What was the name of......?

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The cue maker that was based in NY years and years ago, his cues didnt have bumpers,

thanks

Eric

rackem

SUPPORT CLUB MEMBERSHIP
Silver Member
This a subliminal MESSAGE

Early Palmers did not have Bumpers but they were in NJ
I would guess you mean GB. RAFFLE ONE OFF RAFFLE ONE OFF
Don't Forget! Club Membership is cool :cool:
George and Eugene were in a club. The no bumper club. :grin-square: :thumbup2:
clubmember.jpgGET ONE

mamono

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think you mean Frank Paradise. Also, wasn't Mike Ferdunka also in that area, he made cues without bumpers.

Last edited:

jason

Unprofessional everything
Silver Member
Sorry, I cant help you with the name, but hasn't there been several who make them that way?

Personally, I love the look of a cue without bumpers, but how unfunctional really. It is just about inevitable to hit your cue on the floor. I will occasionally slam the butt of my stick on the floor after being frustrated by a shot. I would hate to do this with a nice, bumperless cue. Hummm...maybe that would be a good thing for me! :)

That being said, I have seen slide over bumpers for cues (similar to a condom). I used to have a rubber "wrap" (for lack of a better definition) that I could slide over my cue. It was actually very nice when your hands get very dry and the cue is slipping out of your hand a little. I used to joke when I would slide on the condom that I was about to play "safe" pool. :p

P.S. I don't know where I got them, but if anyone does...please post links.

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
Sorry, I cant help you with the name, but hasn't there been several who make them that way?

Personally, I love the look of a cue without bumpers, but how unfunctional really. It is just about inevitable to hit your cue on the floor. I will occasionally slam the butt of my stick on the floor after being frustrated by a shot. I would hate to do this with a nice, bumperless cue. Hummm...maybe that would be a good thing for me! :)

That being said, I have seen slide over bumpers for cues (similar to a condom). I used to have a rubber "wrap" (for lack of a better definition) that I could slide over my cue. It was actually very nice when your hands get very dry and the cue is slipping out of your hand a little. I used to joke when I would slide on the condom that I was about to play "safe" pool. :p

P.S. I don't know where I got them, but if anyone does...please post links.

I just saw this last night! So.. ask and you shall receive...

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-CAROM-BLACK...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item5632808d44

Rich R.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The cue maker that was based in NY years and years ago, his cues didnt have bumpers,

thanks

Eric

Many years ago there were many cue makers that didn't use bumpers on their cues. Do you have any other information?

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
The guy you're talking about was "Bumperless" Bob Jankowski. He got the idea for a bumperless cue after his wife came home from a day of shopping with the bumper torn off the rear of their '57 Buick Roadmaster. Bob looked at it and said. "Who needs it."

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Early Palmers did not have Bumpers but they were in NJ
I would guess you mean GB. RAFFLE ONE OFF RAFFLE ONE OFF
Don't Forget! Club Membership is cool :cool:
George and Eugene were in a club. The no bumper club. :grin-square: :thumbup2:
View attachment 125208GET ONE

GB????????????????

95% of Bushkas had bumpers - and Eric certainly would know that.
(inside joke)

Dale

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think you mean Frank Paradise. Also, wasn't Mike Ferdunka also in that area, he made cues without bumpers.

Paradise was in New JERSEY.

IMHO - since it is Fatboy asking this question, he is looking
for someone pretty obscure.

Dale

Last edited:

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Many years ago there were many cue makers that didn't use bumpers on their cues. Do you have any other information?

Yes. Bumpers were associated with cheap house cues, so many custom makers avoided them. Of course, look at all the broken buttcaps of those old cues.

It's interesting that if a cue uses Delrin for the butt material, there is no need for a bumper because it's virtually unbreakable.

Chris

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The guy you're talking about was "Bumperless" Bob Jankowski. He got the idea for a bumperless cue after his wife came home from a day of shopping with the bumper torn off the rear of their '57 Buick Roadmaster. Bob looked at it and said. "Who needs it."

sorry my question was vague at best i was on a 2 hour call with a friend, and we were talking about bumperless cue, the guy had the shop open for 40 years or something like that, best I recall ha closed it in the last 5-8years. it wasnt a big name, big $$$, celebrity cue maker, i saw a article in one of the magazines about him closing up shop, he was very old and just shut down.

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
sorry my question was vague at best i was on a 2 hour call with a friend, and we were talking about bumperless cue, the guy had the shop open for 40 years or something like that, best I recall ha closed it in the last 5-8years. it wasnt a big name, big $$$, celebrity cue maker, i saw a article in one of the magazines about him closing up shop, he was very old and just shut down.

Please don't apologize Fatboy. I was only being facetious. It's Sunday morning and I haven't got anything to do until the Superbowl game starts.

FAST_N_LOOSE

<--THE AMAZING JESSE JANE
Silver Member

ABE RICH IS THE ONLY 40 YEAR PLUS CUEMAKER THAT I CAN THINK OF, THAT RECENTLY CLOSED SHOP... BUT HE USED BUMPERS.

Marcus

RFisher

FISHER CUES
Silver Member
Probly not who your looking for, out of your time line but Most Herman Rambow cue's that I've seen didn't have bumpers

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
RFisher...Rambow was from Chicago, not New York! :D Fatboy is/was looking for a NY cuemaker, and passed away recently. Herman Rambow died a LOOOONG time ago (late 60's IIRC).

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Probly not who your looking for, out of your time line but Most Herman Rambow cue's that I've seen didn't have bumpers

Last edited:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fatboy you suck for starting this thread, I'll be thinking about cue condoms all week now and chuckling randomly. People at work will probably start to throw glances at me.

RFisher

FISHER CUES
Silver Member
RFisher...Rambow was from Chicago, not New York! :D Fatboy is/was looking for a NY cuemaker, and passed away recently. Herman Rambow died a LOOOONG time ago (late 60's IIRC).

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Hence why I said probably not who your looking for. But some times people think they know what there asking or talking about and they are way off, for example about a month ago I was talking to Dave Jacoby at a tournament in Minnesota, I brought up My Black Boar that Burtain Spain put a leather wrap on, this other guy who was listening and fancies him self a cue expert thought he'd chime in and embarrass me and Said:

"Boy......that would be a hell of an Item except Burtain Spain Died in like 1975 care to make up another story"

So I slowly turned my head and Said: "Are you thinking of George Balabuska? Nice Try, now go read up on the Internet about all the cues you've never seen and you try again"

Just so you know, I wouldn't usually Say any thing like this to someone but this guy barely knows the difference between a cue Joint and a marijuana Joint, and he often acts and talks holy er than thou

I was just throwing that name out there just in case, Kind of like others are doing, try again.