How much more accurate are the REVO shafts?

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Predator Revo shaft for $500? Are you nuts? Predator is not a pool company anymore. They are a pool marketing company that directs their marketing towards the ignorance of the pool playing market. Do you really think the Revo shaft will make you play $500 better than playing with a house cue? Please. It's working on your game that makes you play better.

I used to play golf and the same guys that would buy a new driver every year would still slice 50 yards off the tee. I know some guys that own the most beautiful hand made cue sticks you can buy and miss by half a diamond. Sorry but JMHO.

I know someone that looks like he is sponsored by Predator with all the logos he has on shirts, case, cues. His Fargo rating is 70 under my 17 yr old son :grin:

I'd rather know I need to aim 2 mm to the left when using spin than put up with the hit of the Revo, or most Predator shafts I have tried.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Yup. Not everyone is the same. That's why I stick with maple shafts. Never saw what was so great about LD. Buy a Revo for $500. Enjoy yourself. It will probably make the shot for you. After all, isn't that what the thread is about. With the Revo your aim is better.

I'll never buy a Revo, but I won't insult anyone that does. And yes, for some, it's easier to shoot when applying English with LD. For others, they can do it with a maple. Of couse, I've yet to see an LD user "dog" someone for spending $300 on a regular maple shaft or $5K or a custom cue.

So, if I wanted to be snarky, I would reply "I'm sure they will both make the shot for you", but I won't because that is just what folks say anytime they get out of their comfort zone for any equipment.

Yet, folks, even yourself, don't use a house cue. So, there most be something to better equipment.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
I never consider deflection EVER! Guess its from HAMB, people with less time on the table might have to and I can see where LD would be helpful.

Now considet this - does my maple shaft deflect the exact same amount everytime on the same amount of englush and bridge? I would say yes, or we would be missing balls all the time. How much more accurate can it be?
Jason

That's great. Some folks play by feel, some don't. Maple works for you just like LD works for my game. That's a good thing, right?

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll never buy a Revo, but I won't insult anyone that does. And yes, for some, it's easier to shoot when applying English with LD. For others, they can do it with a maple. Of couse, I've yet to see an LD user "dog" someone for spending $300 on a regular maple shaft or $5K or a custom cue.

So, if I wanted to be snarky, I would reply "I'm sure they will both make the shot for you", but I won't because that is just what folks say anytime they get out of their comfort zone for any equipment.

Yet, folks, even yourself, don't use a house cue. So, there most be something to better equipment.

Played yesterday with a guy that uses the 12.9 mm Revo shaft. He also has the 12.4mm Revo. He just likes to buy equipment, the next big thing. He's got a couple of Shmelke's too.
I hit his Revo the last time I played. Didn't see what all the broughhaha was about. Like you say. Different strokes. Pun intended.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Played yesterday with a guy that uses the 12.9 mm Revo shaft. He also has the 12.4mm Revo. He just likes to buy equipment, the next big thing. He's got a couple of Shmelke's too.
I hit his Revo the last time I played. Didn't see what all the broughhaha was about. Like you say. Different strokes. Pun intended.

Oh, you mean he's just like the guys who buys LOTS of custom cues. The horrors that folks are putting money back into pool :eek:

jburkm002

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If 10 players using the same cue, same speed, same amount of english, aim for the same spot on the rail, say 7ft feet away. Would they have the same amount of deflection? Would some player be able to hit the contact point while others may be inches away? Let's say center with two tips of english.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member

I had 2 12.4mm & 1 12.9mm Revo's & I got rid of the 12.9mm because I didn't like it one bit. Too thick for my preference & to me bit was nothing like my Maple shaft & ivory Ferrules. Got to say I thought the 12.4mm would be the same & would be gone just as quick. Way different though & I wouldn't get rid of the 12.4's for anything. I even have 4 customs due to me this year, think they will be sitting in my case for the time being.

RWOJO

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Revo

I worked for a store and got in with a predator rep. I got to shoot with the Vantage before they even revealed it was coming out. I did a 2 page evaluation comparing it to Predator Z2 and 314^2. I compared it at several different speeds, incremental changes of English at all the speeds and tracked the deflection/squirt. With all that info I gave Predator, when the Z3 and 314^3 came out they started to compare the shafts at different speeds.

