Corey Deuel is the new U.S. National Snooker Champion.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
TAR 36: Road-Partner/North-American Snooker Showdown -- Deuel vs. Pagulayan.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Not bad for a pool player playing with a pool cue who just started trying to play it a couple weeks ago. Granted the quality of play was far far far less than the world professional standard but still Corey beat the best snooker players in the USA who presumably know the game much more than he does.

I wonder - again - how any pool player would do IF he had a really great snooker coach and a year to train?

Personally I think that they would do very well and Steve Davis pretty much said the same thing in an interview.

Flame away snooker snobs - tell us all it's not possible for a pool player to beat a snooker player at snooker. :)

Str8PoolPlayer

“1966 500 SuperFast”
Silver Member
I've been following Corey's career for many years and always admire his
style of play, ability to adapt quickly to new games, and his "fire" when he
decides to bear down and play his best.

Sure hope to see him again and again on the 6 x 12's.

He has given me a "shot-in-the-arm" of renewed interest in the game.
Can't wait for Tuesday afternoon with the Boys for a few rounds of
Snooker.

Great Job Corey !!!

Dopc

www.PoolActionTV.com
Silver Member
Way to go man...... Show'em the Ohio boys got some skills...congrats

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Not bad for a pool player playing with a pool cue who just started trying to play it a couple weeks ago. Granted the quality of play was far far far less than the world professional standard but still Corey beat the best snooker players in the USA who presumably know the game much more than he does.

I wonder - again - how any pool player would do IF he had a really great snooker coach and a year to train?

Personally I think that they would do very well and Steve Davis pretty much said the same thing in an interview.

Flame away snooker snobs - tell us all it's not possible for a pool player to beat a snooker player at snooker. :)

Sorry John, been there, done that. Rempe and Mizerak at the peak of their careers gave it a real good shot, including having 6x12 Rileys installed in their homes. Jimmy went the farthest, getting to the final 32 a couple of times. After a couple of years he gave up. He told me we have NO CHANCE against these guys over there, who have played all their life.

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
Sorry John, been there, done that. Rempe and Mizerak at the peak of their careers gave it a real good shot, including having 6x12 Rileys installed in their homes. Jimmy went the farthest, getting to the final 32 a couple of times. After a couple of years he gave up. He told me we have NO CHANCE against these guys over there, who have played all their life.

I have to ask... Jay did either of them actually work with a snooker coach or did they simply put the table in and try and figure it out assuming their skill set with a cue should be enough??

I'd say Corey will need a coach if he is to progress... Sadly here in the US we have instructors and not coaches... I think Lee was a snooker coach of sorts so maybe BB having them both in Vegas will allow Corey and Lee to work together.....

Chris

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member

I don't agree. Having a table installed in your house is way different than getting properly coached and putting in the time in a snooker environment.

The modern game with coaches and competition is way different now than in Rempe's time.

I doubt that Rempe or the Miz went to England and lived and trained there for year. To me that is what constitutes a real good shot.

I mean at the end of it it's balls and a stick man, balls and a stick, you just line it up and shoot it in :)

I look at another way, I see Rempe's limited success as proof that with REAL dedication and immersion the pool player could have a pretty good shot at getting high on the ranking list.

I guess we would need to hear from Rempe but I doubt he got a full time coach and learned the game the right way against tough competition in England.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Rempe went all the way, moving to England to compete. He actually played in the preliminary rounds of all the major events, making it into the top 64. He had some excellent coaching and was totally immersed in Snooker at the highest level. He just couldn't get over the hump. And he was damn good, one of the best players in the world at the time.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Great Shooting Corey, what a statement to make.

Great Shooting Corey, what a statement to make.

Sure they would do well, and a coach would speed up the process immensely....there's a finite amount of "moves" in snooker, it's just a matter of adjusting to a new series of "themes and variations" in their shot selection. It's not "rocket science". ;)

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Rempe went all the way, moving to England to compete. He actually played in the preliminary rounds of all the major events, making it into the top 64. He had some excellent coaching and was totally immersed in Snooker at the highest level. He just couldn't get over the hump. And he was damn good, one of the best players in the world at the time.

Someone should interview him about that. We should have a few more people trying it.

steinarne

Registered
Alex was offered a place on the professional tour and he turned it down. They have restructured the format this season, with all the players having to qualifier, earlier the top 16 were seeded into the last 32. People disagree whether or not this format favours the weaker players more than the previous format, but in theory it should be more fair.
Alex does seem to have the best chances of succeeding in the professional tour, but i guess we will never find out.

Lock N Load

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello Corey,
Congratulations are in order to you. Man what a job you did! You play pool pretty sporty too..... Play well, my friend.
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.

lee brett

www.leebrettpool.com
Silver Member
I have to ask... Jay did either of them actually work with a snooker coach or did they simply put the table in and try and figure it out assuming their skill set with a cue should be enough??

I'd say Corey will need a coach if he is to progress... Sadly here in the US we have instructors and not coaches... I think Lee was a snooker coach of sorts so maybe BB having them both in Vegas will allow Corey and Lee to work together.....

Chris

If he wants more help when we are here, then he knows i will help him. He asked me a few things before he went to Houston, and i gave him a few tips. We will be out hitting golf balls tomorrow and now its his turn to help me out ;)

Congrats Corey, great job kid..

telinoz

Registered
I'm sure Corey could do well playing Snooker.
If you visit www.worldsnooker.com you'll see they give people a chance if you enter Q School, 12 spots up for grabs on main tour.
If he wants a crack at it, plenty of coaches there to bring him up to speed.

I personally would love a USA player to make it on the World Tour, would open the game up in USA and with all the interest and numbers in Cuesports (obviously Pool being the main type played) it could get very big.
Your Pool leagues, all of them must total around 250,000 members (BCAPL, VNEA etc). So many people already holding cues and playing cuesports already.

I grew up in UK, played Snooker and Pool and now live in Australia (pool scene not that hot here to be honest!) but my trips to the USA I've loved each city and the huge pool rooms. There are so many to choose from!
If just 5% had Snooker tables, you guys would have a huge scene in USA.
The money is the biggest in all of the cuesports in World Snooker, just check out the prize money on the World Snooker site for the events. It's already big on TV in many countries already as well.

China has over 1 million active Snooker players, they also put a lot of money and time into Pool so that sets an example of large country and population putting time and money into cuesports.
Now you have what, 300 million people which is much larger then UK and other main Snooker countries.
As I've mentioned already, USA is such a great country for Cuesports you guys are missing a trick not getting big on Snooker scene.

Hopefully Corey or another couple of top pool players will take up the challenge and try and get on the main tour one day.
I would love for it to get big enough that there is a World Ranking event held in USA, could be a major tournament and I'd travel once a year to watch it!