Dr. Dave just retired from his "day job"

Maxx

AzB Platinum Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Many people seem to have a hard time "running away" from academia, and some return to keep teaching or doing research. I have no such plans. I already gave all of my teaching stuff away. I have no plans to return. Billiards is all I need going forward.

Regards,
Dave

Congrats, but it sounds like you’re still going to be teaching!

I know I’ve learned a lot from you and never set foot in your classroom.

tableroll

Rolling Thunder
Silver Member
I am happy to announce that I just turned in my final grades and finished my final duties as a university professor. This was my 30th and final year. Now I will have more time to dedicate to my billiards career. I don't plan to work a lot harder than I already have on my billiards stuff, but I do look forward to creating many more YouTube instructional videos. I also look forward to traveling to some of the billiards events (Mosconi Cup, US Open, SBE, Derby City, etc.) I have not been able to attend in the past due to being a slave to the semester schedule. Maybe I'll also write another pool book. My website and the countless articles I have written for Billiards Digest are a good first draft.

It feels good to not need to do all of the things that need to be done as a university professor. I enjoyed the career very much, but it was demanding at times.

My main New Year's Resolution is to play a lot more pool.

Happy Holidays,
Dave

PS: For those who did not know what my "day job" entailed (and are interested), the following two videos describe some of it:

interview dealing with how Dr. Dave incorporated his passion for pool into the engineering classroom

examples of what Dr. Dave's students did in the Mechatronics course he developed and taught

Looking forward to some high quality You Tube videos!!

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Congratulations on your hard work.
Cheers to a new beginning in your
next chapter.
Count me amongst those who are
grateful for all you do!

Happy holidays

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Congrats, but it sounds like you’re still going to be teaching!
Exactly. Teaching is my true passion. It just won't be engineering anymore ... just billiards.

Regards,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Keep your day job

it is honorable,dependable , worth while
Isn't 30 years enough for one career?

Also, I reach many more people through my pool instruction (especially on YouTube and Facebook).

Regardless, I already submitted my retirement paperwork, and I have no desire to return.

Regards,
Dave

Last edited:

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
That's awesome Dave. At 34 years into my job retirement is on my horizon also. I just have three more years of college with my youngest and I'm in there. Getting four through a top university was a big deal on a civil servants wage but the college (all four in the same school) was VERY good to us.

Look forward to seeing you again at one of the big events!

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Congratulations on your retirement, Dave. Welcome to the club. I've got my 40th college reunion in May, so if my friends are going, I'm going. Retirement means you have the time, and that's a beautiful thing.

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Congratulations...if I get to The Derby, I'll look you up... if you would like dinner and drinks on me. Many thanks for your great information.

kitsap

Registered
Dave,

Congratulations on this milestone in your life.

I am a CSU Engineering Alum that was gone before you started (BS EE, 1973) and I am now ten years into retirement. It is good to hear about Ft. Collins.

Retirement allows you to direct your efforts and time where you want them to go.

You will enjoy it!

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
Congratulations on your retirement. Maybe with you playing more we will see you win some events. Good luck with whatever you do now.

pab

Center ball can do it all
Silver Member
Congratulations! I hope you have a very long and happy retirement.

I am looking forward to the new content and hope to come take a lesson or two from you some day soon.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Good for you.
Maybe come to Felt on Saturday mornings and play with the old guys.
Thanks Bruce. I'll keep that it mind. But I'll need to get in some serious practice first before playing with you guys.

Catch you later,
Dave

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
dr dave
havent read thru the other posts...YET
but congratulations on your retirement
enjoy the ability to do what you want when you want...........:thumbup:
p.s. thank you for all the knowledge you gave to all of us....:smile:

Seth C.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks.

I doubt that. I do plan to play a lot more, but my passion and focus will still be on instruction instead of becoming a "player."

I appreciate the vote of confidence though,
Dave

Hey Dr. Dave — There’s this new thread going on simultaneously with this one. It’s entitled, “Which cue setup has more deflection.” It is already two pages long, and no input from you! All the usual, dueling suspects are posting and disagreeing. With all this newly found free time, and your stated “passion and focus,” are you falling down on the job already? Are you going to let something like your need to get your Christmas shopping done interfere with our need for reliable injections of your unbiased reason into these threads? 😉