Due to that review and info I helped with, I was able to get my hands on the Revo back when there was only rumors of the shaft. I did my same testing on the Revo and got surprising results. Deflection wise - it plays about the same as the Z3 shaft. The deflection at lower speeds is so low you make practically no adjustment (well you adjust your shot for throw - but the cue ball goes straight). Then at medium speed the deflection is very low that at about 1/2 table away you still make no adjustment because the cue ball swerves back on line. Then at firm speed the cue deflects just like the Z3. So I submitted my review and did not agree with Predator saying that Revo was better than Z3 and 314^3 at all speeds. The last thing I tested on the Revo was Scratch/Dent resistant. I took keys to it trying to scratch it and nothing. I took the shaft and was hitting it off diamond wood rail of a diamond table - progressively hitting harder and harder. With the hardest hit being hard enough I thought it would break a wood shaft, and not a single ding or dent in the shaft. It was impressive how resilient the shaft was. The wipes that come with the shaft work great but so does some rubbing alcohol and a cotton or microfiber towel.

My consensus was this:
If you like low deflection shafts it all depends on what your shooting style is and what games you play.
If you mainly play one pocket, straight pool or shoot really soft on almost all shots - Z3 and Revo are for you. Playability will be about the same but the Revo has some advantages (easy to clean, smooth feel, scratch/dent resistant)
If you mainly play rotation games, 8 ball, bank pool or you shoot medium to firm speed on almost all shots - then Vantage is lowest deflection at those speeds.
Then the 314^3 falls in the middle of Z3 and Vantage as far as deflection at speeds. You will still have slight adjustments on all your shots no matter the speed.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
thanks for your opinion on the Revo shaft!
JoeyA

I worked for a store and got in with a predator rep. I got to shoot with the Vantage before they even revealed it was coming out. I did a 2 page evaluation comparing it to Predator Z2 and 314^2. I compared it at several different speeds, incremental changes of English at all the speeds and tracked the deflection/squirt. With all that info I gave Predator, when the Z3 and 314^3 came out they started to compare the shafts at different speeds.

Due to that review and info I helped with, I was able to get my hands on the Revo back when there was only rumors of the shaft. I did my same testing on the Revo and got surprising results. Deflection wise - it plays about the same as the Z3 shaft. The deflection at lower speeds is so low you make practically no adjustment (well you adjust your shot for throw - but the cue ball goes straight). Then at medium speed the deflection is very low that at about 1/2 table away you still make no adjustment because the cue ball swerves back on line. Then at firm speed the cue deflects just like the Z3. So I submitted my review and did not agree with Predator saying that Revo was better than Z3 and 314^3 at all speeds. The last thing I tested on the Revo was Scratch/Dent resistant. I took keys to it trying to scratch it and nothing. I took the shaft and was hitting it off diamond wood rail of a diamond table - progressively hitting harder and harder. With the hardest hit being hard enough I thought it would break a wood shaft, and not a single ding or dent in the shaft. It was impressive how resilient the shaft was. The wipes that come with the shaft work great but so does some rubbing alcohol and a cotton or microfiber towel.

My consensus was this:
If you like low deflection shafts it all depends on what your shooting style is and what games you play.
If you mainly play one pocket, straight pool or shoot really soft on almost all shots - Z3 and Revo are for you. Playability will be about the same but the Revo has some advantages (easy to clean, smooth feel, scratch/dent resistant)
If you mainly play rotation games, 8 ball, bank pool or you shoot medium to firm speed on almost all shots - then Vantage is lowest deflection at those speeds.
Then the 314^3 falls in the middle of Z3 and Vantage as far as deflection at speeds. You will still have slight adjustments on all your shots no matter the speed.

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
If you mainly play one pocket, straight pool or shoot really soft on almost all shots - Z3 and Revo are for you.

If a shaft A has lower deflection (squirt) than shaft B at one speed, doesn't it also have to have lower deflection at all other speeds?
http://billiards.colostate.edu/threads/squirt.html#speed

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
Last edited:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Dr. Dave needs to do tests on these new carbon shafts. Please?
I have been playing with a 12.4 mm Revo the last few months. I played with a Z-2 (11.75 mm) for many years before that. I think the amount of CB deflection (squirt) is very close to the same for both. I aim the exact same way when using english with both. The only things I had to adjust to were:

1.) The feel/hit is very different; but this isn't that important to me and I got used to the new feel and sound quickly. I only care about where the CB goes, not what the hit feels or sounds like.

2.) I had to get used to the larger shaft by learning to aim farther from center than I thought I should to get the desired tip contact point offset from center.

Regards,
Dave

Matt90

Trust the Process
Silver Member
Good to see you are still at it !

Hey Joey , I don't know about that shaft .Good to see you are still on here . I got married and now divorced since October .Been hitting a few balls and back on a team locally. Had the chance to hit a few balls with a cue without a ferrule last week , it was very accurate (Dennis Dieckman) . Will be looking out for a REVO shaft and see how they play . We have Ozone Billiards here so I may go by and test drive one . Thanks for staying on top of the latest as always ,good post .

Last edited: