.

Me 'n' Reyes play it this way..but he's batting a little closer to 1,000...:)

My thoughts exactly, you have to do something that hits the 8 and seperates the CB and OB. The longer 2 rail kick and 1 rail kicks won't do this as well.

Lock N Load

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice post..... Underclocked.

deb2b5.jpg

My first thought would be to kick the 2 rail long way shot, to try and make the 8 in the corner. Or leave the 8 on the short rail if it did not go in the corner pocket. It would also depend on who my opponent was. The short 2 rail kick would be in my thinking too. But then I practice shots like this all the time. The long 2 rail kick that is. Because I see a lot of odd ball shots all the time. This is a pool player shot, not a pool shooter! I like your table lay out!
Regards,
Lock N Load.

Underclocked

.........Whut?.........
Silver Member
:D

I considered the two rail shot. My reason for not shooting that shot is these tables... they have recently been leveled and recovered with a nappy cloth. Something about that cloth is making any English at all very unpredictable. The more rails involved, the greater the strange behavior.

So I elected to attempt to go one rail, banking back from the right end rail with enough high left to force the cue back to contact the eight and perhaps make it in the near corner.

What happened instead was ridiculously lucky. :D The cue ball came back somewhat as intended but missed the eight, contacting the left cushion, then contacting the eight at just the right angle to head it toward the far lower right corner.

As the 8 appoached that corner, it became obvious that it lacked the steam to make all the way into the pocket. Cue ball to the rescue! Here it came, bouncing off that lower right cushion, barely clipping the 8 at the perfect angle and giving it the needed energy to make it into the corner.

The cue ball was barely deflected by the contact and wound up as shown giving me an easy shot on the 9.

Hope this diagram makes sense to you.

2ykfktt.jpg

Sometimes I get lucky, eh Tanner? :grin: :grin:

Underclocked

.........Whut?.........
Silver Member
Very little about that cueball's behavior made sense to me - but I had to accept the outcome. :grin:

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know many will disagree with me, but it is what I would and have done. I feel the two rail shot CAN give you the win, but odds are you will sell out. You better know just how that table banks for two rails. I prefer just going one rail. While I have made this shot in practice going one rail, the odds of making it are not good.

Instead, I like to carefully divide the area in half, and hit there. The object is to hit the side of the 8 and with the right speed to put it on the end rail. The cb comes off and leaves him going for the bank or a safe and probably using the bridge to do it.

Yes, if you don't hit it good, you sell out also. But, I find it easier to aim it one rail and be accurate.

CueTable Help

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One of the warm-up shots I practice on an unfamiliar table is the two-railer from the center pocket into the corner pocket. I have been shown a fairly simple system for this exact situation. Sometimes, it's not the pocket point. Somtimes, it's another ball. But the two railer can be made and should be tried.

There is no chance to win by going one rail. The two railer offers a chance to win the game. That is the deciding factor. From this layout, you're suppose to lose this game so you have everything to gain by going for it.

I will hit this ball 99 times out of 100. Sometimes it goes in.

Nice thread.

ZekeCv

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ok here is a close to impossible shot out of this lay out, but if your good enough and depending on how good the cloth and bumpers are..
kick to the edge of the eight with a good cut and hit, just touching the 8
the cue then follows the next kick into the 9 either pocketing it or
banking the 9 off the side rail into the top pocket if the 8 doesnt block.,

I know it would be near impossible, but thats this game, sometimes you gotta pull that out.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I know many will disagree with me, but it is what I would and have done. I feel the two rail shot CAN give you the win, but odds are you will sell out. You better know just how that table banks for two rails. I prefer just going one rail. While I have made this shot in practice going one rail, the odds of making it are not good.

Instead, I like to carefully divide the area in half, and hit there. The object is to hit the side of the 8 and with the right speed to put it on the end rail. The cb comes off and leaves him going for the bank or a safe and probably using the bridge to do it.

Yes, if you don't hit it good, you sell out also. But, I find it easier to aim it one rail and be accurate.

CueTable Help

I agree with this.

The first goal of any player is to make sure you hit the 8. The 2nd goal is to get safe. Since the 9 will help block the opposite corner pocket, any soft hit on the 8 will probably leave a difficult shot of some sort.

Main thing is to not completely sell out here and the biggest sell out is trying to get cute and missing the 8 altogether.

Chris